Has this ever occured in Francis's fraternity.?

Was there ever a time that Francis had to remind his brothers to settle contention or disputes among themselves rather than by appealing to a higher authority(ie:Himself)?. I'm not talking about the individual requesting that Francis act has judiciary, but simply wished to skirt around confronting the other brother.

I would be surprised if this never happened has it is common in long standing social groups. I can find no reference in "Flowers" in regards to such an event.

Thanks for the help.

The Little Flowers is the least historically accurate of the chronicles of Francis life.
The documents by Thomas Celano (Celano I and Celano II) have more historical accuracy.
The actual writings of Francis contain the most factual evidence.

As in all communities of people there were disputes and factions. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the exact scenario you mention. I’ll take a look.

A good book on the subject is Early Franciscan Government: Ellias to Bonaventure By Rosalind B. Brooke. It’s now available on google as a google book.

[quote="djames99, post:1, topic:270024"]
Was there ever a time that Francis had to remind his brothers to settle contention or disputes among themselves rather than by appealing to a higher authority(ie:Himself)?.

[/quote]

I am not sure you will find exactly what you are looking for. This almost sounds like trying to use St. Francis to settle your own dispute.

St. Francis mainly talked about obedience to your superior and humility. The closest to probably what you are looking for are the 28 admonitions. The are seen by many to be closer to the true ideals of St. Francis then the "Little Flowers" are.

The following admonition is closer to St. Francis' ideals then the item you seem to be looking for:

1. Of True Correction.

Blessed is the servant who bears discipline, accusation, and blame from others as patiently as if they came from himself. Blessed is the servant who, when reproved, mildly submits, modestly obeys, humbly confesses, and willingly satisfies. Blessed is the servant who is not prompt to excuse himself and who humbly bears shame and reproof for sin when he is without fault.

The following link provides all 28 admonitions.
Link

This almost sounds like trying to use St. Francis to settle your own dispute."

no, general interest. Thanks for the response.

Sirach and NT instructs me to test individuals as well has institutions. These instructions predate the existence of the Order. In fact if what I am told is true concerning Francis’s stringent adherence to scripture, then Francis would be pleased I do. Closer to your statement, the answer would certainly assist me to recognize dissimilarities in my own fraternity if they do exist as well has help others here. I believe the Rule itself makes mention of living the gospel “through Francis”. Therefore if I can discover how Francis handles situations then all facts and contexts remaining equal, parallels should be similar or at least almost so, giving lee way for imperfection always of course. Humility extends to the institution in common as well. The degree of impeccability expected from all members(students) should I feel have a superior example(teacher) to strive for. (I think there’s a saying somewhere about physicians and healing self.)

Thanks for the link. :slight_smile:

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.