Has there ever been a lifelong anti-Catholic who converted?

Browsing the forums, I was reading about Dr. Beckwith’s conversion to Catholicism and James White’s rather panicked reaction.

I was wondering if someone knew of a person in history who did apologetics AGAINST the Catholic Church most of his/her life and converted to Catholicism late in life or on a death bed or something.

What I am trying to see is if there have been people whose lives paralleled the likes of James White who were still able to see the truth in the end.

Sometimes people claim Voltaire recanted on his deathbed but this seems to have been wishful thinking.

Saul of Tarsus.

Saint Augustine.

This is ridiculous, your inferring that Christians who disagree with Rome are persecuting Christ!!! I AM OFFENDED!

Is that what I said? :confused:

I am confused as how one can be offended by the conversion of Paul… or are you being sarcastic?

Thank you both, I even thought of Paul myself. I guess I was looking for someone more modern in this apologetic age, maybe even since the time of Luther…someone who was a “Christian” but not a Catholic Christian, who also openly opposed the Catholic Church.

:rolleyes:

it’s the inferrance that if one is a-catholic, one is like the pre-Christian Paul.

huh?

No I think the inferrence is Paul was Anti-Christian…Since the only Church at the time was the Catholic Church…then that would have me made him anti-Catholic as well…If that offends you…stating what we know as true. I.E. The Catholic Church is the Church founded by Jesus…Then you need to go elsewhere Simon. :rolleyes:

There was a Church in existence at the time of Saul of Tarsus.
Saul of Tarsus persecuted that Church.
That Church was the Catholic Church, the one with the Apostolic Succession.
Now if folks believe that we are talking about a different Church from the Catholic Church here, then go ahead and set out your thinking on that. OK? Thank you.

:tiphat:

Since you are at 1900 posts on this forum, you know Catholics understand there to have only been the Catholic Church from the beginning, and therefore his comment really should not have been offensive to you.

I think that Dr. Scott Hahn was an anti-Catholic prior to conversion.

And so this first conviction was to help my Catholic friends to see the simple Gospel of Jesus Christ, to show them the Bible, and to show them that in the Bible, you just accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and that’s all it takes. None of this claptrap: Not Mary, not the saints, not purgatory, not devotions, just asking Jesus to be Savior and Lord.
Around that time I was dating a girl who was Catholic, and we were becoming more serious. But I knew there was no future in our relationship if she remained Catholic. So I gave to her a very large volume, a book by Loraine Boettner entitled Roman Catholicism. It’s known as the bible of Anti-Catholicism. It’s four hundred and fifty plus pages filled with all kinds of distortions and lies about the Catholic Church. But I didn’t know that at the time, so I shared it in good faith with her…

zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~vgg/rc/aplgtc/hahn/m1/sctcnv.html

[SIGN]
[FONT=Georgia][size=4]Her[/size]
comment
:slight_smile:
[/SIGN][/FONT]

I think his outburst confused everyone because he didn’t articulate his position well.

His offense to the use of St. Paul as an example is this:

He does not consider that his or any Christian’s opposition to the Catholic Church is indeed an opposition to Christ, rather, just the opposite. He believes that his opposition to the Catholic Church is working on behalf of Christ to keep people from error and from a true relationship with Christ.

This is why he is offended, you have inadvertantly made him (and all those Christians who oppose the Catholic Church) a persecutor instead of a champion of Christ.

It’s all a matter of perspective. :wink:

Tim Staples converted while doing anti-Catholic witnessing, but he’s not so famous outside the Catholic Church. (Maybe not inside the CC, either—I don’t know.)

Cardinal Newman? He wasn’t exactly an anti-catholic though.

Ut

[quote=Jeanette L]I think his outburst confused everyone because he didn’t articulate his position well.
[/quote]

How is naming Saul of Tarsus an ‘outburst’? :confused:

[quote=Jeanette L]This is why he is offended, you have inadvertantly made him (and all those Christians who oppose the Catholic Church) a persecutor instead of a champion of Christ. It’s all a matter of perspective. :wink:
[/quote]

It is not a matter of perspective. History is not relative. Stuff happened. And stuff did not happen.

What did not happen was Luther nailing his 99 theses to the door before Saul of Tarsus fell off his horse. Or do you disagree with this observation?

Saul persecuted the Church. Please be good enough to name any Church other than the Catholic Church which was in existence at the time of Saul of Tarsus.

No offence was meant. If offence was taken, then perhaps next time we should not mention the absence of Luther in the first century? Add another elephant to the room?

:ehh: Yikes!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.