Have i greatly sinned?

Today, while spraying the weeds on my front wall i deliberately sprayed a neighbors rose that was secured to my gate pillar which has been a pain. I didnt mention to them about how the rose is a mess and very spiky etc and is on my gate pillar so i decided to nuke it today!! :(

I know they would ignore me if i complained about it so that is why i acted as above.

Have i greatly sinned? This should be mentioned at confession? Can i still receive Holy communion?

It's a plant. Killing a plant is hardly grave matter.

In any case, weed killer is usually only harmful to particular types of plant (i.e. the weeds), so the rose (which is a hardy beast) will probably survive.

However, if a neighbour's tree or plant is physically impeding or encroaching into your own space, you are more than within your own rights to prune it so that it no longer forms a nuisance to you.

It might be polite to tell them you're going to do it though, in case the plant needs special treatment and to give them the chance to carry out the work themselves, but if they don't or won't, it wouldn't be a sin to sort it out yourself.

And, noting you're in the UK as I am, I think the law states you should give the cuttings back to their owner.

I know they would not do anything but moan.

The rose, was attached to my gate pillar and has been there years (We have only been in the house 2 years). I know what they are like so have not said anything.

I do now feel guilty for spraying it!!!!!

I will confess it but wanted to know what others thought.

It may be just a plant but its the action that is wrong i think.

[quote="ajecphotos, post:3, topic:324817"]
I know they would not do anything but moan.

The rose, was attached to my gate pillar and has been there years (We have only been in the house 2 years). I know what they are like so have not said anything.

I do now feel guilty for spraying it!!!!!

I will confess it but wanted to know what others thought.

It may be just a plant but its the action that is wrong i think.

[/quote]

It may have been wrong, but I don't see how one rose constitutes a grave matter of property destruction.

Do mention this at your next confession, but I cannot see how this is a mortal sin.

I don't think there's a sin of killing plants!

Honestly, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Remember, in British law, you are entitled to do what you like to other people's plants that are encroaching into your own property (i.e. crossing your boundaries).

If you prune the plant or cut off a tree's branches you have to give the other person the cuttings.

If your neighbour won't manage their plants properly, then you are in the right.

I think you're being scrupulous about it. By all means mention it to the priest, but remember the abiding rule is that it's not a sin (for you) if you don't know it's a sin! If you have to ask, you didn't sin!

[quote="ajecphotos, post:1, topic:324817"]
Today, while spraying the weeds on my front wall i deliberately sprayed a neighbors rose that was secured to my gate pillar which has been a pain. I didnt mention to them about how the rose is a mess and very spiky etc and is on my gate pillar so i decided to nuke it today!! :(

I know they would ignore me if i complained about it so that is why i acted as above.

Have i greatly sinned? This should be mentioned at confession? Can i still receive Holy communion?

[/quote]

Is it wrong to be petty and vindictive?--

ck the sin list!! LOL

I certainly wouldn't consider it mortal sin, but you did harm someone else's property. If I were in your place, I would confess it.

I will confess it

[quote="ajecphotos, post:8, topic:324817"]
i will confess it

[/quote]

plant killer! Herbicidal maniac!

:)

[quote="Polycarp1, post:9, topic:324817"]
plant killer! Herbicidal maniac!

:)

[/quote]

:D

And destroyer of the great Mother Earth! To the eco-education camp with you! ;)

(On a more serious note, this certainly isn't grave matter.) :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.