Have I committed a mortal sin of lust?

Hi everyone,

This afternoon, I was on my way home from confession and stopped at a petrol station to grab a bite to eat on the way home. I was in the queue at the counter where I took a glance at the news stand. There was a paper there with the tagline "Hello Boys" or something along those lines. There was a picture of a woman right next to it. I looked at her for two seconds (I'm not sure what she was wearing because I was a long distance from the paper). I then read the by line, which read like " Miss World makes a break on US Playboy". The very second I read it, I looked away as I knew it was no good and got back to what I was doing. What I am asking is did I sin by reading the by-line? I am anxious about this as I was hoping to receive tomorrow. Thanks :)

No. you’re ok. Nothing there.

But in the future, do you think you should even let your eyes gaze or wonder about such trash?

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

You are right. I will be more careful in the future.

Please don't be so scrupulous.

It is one thing to look at a women (or man for that fact) and acknowledge her (his) beauty for the mere sake of her (his) beauty. This would be no different that admiring the Venus de milo or one of the other great works of art by the old masters. By far the greatest of the "Old Masters" is God the Father.

It is quite something else to look a woman (man) with the desire to have physical congress outside of the bounds of Marrage (and some would say this works within marrage however, I leave this to the theologians but you can start at CCC2360). I point you to the CCC:

From the Vatican Website:

PART THREE : SECTION TWO : CHAPTER TWO: ARTICLE 6 :THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT : 2351 --- (Click Here) Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes.

I highly doubt that little glance and acknowledgement of her beauty was enough to meet the deffinition of 2351 - unless, ofcourse, in the second you wanted to commit the act as described in 2351 - then find the nearest priest and confess!

[quote="fred_conty, post:2, topic:333525"]
No. you're ok. Nothing there.

[/quote]

Agreed...No problem.

But in the future, do you think you should even let your eyes gaze or wonder about such trash?

To be fair - when we are looking around - being aware of our surroundings - our gaze will fall upon many things good and bad - uplifting or tempting. It is amazing how much data our brains are able to gather in before our "mind" kicks in to help us evaluate what we are seeing.

This seems to be what happened to the OP...Casually looking around...gathering in data...recognizing something as inappropriate and immediately looking away. Excellent job. :thumbsup:

The only bad thing about how our brains work - gathering in all that data is that now we are stuck with it and while we might readily forget many things...some things just seem to stick. I know I have that trouble....:blush::shrug:
This is probably what has happened here. The OP got home and realized that he kept recalling this image...and it bothered him so he comes here to ask.

Rest assured my friend...It's no big deal...It's happened to all of us.

Peace
James

James, you expressed it well when there are times that a person is caught off guard and is a victim of their surroundings.

But after having one experience of such, then when coming into those surroundings again, then it is possible to avoid being a victim again, although the mind occassionally forgets.

Once warned better fore-armed. This saves so much pain.

The news racks in the checkout lane is one of these areas.

Just a few thoughts.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

[quote="fred_conty, post:6, topic:333525"]
James, you expressed it well when there are times that a person is caught off guard and is a victim of their surroundings.

But after having one experience of such, then when coming into those surroundings again, then it is possible to avoid being a victim again, although the mind occassionally forgets.

Once warned better fore-armed. This saves so much pain.

The news racks in the checkout lane is one of these areas.

Just a few thoughts.

May God bless and keep you. May God's face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

[/quote]

Amen - Good thoughts Fred...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.