'Haunted houses'?

No, not real ones. I'm talking about the haunted houses that pop up around Halloween as attractions. Are these okay to go to? Are they like 'palm readers'- to be avoided? What's the call here? My girlfriend wants to take me but I'm a little hesitant. Advise, please.

Thank you,
Coolduude

Anything that is in fun is fine... Your typical made up haunted house no biggie. Although I StILL can't stand those things. But I can tell you my Catholic School, the 8th grade always hosted a haunted house and halloween festival.

Anything that is Satanic (obviously), or attempting to communicate with the dead (seance, ouji board, stuff like that) Not good. And well, these people tend to partake on the 31st as well.

There are some that feel halloween is all too pagan. If you subscribe to that.... then skip it all together. I think we find what we're looking for. So, if you're just into the fun of it... You should be fine.

[quote="coolduude, post:1, topic:216147"]
No, not real ones. I'm talking about the haunted houses that pop up around Halloween as attractions. Are these okay to go to? Are they like 'palm readers'- to be avoided? What's the call here? My girlfriend wants to take me but I'm a little hesitant. Advise, please.

Thank you,
Coolduude

[/quote]

Certainly I would not suggest going to any that have "real possibility of being haunted" or are using occult practices etc..

(we have to avoid the occult for sure as you mentioned)

Palm readers are a source of divination and this is expressly prohibited. Haunted houses are for entertainment. I used to love them, but I have decided that I have grown too old to handle the stress. I almost stroked out when my wife and son jumped out and scared me last time. :bigyikes:

I love 'em…I work in one!

My students find it hard to believe that I do that until I bring in pictures of me all bloodied and gored up…liquid latex is my best friend in October! :thumbsup:

Even if you are just going for a laugh?

Some haunted houses are clean fun. Some, especially the ones with high fees and long lines, might not be good.

A few years ago, I went to a big one in my area where we passed through rooms with “frightening scenes.” One of them was the reproduction of an exorcism, with someone dressed as a priest, faking Latin, and someone pretending to be possessed. Actually, I’m from the Chicago area too - I saw this at Dream Reapers in Melrose Park.

You may not experience that where you go. But I’m just saying stuff like that is out there.

Well, I’m from an area where the homes are OLD… I grew up in a haunted house… With a prankster of a ghost… Nearly scared my DH to death when he stayed there once. Couldn’t get the ghost to leave. But it didn’t go poltergeist the movie on us or anything… And no one got trapped inside the tv. My mother really should call a priest to have it vacated. I think she thinks they’ll call the looney bin instead.

Halloween haunted houses are no different than theme park haunted houses or "dark rides", and they are all perfectly innocent sources of entertainment that no Catholic should have any moral qualms about enjoying. I, myself, derive no pleasure from being startled every 10 seconds, but that's just me. Some people love it. It's one of those things that isn't Catholic or un-Catholic, good or bad: it's completely neutral. Go and have fun.

[quote="Bookcat, post:3, topic:216147"]
Certainly I would not suggest going to any that have "real possibility of being haunted" or are using occult practices etc..

(we have to avoid the occult for sure as you mentioned)

[/quote]

Clarification: Paranormal events do not necessarily imply that anyone has engaged in the occult. I have heard of the priests' house in one parish having stuff like that happening....books with forgotten Mass stipends falling off of the shelf, footsteps on the hardwood floor with no one there, a cold wind on the face with no reasonable natural source, other things like that. The priest would not have dreamed of trying to invoke this kind of thing, and you are right that he would not have dreamed of giving tours of his "real haunted house", but as the odd things always seemed to have a benign source, he never got too worked up about it, either. His order had a long history in the hourse, and by the accounts of his predecessors, the phenomenon pre-dated him, to the point that his first report of such an event was all but greeted with a yawn. They did not publicize these things, as they did not want to be taken for either lunatics or mediums.

He used to do the entrance to his basement up for the trick-or-treaters, with spider webs and fake bats and whatnot. Two totally separate things.

The thing that increases in popularity at this time of year that he and several other priests I have known have warned about in no uncertain terms was to stay away from ouija boards! Hasbro makes these in pink and in glow-in-the-dark, they are touted as harmless fun by which you simply scare yourselves, but don't believe it. At the very least, it is an exercise in either futility or seeing how good you are at lying to and being lied to by your friends. At the worst, it is an invitation to relationship with a far more dangerous pack of liars.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.