Hatfields and McCoys series, the History Channel

So did anyone catch the first part of this mini-series on the History Channel? I really enjoyed the portrayal of that historical period and I thought the acting overall was very good. Of course it is a dark story with few uplifting moments, so it’s best taken in smaller doses.

I thought the overall portrayal of the time period is probably it’s strongest aspect. Thoughts anyone?

We thoroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to the next two parts.

I will definitely be tuning as well again tonight for part 2.

I thought the opening civil war battle scene was one of the most believable civil war portrayals I’ve ever seen on film or television before.

I caught the first part last night and am looking forward to the next installment.

Having read the known history of the feud, it appears that they are staying as true as possible to the story. The script presents neither side as being all right or all wrong, and often seems to be pointing out that they are BOTH wrong.

A clear indication of what “eye for an eye” can result in…

Sometimes both right and both wrong, neither family was the victim nor the criminal.

I didn’t recognize Tom Berenger though as Uncle Vance into I read about the series online.

I think my dad was watching this last night. He’s not a big TV guy, so it must have been fairly interesting.

Completely unbelievable! Those darn McCoys started everything! :smiley:

J.S. Hatfield

Oh yes, Tom Berenger is great! I’ve definitely enjoyed his performance so far. Definitely not a fan of Uncle Vance, but I am very impressed with Berenger’s portrayal.

Yes I agree, it seems both families are in both the right and wrong on many different occassions. Although for some reason I am leaning more twoards the Hatfields as I watch the series, especially after watching most of part 2 last night. Maybe it’s just my tendency to want to have good guys and bad guys. I’m not sure.

Anyone feeling more sympathy for the McCoys? I sort of thought that the series was getting slightly biased twoards the Hatfields and that was why I was starting to root for them, but then I thought about several things that happened and I’m not so sure now.

It’s definitely an interesting story to discuss when it comes to morality and circumstances, and “what would you do?” situations.

I am very much enjoying the series and it seems like a very fair and (mostly) accurate portrayal so far. It’s very good at showing how both sides were in the right and wrong at various times. Certainly every major character is flawed in some way.

I do have somewhat more sympathy for Randall McCoy and his wife, not necessarily their sons though. Regardless of what side they fought on in the Civil War, Randall took his oath to the Confederate army very seriously, he wasn’t immediately welcomed with open arms by his wife after the war, he didn’t come back to a lucrative lumber business, the family is not as financially set as the Hatfields, and it sure looks like he suffered quite a bit from PTSD from his war experience. I do have more sympathy for him for that, and though I can understand Devil Hatfield hating war but I can not have much sympathy for him just deserting his unit like he did. I do like him from other points of view, like the way he takes care of his nephew and the love he felt for his brother, etc. They both have their good qualities and their bad, that’s for sure. I’m not a fan of Devil’s wife though.

I wasn’t expecting this to be so popular.

thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/05/history-channel-makes-history-hatfield-mccoys

In the movie, I have a little more sympathy for DA Hatfield and family, but I think that is just the way the movie is written.

I agree, especially after seeing the finale last night…SPOILER ALERT

I did feel sorry for Randolph McCoy at the end, a bitter old man who’s family was destroyed. I almost couldn’t blame him for being the disturbed alcoholic that they portrayed him as. How factual the ending of him burning his house down and staying inside is I’m not sure. Google searches haven’t pulled much for me on how Randolph actually died. I thought Bill Paxton did an excellent job in his portrayal.

I enjoyed the baptism scene at the end with Anse and his family…I knew that Anse wouldn’t kill his own son in the fishing scene, it would have totally destroyed any sympathy anyone had for the Hatfields if he had done that.

I definitely did develop more sympathy for the McCoys near the end of the series. The scene where Randolph’s house was burned and his son and daughter were killed and his wife hit in the back of the head was heart breaking. Call me heartless but I didn’t feel all that bad for Cottontop, I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he shot and killed the people that he did. Execution probably wasn’t the appropriate punishment, but I agree with Anse that his hanging probably helped end the feud.

