Has the Catholic Church said who the Anti-christ was?

I know just about eavryone else has stated who they think it is (and it’s ussaly us) but, I was never told if the Catholic Church had a thought or if they were leaving it open. Thanks.

I am of the understanding, and I could be wrong, that the Holy Mother Church has said there have been several anti-Christ(s) over the centuries.

My brothers and sisters who are more learned than I - have there been individuals names?

From catholic.com/library/The_Antichrist.asp

Polycarp of Smyrna

“Everyone who does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is an antichrist [1 John 4:2-3, 2 John 7]; whoever does not confess the testimony of the cross is of the devil; and whoever perverts the sayings of the Lord for his own desires, and says that there is neither resurrection nor judgment, such a one is the firstborn of Satan” (Letter to the Philadelphians 7:1 [A.D. 135]).

Thank you, Andrei! I always learn so much from the people here! To know that St. Polycarp, who learned from the Apostles, can put it in such simple language - those who deny Him are anti-Him!

To my knowledge, no one has been formally called an anti-Christ by the Church, but the Church has told us, especially in Sacred Scripture, what makes someone an anti-Christ. While Pope Pius XII wrote against Fascism he never named names, identifying anyone as an anti-Christ. The same was true of John Paul II–he certainly condemned communism, but never made any public statements naming any communist as an anti-Christ.

Many Protestant denominations have named the CC as being the anti-Christ and that gets so old.

I’m glad to hear that the CC has enough grace and intelligence to NOT mention any particular name or denomination as being the anti-Christ.

O.K. Thanks guys. I was just wondering.

I read somewhere that the church had said that Jack Chick was the anti-Christ?

Just kidding, of course.
Josh

[quote=threej_lc]I read somewhere that the church had said that Jack Chick was the anti-Christ?

Just kidding, of course.
Josh
[/quote]

:rotfl: All of a sudden, I’m remembering something we used to say when we were about 6 years old - “Sticks & stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me” :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jmj

Threej_lc

I remember reading a story about a Catholic apologist’s (unplanned) meeting with Jack Chick – I think it was Jimmy Akin. During their discussion, Mr. Chick seemed friendly and conversational towards Mr. Akin, until he finally realized he was talking to a Catholic. Then he asked if Mr. Akin was “a Jesuit.” If you read some of the material from Chick Publications… you will see a common thread of paranoia and hate centered on the Jesuits. I was thinking, if I was Mr. Akin… the conversation might have gone a little more like this…

Chick: “Uh oh! You’re a Catholic? Are you a Jesuit?”
Jimmy: (Suddenly speaking with a deeper, softer, and ‘evil’ sounding voice) “Yes, I am. And now that you know, we may dispense with the pleasantries - you know why I am here. Your time has come.”
Chick: “Oh no!”
Jimmy: (Waits for a few moments… looming over Mr. Chick) “I’m just kidding of course! (Sits back down smiling) I’m surprised that you really thought I was gonna ‘get’ you! Most Catholics think you don’t really believe the sensationalist garbage you publish - that you just do it for the money! It’s nice to know that you’re not so much a corrupt liar as you are crazy.”

But, I seem to remember Mr. Akin handled himself very well during his “run-in” with Mr. Chick – I was proud. But, it would have been fun to mess with him a little!

May the Lord be with you!

Jason

It’s useless to try and identify the Antichrist he will not be known until he makes himself known when the Apocalypse begins he may not have even been born yet for all we know. But he is coming eventually.

[quote=jasonb82abn]Chick: “Uh oh! You’re a Catholic? Are you a Jesuit?”
Jimmy: (Suddenly speaking with a deeper, softer, and ‘evil’ sounding voice) “Yes, I am. And now that you know, we may dispense with the pleasantries - you know why I am here. Your time has come.”
Chick: “Oh no!”
Jimmy: (Waits for a few moments… looming over Mr. Chick) “I’m just kidding of course! (Sits back down smiling) I’m surprised that you really thought I was gonna ‘get’ you! Most Catholics think you don’t really believe the sensationalist garbage you publish - that you just do it for the money! It’s nice to know that you’re not so much a corrupt liar as you are crazy.”

