Have any of you ever met the Pope?

If I believed that the Pope was the Vicar of Christ. I don’t think I would be able to sleep until I met him personally.

I don’t think I will personally meet the Pope in my life, I do believe that I will see him in person one day. (I really want to go to the Vatican)

The great part of the Catholic church is that whatever the Pope says goes through the bishops and then through the priests to the lay people.

I hope to go to the Vatican someday. But seeing as I am neither rich nor Italian, I am going to have to wait a while.

I have not shaken the hand of a pope nor had a conversation; however, I was priviledged enough to attend Christmas Mass with Pope John Paul II was celebrating at St. Peter’s in 1984. It was beautiful and something that I will always treasure.

Meaning no disrespect… what do you believe the definition of Vicar of Christ to mean? The Holy Father (the Pope) is the representitive of Christ that guides the Church on Earth. Do not Evangelicals have pastors, ministers, deacons, and even those who are in the pews who speak on behalf of Jesus Christ?

I would love to meet the pope someday. I also wish Catholics who do believe (or who at least say they do) that the Pope is the vicar of Christ revered him as you say you would if you believed he is who he claims to be.

The Catholic Church teaches that the Pope is the Vicar of Christ. Priests act in the person of Christ at the altar and in the confessional. “I absolve you from your sins in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”. He says he is acting in God’s name- it’s a lot like a wealthy person giving someone a credit card and letting them buy things on it, or a law enforcement officer giving someone their badge and letting them act with their authority. Nowadays, we think of credit cards and badges as symbols of authority. In Jesus’ time, however, they thought of keys. We believe the Pope is the vicar (a vicar is someone who is caretaker while the master is away) of Christ because Jesus said to Peter “I will give to you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven”.

I have not met the pope, but I did briefly meet Mother Teresa when I was 7 when she came to my church! :thumbsup:

Really? You don’t identify your nationality, but have you ever personally met the president of your nation? Have you ever met the governor of your state? Have you ever met the mayor of your city?

I have done none of these things (I did catch a glimpse of Gerald Ford many years ago during a parade, while I was propped on my stepfather’s shoulders).

I have never met my congressman, or my senator, or any of my state representatives. I have never met my county sheriff.

I have never even made the effort (even though I am sure I could actually meet most of these people if I really wanted to). I guess I am not hung up on a photo-op with a famous person.

But, let’s suppose that Jesus returned to earth. Would you also be sleepless until you had met with him face-to-face?

I would not have any such desire. After all, what else could motivate me to have a face-to-face meeting with the Lord of Hosts? Could I advise him on how he ought to be handling things? Are there things that Jesus is doing that I could correct him on? Or is it just to stroke my ego and impress my friends (“dood - you had a meeting with JESUS??? That’s awesome rad.”)

Actually, as a Catholic, I commune with Jesus in a far more intimate manner than if I had a conference with him to tell him how I think he ought to be running things. This communion is called, ummm, Communion (or usually Eucharist). This is a type of “meeting” where I don’t advise My Lord on how I think he should do things, but I actually consume My Lord, and (hopefully) submit myself entirely to his divine will.

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. “Vicar” means delegate, so wanting to meet the Pope on earth is not far removed from wanting to meet the One that he represents. Why would I want to meet with the Vicar of Christ? Do I have any instructions for him? Or is it simply to stroke my ego? (Dood, you met the POPE! That’s awesome rad!)

As a Catholic, I directly (and often) commune with Jesus on a VERY intimate level. I do not directly commune with the Pope at all. And, yet, I would very much prefer it this way than the other way around.

This was the exact idea I was basing it off of.
Not only would I need to meet Him face-to-face, I would follow Him around for the rest of my life!

I had the opportunity to meet His Holiness John Paul II when I was a teen-ager. A priest who was a friend of the family just happened to have grown up together in the same town in Italy as the Vatican’s Secretary of Labor, who was a Cardinal, and he arranged for him to give us a tour.

After Mass at St. Peter’s Basillica, we went up to the first row, and the Pope came by to greet those that were there. The conversation couldn’t have lasted more than a minute or so. but I was impressed at his command of English, and even more impressed that he was familiar with Pittsburgh, and spoke highly of our then-Bishop, Donald Weurl (who is presently in Rome becoming a Cardinal, but I digress). I later learned that he had visited Pittsburgh before he was Pope when I saw a commemorative plaque at one of the Polish churches downtown.

Awestruck, though I was, I had the presence of mind to kiss his ring, and as he gave me a Papal Blessing, I was profoundly moved by the realization that I was being blessed by somebody who had been blessed by somebody [etc.] who had been ordained by Jesus Christ himself.

Isn’t that the same as the blessing we get from our own priest? He has been blessed by somebody who had been blessed by somebody [etc.] who had been ordained by Jesus Christ himself. :slight_smile:

I already do follow Jesus around, its called the Eucharist.

Meeting or not meeting the Pope doesn’t mean I don’t believe in all that he stands for here on earth. I would love to meet the Pope someday, either Pope Benedict or the next one the Holy Spirit wants in that chair. But its not feasible to follow the Pope around the rest of my life. I have other work I need to do that God has given me, most importantly the vocation of a wife and mother. Meeting the Pope would be a very special privilege, but not my life’s work or mission.

What is this face-to-face obsession? You sound like Phillip:

Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” (John 14:8)

But Jesus answered:

Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.

Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves.

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you, and will be in you.

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you.

Whoever has my commandments and observes them is the one who loves me. And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,** and I will love him and reveal myself to him.**"

Judas, not the Iscariot, said to him, “Master, (then) what happened that you will reveal yourself to us and not to the world?” Jesus answered and said to him, "Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me.

"I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name–he will teach you everything and remind you of all that (I) told you.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I.

And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over me, but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me.

Sounds like Jesus has a better plan for us than meeting him face to face.

Uh, yes. I suppose so. Do I get points for being 2 or 3 degrees closer? Maybe not.

Anyway, I seem to have inadvertantly posted in yet another argument thread, rather than a “let’s share Pope-meeting stories” thread, so if you’ll excuse me…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.