Have any modern or near-modern Catholics performed miracles?

Hey everyone. Have any modern or near-modern Catholics performed miracles? What were these miracles? Can you please tell me about some? Thanks! I ask this because in the Bible it says this:

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of working, but it is the same God who inspires them all in every one. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are inspired by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
(1Co 12:4-11 RSV)

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves. "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.
(Joh 14:10-14 RSV)

Check out Padre Pio (St. Pio). There are stories of bilocation, reading of hearts, and healings. Also seeing poor souls from purgatory.

Father Solanus Casey … who is up for canonization … hopefully very soon.

There are at least two Web sites for him.

Perhaps you could refresh me and look him up for all of us.

It has been a while since I looked him up.

St. Padre Pio performed all sorts of things. He died in 1968, so he is “modern” regardless of what any doubter would have you believe.

When I went through an atheistic period, to a certain extent, his miracles made me come back to Catholicism. There is no way you could explain the things he did:

1. St. Pio is recorded to have been able to bilocate (appear at two different places at the same time)
  2. St. Pio is recorded to have been able to read people’s hearts at the confessional. He could tell when a person had last been to confession, and could also tell when someone was genuine or not. This was incredibly useful for St. Pio, because if memory serves me correct, Satan dressed up as a woman and tried to fool him. I think he knew that it was Satan from the inevitable blaspheming that he was throwing against God.
  3. St. Pio had the stigmata; not many saints have had this physical scar (St. Francis of Assisi comes to mind, and one other)
  4. St. Pio was able to levitate at times
  5. St. Pio used to prophesy. One story was that he prophesied Karol Waojtyla reaching the highest heights of the Church. Years later, he became known as Pope John Paul II.
  6. St. Pio often saw Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary. He had this ability at birth, so much so that he thought everyone could do it. Eventually he found out however, that not everyone possessed this ability.
  7. He got visits from the souls in Purgatory
  8. His hands had a “sweet odour” associated with them. This is known as the “odour of sanctity”.
  9. He cured a blind woman who had no pupils; she can now see, even though she has no pupils!
  10. And many more…

Believe me, there are some freaky stuff that St. Pio could do. People are free to believe or disbelieve. Personally, I believe.

That said, whilst the miracles St. Pio performed were “cool”, he did not have an easy life, and my speculation was that God gave him a difficult life to recompense for the things he was blessed with. St. Pio had very bad health, came from a poor family, and was beaten (yes, physically beaten) by Satan on several occasions. He lived an awful life, and his biography in certain respects is quite frightening.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

The apparition at Lourdes…to this day, there are recorded and verified cures from its waters…

There are also the incorrupted bodies of some saints…undecayed to this day.

Zlatko Sudac in Croatia. Priest he gives faith to persons,and who become faithfull can from ill man
become health man.
He has stigmes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.