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Jimmy’s encounter with Jack Chick can be read about here:
members.cox.net/jimmyakin/x-meet-jack-chick.htm

Josh

[quote=shannin]Many Protestant denominations have named the CC as being the anti-Christ and that gets so old.

I’m glad to hear that the CC has enough grace and intelligence to NOT mention any particular name or denomination as being the anti-Christ.
[/quote]

I am also gald that we don’t go running around pointing this or that as the anti-Christ. Isn’t it that Jesus hImself said that no one shall know the day nor the hour? Though that does not pertain directly about the anti-Christ itself, it does show us that just like Christ’s coming (meaning it will not exactly be known), the anti-Christ will surprise many people.

I enquired at Apologetics about this and never got a reply. So I’m left with the notion that maybe it was a silly question that needs no answer for. When I saw this post I thought then maybe it’s meant to be asked here.

Undoubtedly everyone knows that the microchip that can be inserted in the skin is coming out as a postive identification tool for everyone, and as govrnments as a result of terrorism have campainged about national ID and so forth, it’s inevitably a necessity in the not so far future.

There have been many implications attributing this to the mark of the beast (666). So does anyone know whether we as catholics have no problem accepting this chip when it becomes a necessity.

You can find the whole story here

I read something that said that at least some members of the early church may have believed Nero to be the Anti-Christ) and that one form of his name would have given the number 666 (when you do whatever they do to convert names to numbers - I don’t understand that stuff, lol)

[quote=notaprophet]There have been many implications attributing this to the mark of the beast (666). So does anyone know whether we as catholics have no problem accepting this chip when it becomes a necessity
[/quote]

I would really like an answer on this one as well - this is something that comes up a LOT in Protestant churches, and from a lot of different people… enough that I have even been afraid in the past that getting my dogs microchiped might be “heading down the slippery slope” So I’d REALLY like to hear what the Catholic perspective is - if the Church believes there are many Anti-Christs throughout the centuries and believes we are in the “millinium” now (as opposed to Protestant Pre- Mid- and Post- Trib-ers - all who believe the Tribulation will be coming followed by the “1000 year reign of Christ”) - it doesn’t seem like the chip would be quite the problem that the Protestants make it out to be - but I do think it would be quite a privacy issue to be sure - just because it may not be the mark of the beast doesn’t mean its something you want coming!!!

I read a book which surprised me by saying that there are only four verses in scripture to mention antichrist by name. As you can see it is no ONE person, but all those that deny Jesus.

1John2:18
Dear children, the last hour is here. You have heard that the Antichrist is coming, and already many such Antichrists have appeared. From this we know that the end of the world has come.

1John2:22
And who is the great liar? The one who says that Jesus is not the Christ. Such people are Antichrists, for they have denied the Father and the Son.

1John4:3
If a prophet does not acknowledge Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist. You have heard that he is going to come into the world, and he is already here.

2John1:7
Many deceivers have got out into the world. They do not believe that Jesus Christ came to earth in a real body. Such a person is a deceiver and an Antichrist.

somebody connected with the Catholic Church may have hurt Jack Chick very badly for him to have the level of hatred he does for the Church. Anyone who labors under a “conspiracy mentality” is also suffering. let us pray for him.

I totally agree with those verses Alexandra. I believe also that they were fullfiled right from the time of Jesus which ultimately led to His brutal death. Through the ages there were always antichrists right up to now, but the bible speaks of the king of the sort which is described as the beast.

Now none of the antichrists so far has prevented us from selling or buying without his mark or let alone forced to be marked. Hence I believe he hasn’t entered the world stage as yet. Scripture warns us to be wise at working out his mark meaning that it won’t be necessarily obvious.

In hindsight the link that I refered to above offers an explanation of this mark that I now think is too easy as requiring wisdom to working it out. Thus I conlcude it can’t be.

However if it does become a reality where consequently we can’t buy or sell without it then it’s big problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.