have the gates of hell prevailed?

has hell prevailed against the church by it splitting into so many warring factions?

will unity ever be possible with the hell bound protestants and orthodox?

the only way for the church to be defeated is for every single person who is christian to be killed or converted.

Remember Jesus said “Whoever is not against us is for us” meaning the protestants are not our enemies.

Not with that attitude.

Please remember that Protestants and Orthodox are our separated brethren. To call them all hell-bound is to deny the mercy of God.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The “gates of Hades” is a reference to death, which is why in Revelation Hades gets thrown into the firey pit (i.e., death is no more in the new creation and only those who have rejected God are truly dead). So the only way for Hades to prevail over the Church is if the Church stopped existed. Jesus’ words have a threefold meaning:

• He means the Church will never be defeated
  • He means the Eucharist will last until the end of the ages
  • He means the Papacy will last until the end of the ages

This is made clear by Jesus saying He will be with us always, even to the end of the ages, and by the Church being Jesus’ Body nourished on the Eucharist (the Body and Blood of Christ). This is further made clear by Jesus telling Peter to feed and tend His sheep - giving him the role of a shepherd - and by Peter asking Jesus why John is following him, i.e., why would John come along if he wasn’t going to be made Pope (to which Jesus implied John would be the last Apostle to die, because He wanted him to write the Book of Revelation).

The Church, the Eucharist, and the Papacy were promised to last forever; the Messiah would make a new Israel, the thansgiving offering would forever be offered, and the vicar of God for Israel would be a priest and a shepherd in the messainic age.

More here on the Papacy: jimmyakin.org/2009/09/the-petrine-fact-part-6.html

I believe the gates of hell will never truly prevail in our lifetime or at the end of the world. The reason for this belief comes from one concept: the Mystical Body of Christ.
“Where 2 or more are gathered in my name, I will be there,” is Christ’s promise to us. That means EVEN IF EVERY BUILDING, CHURCH, EDIFICE OR STRUCTURE IN THE WORLD WERE DESTROYED BY THE LEGIONS OF SATAN The Mystical Body of Christ will still exist as long as men exist and are free in their SOULS, to worship through the Mass and the Eucharist. In the end, that’s all that counts.

=Zea mays;5753519]has hell prevailed against the church by it splitting into so many warring factions?

The gates of hell will never prevail against you… don’t you read the scriptures?

will unity ever be possible with the **hell bound **

protestants and orthodox?

:eek: What was that!?
**Hell bound!? **
Are you telling me that I’m going to hell!?

Amen! :smiley:

yea mays…

The gates of hell
In the ancient world the gates of a city was where the city was defended
So as I understand it when Jesus said "the gates of hell shall not prevail "
What he was saying was that the Church would be on the offensive against the strongholds of hell and that hell would be overcome by the Church :thumbsup:

w

Last time I checked the Catholic Church was still intact, albeit it with some bruises and battle scars, but intact none the less. Hence, the gates have not prevailed.

For the gates of hell to prevail, Jesus would have to be a liar…since he told us they would never prevail. I will never call Jesus a liar.

p.s. It is not for us to call anyone hell-bound…I would hate to face God someday after condeming his own creations.

:smiley:

Ah, but what did he mean by hell?
Was he referring to the onslaught of the protestants or was he referring to muslims?

hell = wherever there is sin, oppression, hatred
Wherever Satan is ruling
in human hearts
in evil organisations
in political and economic structures that oppress people:knight1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.