Have I voided my infant baptism?

I was baptized as an infant, received my first communion but never confirmed and married in the Catholic Church. Over a year ago my wife and I joined an inter-denominational church and I got re-baptized. I don’t know why I got re-baptized I never felt comfortable going thru it. I think I did it for my friends satisfaction. It has really gotten under my skin that they didn’t recognize my infant baptism and I started finding teachings that I didn’t believe in, one being baptism is just symbolic. I have been on a mission reading, studying and truly understanding more than I ever have about Catholicism. I now understand my beliefs and what it’s all about to be a Catholic and I want desperately to return with the true church that Jesus founded. I’m perplexed as to where I stand? I didn’t realize there could be implications with a second baptism, I should have known better. The Holy Spirit has led me back to the truth and for that I appreciate what I have been through here lately. I also hurt for my friends at this church for being mislead on things that are taught and I want some how to convert the whole church. Have I done anything to void my infant baptism in the Catholic Church and what must I do to return?

Dear Son,

One cannot void a valid baptism. Nor can one be baptized twice. Your second baptism was merely a formality because you were already baptized.

All you need to do to be back in the Catholic Church is first to get your marriage blessed by the Church. Then you need to make a good Confession. You are then free to receive Holy Communion. Eventually, you will need to get some instruction in preparation for the sacrament of Confirmation. Welcome back!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.