Has there been a change to the mass?

For the last year or so, I have noticed during the opening of the LITURGY OF THE EUCHARIST PRAYERS that someone always leads the congregation from sitting to standing (during the prayer) while the congregation is responding to the preist:

Priest: Pray, my brothers and sisters, that our sacrifice
may be acceptable to God, the almighty Father.
All: May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands,
for the praise and glory of his name,
for our good, and the good of all his Church

Since when have we ever moved from sitting to standing during a prayer? I have noticed this at several masses in several different churches. Was this something that the USCCB instituted and all are doing it as new rubrics or is this (a small) abuse?

It almost feels chaotic to me, does anyone know the truth behind this new practice?

Thank you, I am just curious

[quote=josiecoe]For the last year or so, I have noticed during the opening of the LITURGY OF THE EUCHARIST PRAYERS that someone always leads the congregation from sitting to standing (during the prayer) while the congregation is responding to the preist:

Since when have we ever moved from sitting to standing during a prayer? I have noticed this at several masses in several different churches. Was this something that the USCCB instituted and all are doing it as new rubrics or is this (a small) abuse?

It almost feels chaotic to me, does anyone know the truth behind this new practice?

[/quote]

Our Bishop sent a letter to the Priests and included it in our monthly periodical from the diocese talking about this change and some others. The rationale is that we are rising up in celebration at the Celebrants invitation that the “sacrifice is acceptable.”

It is my understanding that the Pope is about to instruct two more changes in the Liturgy. One is to eliminate the Sign of Peace in the middle of the Liturgy of the Eucharist and the other is to remove the “Memorial acclamation”-Christ has died, Christ has risen, etc…

[quote=josiecoe]For the last year or so, I have noticed during the opening of the LITURGY OF THE EUCHARIST PRAYERS that someone always leads the congregation from sitting to standing (during the prayer) while the congregation is responding to the preist:

[/quote]

I don’t have the link handy, but it is part of the new GIRM promulgated in 2003. We are now to stand for the Orate Fratres (pray brethern). It’s done before the prayer, but since the prayer the priest says before the Orate Fratres is silent, we stand when the priest begins the prayer.

Like Swiss Guard said, it’s a change that was implemented in 2003. HOWEVER, some dioceses/archdioceses have ignored these changes. In our (limited) travels about the US, it’s always a toss up when to stand!

Cathy

Our pastor has us stand before he starts the prayer.

[/quote]

Actually you should already be standing before beginning the prayer. We should stand just after the priest washes his hands and turns back towards the altar.

[/quote]

we are now supposed to stand BEFORE that prayer begins, but some priests are forgetting to direct or motion people to stand, or we are still in a learning curve, because people are standing during the prayer in at least 7 parishes I have visited this summer, or all thru the prayer as they try to catch up. We need catechesis on the changes and proper direction on how to comply. Like most liturgical changes, our chances of getting this teaching from the pulpit are slim to none.

[quote=CathyD]Like Swiss Guard said, it’s a change that was implemented in 2003. HOWEVER, some dioceses/archdioceses have ignored these changes. In our (limited) travels about the US, it’s always a toss up when to stand!

Cathy
[/quote]

is it my imagination or did certain “progressive” bishops, pastors and liturgists jumped like ducks on a junebug on the changes that allowed (not in the US) standing during the Eucharistic prayer and during the “communion procession” while dragging their feet on implementing all the reforms mandated for the American Church that were intended to accentuate the importance and centrality of the Eucharist and the Real Presence?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.