Haunted by past sin

I am a returnee. I was away from the Church for about fifteen years and of course, in that time I racked up quite a few sins. I have been back home now for about two-three years and receive reconciliation about once a month to six weeks. My question is that in the time I was away from the Church I had a vasectomy. I have sought reconciliation for this sin and have recieved absolution, but I am still troubled by the fact that I am blocking God out of our marriage. Do I need to get it reversed to be truly forgiven? Am I sinning further each time my wife and I make love? How do we come to realize God’s grace and mercy through sin’s everlasting affect? Thank you and God bless.

Dear Thomas,

Reversing a vasectomy, besides being a painful experience, often is not successful and can cause some permanent, unpleasant side-effects. All that the Church requires of one who has had a vasectomy, is repentance and the Sacrament of Penance. If you have repented and gone to Confession, you are forgiven—regardless of how you feel about it. There are no restrictions regarding sexual intercourse.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.