Has there ever been a saint subjected to demonic possession?

Has there ever been a saint subjected to demonic possession?

Yes.

St. Mary Magalene had 7 devils cast out of her, according to the Gospels.

and then there were many saints attacked, not possessed, by demons. E.g. St. Catherine of Siena, St. John Bosco (19th century), St. Pio (Padre Pio, 20th c.).

According to the notes in “The Rite” (which is about the training of the exorcist for the Diocese of San Jose) Catherine of Siena, St. Teresa of Avila, and St. John Vianney were all troubled by demons.

It is unclear if Mary Magdalene was a follower of Christ before she was possessed, no? I’m wondering if there have been people who were already baptized and following Christ who were possessed.

Yes…there is a story of a nun in Rome who suffered with a demon for some 40 years.

If anyone has the name of this nun, please let me know. A web search for “Roman nun possession” turned up all kinds of crazy stuff.

here…

books.google.com/books?id=DoSiWx421FoC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=sister+janica&source=bl&ots=CF7sbi7EIf&sig=TClOlUifTt2LQA2d3eBliQj2uN0&hl=en&ei=ucXwStaKDIWosgPKpISGBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sister%20janica&f=false

sorry for the huge link, don’t know how to make it smaller.

Thank you. :o

Anytime you want to shorten a link, you can highlight a word, click the little globe-link icon and put the link in there. Or you can use a shortcut website like tinyurl.com. Just paste in the long link there and hit enter and it will automatically create a short little address for you. :o

Has anyone ever read The Rite? I’m thinking of ordering it and want to know opinions. What about Chief Exorcist of Rome, Father Gabriele Amorth’s book, An Exorcist tells his Story?

I’ve read The Rite, and also Interview with an Exorcist. Although The Rite discusses exorcisms, and gives examples from the perspective of the involved priests, it is really about the training of a priest from the Diocese of San Jose, who was sent to Rome to learn how to become an exorcist. I know some of the people mentioned in the book, so it was of particular interest to me. I found it to be very eye opening, not really the way it’s portrayed in the movies, etc. (not too surprising, there, but sometimes that’s all you have to go by).

The other book was more “intellectual” rather than story telling. It describes the differences between demonic possession, infestation, etc. Also a good read, but a little more challenging language. I actually recommend both, if it’s something your’e interested in.

I have not read The Rite, I have read Father Amorth’s book. I highly recommend it.

See my reply to HopeInChrist for more recommendations:

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=5903770&postcount=9

I suggest studying the Angels before studying about exorcisms and demons. I would make one exception. I think everyone should read the first two chapters of Father Amorth’s book: The Centrality of Christ and The Power of Satan.

An Exorcist tells His Story was fascinating to me. There is a 2nd book An Exorcist: More Stories that I also intend to read. I hadn’t read the Rite, but after reading some excerpts from kristie_m’s link above, I ordered it. Someday I also plan to read the book Interview with an Exorcist, by Father Fortea. I ordered that last one after listening to a fascinating lecture series on exorcism by Father Fortea. :o

For others interested in this subject, I compiled a while back a “mother lode” list of exorcism resources:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.