Has the 'gay gene' been found?

I was having a discussion with a friend and he claimed that it has been proven that homosexuality is caused genetically. Is this correct? I thought it was nurture rather than nature.

Like other behaviors, it’s probably both.

No. Not proven, I think.

I hope not. Every time something is identified as genetic, it gives people another reason to justify abortion. :frowning:

No “gay gene” has ever been found. (I am not saying it cannot be found or won’t be found. I am just saying here that a “gay gene” has not been found despite phony claims of such.)

And to pre-empt other possible claims . . . .

No “bisexual gene” has ever been found either.

Also no “adultery gene” has ever been found.

And no “pedophile gene” has been found.

No genes found for chasing animals, no genes for necrophilia, and no other deviant genes have been found.

There has been purported to have been found a “gay gene”. This has been debunked.

The psychological genesis of the homosexual condition remains largely unexplained.

CCC 2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Did he claim that a straight gene had been found, too? If there’s a gay gene, there’s probably a straight gene. I’m sure glad my parents carried that gene.

There are no straight genes. I think they are all coiled or helix shaped. :smiley:

If anyone ever claims to have found a gay gene, someone’s going to have to come up with a way to explain why some people with SSA come to a point in their lives where they no longer have SSA. :shrug:

I mean, I have a gene for brown eyes. That’s not going to change in the future. So if there’s a gay gene, that would mean that SSA can never change. And it does sometimes.

That’s an easy one.

As with most things, homosexuality can have more than one cause. Not everyone may experience homosexual attraction for the same reason. Despite some people claiming real change in their lives, the vast majority of homosexual people experience a lasting predominate or exclusive attraction to the same sex. It is unfair and simplistic to say that all homosexual persons experience what they do because of their environment or choicess just because there are some cases where people say they have gone gay to straight.

I think its something ‘learned’, I met this one guy recently, he was new employee at one of our stores, he was a guy, in his mid 30s, and when I heard him talking, before I had been introduced, I knew he was gay…Im sure many of you know what Im talking about, most gay men, have this certain ‘manner’ of speaking, its not an accent, Im not really sure what is, but Ive heard this type of speaking many times, and every single time, the guy turned out to be gay.

Now, I have a feeling, they did not talk like this when they were young kids, it was something, they picked up, somewhere along the line.

Does anyone else know what Im talking about? anyone have an theories on how/when they start talking like this?

No, a gay gene has not been found.

However, there is a theory about epigenetics, which has to do with gene expression, and this is what I think is the best scientific explanation for why people are gay.

Here’s a wiki on it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetic_theories_of_homosexuality

Once, when I was atheist 10 years ago, there was a man who spoke like that where I worked and assumed he was gay so I made a joke about religious people who oppose homosexuality (I know, inappropriate, but I was young!), and the guy got mad at me because he thought homosexuality was evil and against God. So, I don’t think he chose to talk that way nor that he practiced homosexuality…but that was the way he talked. I would assume since his youth.

In my experience, the guys who speak like that (gay or straight) have a tendency to have girls as best friends. They connect more with girls socially and subconsciously pick up mannerisms and slang from girls.

The opposite it is true of lesbians, many (not all) have a tendency to speak like a guy. In those instances, those girls were often tomboys and connected socially with boys.

I think a lot of this confusion comes from allowing young children to play with toys and role playing games traditionally for the opposite sex.

The gay people I grew up with all played a lot with the opposite sex when they were young, more than the average kids. Their parents didn’t think anything of it and often encouraged it.

I thought they were shaped like Xs and Ys. Maybe I’m thinking of chromosomes.

We all have crosses in one way or another.

Well he said that it has and provided this link
journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=B1FA3E3B7EBD4025B7CD6E5B446401E2.journals?aid=9625997&fileId=S0033291714002451

Seems legit

+JMJ+

To find a genetic basis for homosexuality would actually be tantamount to finding that homosexuals are evolutionary deadends, since homosexuals have behavioral impediments to transmit their genes sexually.

I don’t think you thought that through … Infertility, for a myriad of reasons, can be congenital too.

+JMJ+

On the contrary, I thought about that a lot. That is why I will never ever consider homosexuality to be genetic in origin unless incontrovertible proof is provided.

Besides, congenital means “present from birth.” Congenital problems do not necessarily mean that they are genetic in origin.

Well, that is one study that lends support for genetic links. But that is a far cry from proving that there is a “gay gene”. Even if there is a genetic factor, that doesn’t therefore mean it is the only factor.

In any event, what difference does it make? From a Catholic moral standpoint, the cause of same-sex attraction is irrelevant. Acting on that attraction remains intrinsically disordered and is sinful. That is true whether the cause is genetic, psychological, or some combination of the two.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.