Have a furniture dilemma---church pews

That’s great!! Worst case I guess try some polish on Monday and let it dry until Sunday but daily mass might interfere. Perhaps stay with the cleaning liquids haha

1 Like

An old fashion idea is to try this in a small area and see if it works…cut a lemon in half and rub the spots…wait several minutes then wipe with a barely damp cloth. If it works, ta da! If not, well, it smells nice!

2 Likes

You know that might just work!

2 Likes

Hey I might just give that a go. But can you see me rubbing lemons on tons of pews in Church. Now that would be a penance.

2 Likes

Ok got to make y’all laugh. I sat on the kneeler and faced the pew to clean it. ADVICE: do NOT sit on the kneeler and face the pew when you are falling apart like I am. NOT a pretty picture trying to get up in such a tiny space.

2 Likes

Ha! I can certainly picture it. I rarely get on the floor anymore because it’s a big production to get back up…let’s just say having my rear end stuck up in the air for part of it is not something I want anyone to witness!

If the lemons work, get a group of volunteers…like some kids…to help you! When you’re done, serve lemonade! And cookies!

1 Like

Well, unfortunately the damage is done. These finishes don’t last forever and tend to crack with time. Any harsh chemicals or detergent will essentially begin stripping it away.

For general cleaning I only recommend Poly Care:

https://absolutecoatings.com/product/poly-care-hardwood-and-laminate-floor-cleaner/

For disinfecting, I would recommend a quaternary disinfectant mixed in water and using a microfiber towel.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.

1 Like

I HEAR YOU!

2 Likes

@CajunJoy65 … … … please update us with what happened next. Did you try other products? Have the spots gone? What did you use?

1 Like

I finally got the right Murphy’s oil soap and some lemons but I haven’t used them yet. Got a busy week so I will see when I can go and try them out.

I know the two don’t quite go together, but it came up that way on my phone, and was too hilarious not to share.

3 Likes

UPDATE: 6-1-2020

I just went to clean the pews and Nope lemon juice did nothing

Murphy’s oil soap got dirt off of the pew (water was turning brown) but the spots were still there. Hubby says the spray seems to have just stripped the varnish where it landed. It can be cleaned with the CLR but it’s going to take a lot of elbow grease and then wiped clean to not irritate people’s skin or get on their clothes. I’ll talk to Father after Mass tomorrow and let him know I tried the best I could to get it cleaned off.

1 Like

:joy: :upside_down_face: :joy:

Reading it like that, it is funny …

1 Like

I guess that was funny the way it came up.

What happened next is I almost had to call a towing service to get me up off of that kneeler. I have a replaced shoulder, a bad knee, bad back, both wrists have had surgery so it wasn’t pretty! But by the Grace of God I did get up. LOL!

1 Like

You know the saying “live and learn” well this was “Sit and learn”

2 Likes

I’ve done the same thing too, just the once though as it was a good lesson - the embarrassment reinforcing the fact I can’t do that anymore.

1 Like

Oh gosh, I was hoping the lemon would do it. The problem is either the varnish was stripped or the moisture got under the varnish.

Probably the best solution is to just wait until all the sanitizing is done for good then get the pews refinished…but that will not be cheap…but, it can be saved up for? Special collections?

If the Murphy will eventually remove it with massive amounts of elbow grease, I’d wait on doing that, too…until post Covid times…then, all the damage can be tackled. I’d hate to see you put in all that work yet it keeps happening. Those old wooden pews are lovely!

1 Like

Well the CRL spray worked but it was from a bottle of foaming spray and it would take a LOT of bottles of that stuff with good ventilation to get it done. Maybe after the CRL took off the spots we could come back with the Murphy’s oil soap just to give it “some shine” back.

Also will keep in mind what Cruciferi suggested.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.