Has there been a good Christian/Catholic book written in response to The God Delusion?

This is something that I've been wondering a good while and I was hoping that someone here could help me.

I noticed that with the publication of The God Delusion, there was a virtual tidal wave of atheistic books along the same lines as TGD and which a LOT of people seem to have read. Books like God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens come to mind. Shame that I cannot find a single Christian book which answers any of the arguments given in any of these books.

In my talks with people on the subject of religion, books like these seem to come up a LOT. Particularly when dealing with under-30s. I was wondering if any major Christian writer has actually written any sort of answer regarding the arguments of TGD and these atheistic books?

As a matter of fact, Patrick Madrid has written "The Godless Delusion" in response.

I trust it is an excellent resource but I have not read it myself.

Also, there is a book called "Answering the New Atheism - Dismantling Dawkins' Case Against God" by Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker.

I hope that helps!

:blessyou:

[quote="Kouyate42, post:1, topic:250356"]
This is something that I've been wondering a good while and I was hoping that someone here could help me.

I noticed that with the publication of The God Delusion, there was a virtual tidal wave of atheistic books along the same lines as TGD and which a LOT of people seem to have read. Books like God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens come to mind. Shame that I cannot find a single Christian book which answers any of the arguments given in any of these books.

In my talks with people on the subject of religion, books like these seem to come up a LOT. Particularly when dealing with under-30s. I was wondering if any major Christian writer has actually written any sort of answer regarding the arguments of TGD and these atheistic books?

[/quote]

I understand what you mean, I understand you viewpoint.
But if Catholics are like me, I simply do not read those books and pay no attention to them.
Now, would a book to refute them be a good commercial bet? To be against the Pope and the Catholic Church is good business. To defend Her, I think it is not so good.
But if you want to become Catholic, all those critics I tell you, they do have an answer. Just pick them up, come here with them one by one, and you will find nice an knowledgeable guys who are ready to help you.
I insist, all those questions have answers, for most of them are crazy questions addressed to people who are ignorant of the Catholic Church.
I have seen Christ as a Rock Star, as a human being only, as married to Mary Magdalene and I was told of one where He is homosexual. You have got no patience for that. I could invent some more, like him being polygamous, being a serial killer, or whatever stupid thing would come to my mind so that my book would sell, my movie would make me rich.

But 100 from now, those movies and books will be just dust and Christ will go on in His Glory.

[quote="Kouyate42, post:1, topic:250356"]

[/quote]

There is a Catholic website that tries to tackle some of these arguements:

ArguingWithAtheists.com

God Bless

What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza is also a good read. He quotes modern atheists a lot and provides a great defense of Christianity.

Thanks! Catholic Books correcting the great number of attacks on God, Christ, The Church are written to correct The attack errors, not to be best sellers, although several have been. We tend to be Truths of God, His Church, Goodness inclined, more than money, fame. That is preciselly why we draw so Many Converts, and sales. [LIST] In this age of rapidly growing Visuals and media, we have outstanding sites like [SIGN] EWTN, now worldwide and All Media, including EWTN.com, Satelitte and SW radio and smartphones[/SIGN] (Which viewing brought me back to The Church 20 years ago) and our [SIGN]CAF.[/SIGN][/LIST] In this self-centered, greed, power driven secular world, There is major seeking the Ideal, the Spiritual: Only fully found in The Lord, His massive 1.3 Billion Church

Thank you to all people who've answered!

[quote="ibo, post:3, topic:250356"]
I understand what you mean, I understand you viewpoint.
But if Catholics are like me, I simply do not read those books and pay no attention to them.
Now, would a book to refute them be a good commercial bet? To be against the Pope and the Catholic Church is good business. To defend Her, I think it is not so good.

[/quote]

Problem with books like the God Delusion is that a LOT of people DO read them. The ideas of these books have reached far and wide and have done a lot of damage. Same with any other of the atheistic bestsellers of the same vein. You can guarantee that some lukewarm believers will have been lost when all they needed was adequate instruction in their faith instead.

Another example of the damage a book can do is The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. People actually believe the words of a fictional story to be the truth over the Bible and the teachings of the Church..

But if you want to become Catholic, all those critics I tell you, they do have an answer. Just pick them up, come here with them one by one, and you will find nice an knowledgeable guys who are ready to help you.
I insist, all those questions have answers, for most of them are crazy questions addressed to people who are ignorant of the Catholic Church.

INdeed, places like CAF have been a godsend to me, along with the internet in general.

I have seen Christ as a Rock Star, as a human being only, as married to Mary Magdalene and I was told of one where He is homosexual. You have got no patience for that. I could invent some more, like him being polygamous, being a serial killer, or whatever stupid thing would come to my mind so that my book would sell, my movie would make me rich.

But 100 from now, those movies and books will be just dust and Christ will go on in His Glory.

There's a reason that the Church has survived for 2000 years!

The Last Superstition (TLS) by Feser is great. The other recomendations are very good as well. I like TLS because Feser takes you through a tour of philosophical history while showing you the errors of the New Atheists along the way. TLS is the best starting poing in my opinion.

The Irrational Atheist: Dissecting the Unholy Trinity of Dawkins, Harris, And Hitchens by Vox Day voxday.net/mart/TIA_free.pdf

Day is a secular author who does not argue for religion. He simply shows where the argumensts and "facts" of these atheists simply don't hold water.

If there was no Creator, then EITHER "Absolute Nothing" naturally evolved into "something" to form the early universe (it's scientifically illogical that nothing could create something), OR, time and space have always existed in some form or another with NO beginning (scientifically illogical). If time and space were not Created, then the universes and cosmoses had no beginning and the idea of a creatorless Big Bang is a false delusion. The 2 creatorless reasons for the existence os the universe are unscientific and illogical = not superior to the idea of no creator.

Web:
1. Adult Faith Education Series (Download PDF files; Recapturing Reason and The God Delusion and Other Errors in Logic): basilica.org/pages/adultfaith.php

Books:
1. New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy by: Robert J. Spitzer.
2. God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? John C. Lennox (Author).
3. Chance or Purpose? Creation, Evolution and a Rational Faith [Hardcover]
Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn (Author).

catholicaudio.blogspot.com/search/label/Atheism

The greatest answer to the atheist Writers are the Simplest: (1) Without A Creator Mastermind, how could We, the Earth, and laws of nature be here? (2) The Mathematical Odds of the Universe happening 'accidentally' are Absolute Zero, because of the "Intelligence" In it. (Even we are sometimes kinda smart, unless we get smart-alleky.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.