I’m glad that Bad Frank got what was coming to him, he definitely lived up to his name.

I was surprised that I actually felt sorry for Uncle Vance at the end, even as evil as he was. Tom Beringer did a great job with this character.

I’m not sure exactly how Randolph McCoy died…just that he died from complications of a severe burn. I can tell you that Randolph and Sarah McCoy’s Pikeville house still stands. I drive by it every day…it’s currently an Italian restaurant.

I’ve watched the series, and while some small facts are inaccurate and some parts were romanticized a bit, most of the locals seem to agree that it was pretty well done. I do think that the movie was written with a Hatfield slant to it. There isn’t much true documentation of court cases or whatever from the time, so a lot of the history depends on which side you’re interviewing.

I was interested in the updates run at the end but couldn’t read them fast enough. What happened to Johnson the son of Hatfield who apparently went West after his first wife died? Anse was baptized in 1904 or so. When did he and his wife die?

Johnse eventually came back home and married 4 more times, I think. Devil Anse died in 1921, and Levisey died in 1929.

I think it said that Johnse Hatfield was sentenced to life in prison, but while serving his sentence he saved the warden’s life during a knife attack and recieved a pardon. He went out west and apparently got married quite a few times before he died lol.

per wikipedia on Anse Hatfield:

Hatfield died January 6, 1921 at the age of 81 of pneumonia at his Island creek home. He is buried in the Hatfield Family Cemetery along West Virginia Route 44 in southern Logan County. His grave is topped by a life-size statue of himself made of Italian marble.

This series bothered me. Don’t get me wrong, I find the story fascinating, but it’s the disgusting way hollywood, and now evidently basic cable, tells stories that disgusts the living daylights out of me.

I took a class my freshman year in college called “Conflict and Cooperation,” in which we spent about a third of the semester analyzing the bajeebers out of this story. History Channel actually got a lot right.

But what bugs me is how friggon obsessed everyone is with injecting as much sex and romance possible into stories. I thought that was just an HBO thing, but it appears History Channel wanted to make this series the basic cable version of Game of Thrones. Can’t the viewers just assume that married couples had sex? Was it REALLY necessary to shove it in the viewers face (as much as you can on basic cable) whenever they did? Lord have mercy on us all. And don’t even get me started on the out of marriage sex that they decided to film for good measure.

The perverted embellishing of Johnse’s relationships was entirely unnecessary. Read any book on the Hatfield’s and McCoy’s, and you will find a solid portion, at least an entire chapter, devoted to the political implications of Devil Anse’s timbering business, and a couple pages at best devoted to Johnse’s love affairs. But Americans are too bloody stupid to enjoy television without some sort of romanticism in the plot, so OF COURSE history channel played it up as much as possible. Goodness, it seems half of this series revolved around his relationships. Ugh. Of course his marriage had consequences, I’m not denying that, but History played up his affairs beyond belief, and there’s absolutely no excuse for focusing on raw affection and intimacy between him and his lovers. You will never read any details about that in any well respected piece of literature.

I’m kind of disappointed that nobody else is bothered by this stuff on TV anymore. Desensitized?

My grandma, from Paint Creek, WV just down the road, used to call me “Devil Ants”. Now I know she was saying “Anse”. lol. I loved watching it.

i love stories from appalachian country or from the mountains of kentucky and west virginia anyway. not sure if it is appalachian country where the hatfields and mccoys lived.
i was excited when i saw the history channel was making a miniseries of this long feud.
it had a good cast. i had no idea it was tom berenger playing uncle vance. i tried watching all 3 nights, but i don’t think i caught the entire 2 hours of each night. in fact, at first i thought kevin costner was a hatfield. there were many distractions while i was trying to watch. it seemed they did a good job telling the story of these two families pretty faithfully. it was a dark story. not a lot of warm and fuzzy moments. right now, the name escapes me of the actor who played hatfield. it was nice to see powers boothe in a roll again. i think he is a good actor. i remember him playing the role of jim jones once and he did a fabulous job. anyhow, i think it was a job well done by the history channel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.