Have US Scientists Heard Echoes of the Big Bang?

LOL!
Something tells me that’s not what it’s gonna sound like!

:wink:

:hug1:
You are right, and I will follow your advice never say never only say never to not good things----Never! :gopray:

:blush:I do not know many things, but I knew I do not know many things.

I knew I do not know many things; I knew that human only know part not the complete

I think that one day when new heavens and new earth comes we will knew the complete. I think that at that time God will give His children super powers and at that time we will be given a new name above human, That until then human will always not strong have death to human end but then we will have eternal life no death any more and fully know everything.
I read,
1Corinthians 13
as for knowledge, it will come to an end.9For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; 10but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love

O dady girl, I know I am weak right now, so weak do not have super powers that I can not say that let the moon in sky come in side my window because ‘Anything is possible’ ? Is it? Last night when I sit here I suddenly feel something then I look up that I saw a very very bright moon through the window. And I thought it looks so bright that I took cell phone to picture, that cell phone camera not work well with something so bright but background so dark, but here some pictures for you and all dear lovely Brothers Sisters in God. See, Must be my camera not so well that some pictures looks like the moon come inside my window curtains.:slight_smile:

Gravitational waves from the Sun and Moon are very low, and so there shouldn’t be any real gravitational wave emission. that it won’t be an oscillation but it will be changing the curvature of space-time as the Earth orbits it over time.

For some people, the possibility that the laws of physics might illuminate even the creation of our own universe, without the need for supernatural intervention or any demonstration of purpose, is truly terrifying. But Monday’s announcement heralds the possible beginning of a new era, where even such cosmic existential questions are becoming accessible to experiment.

Oh my. Mr. Krauss, the theoretical physicist, just couldn’t help but insert a sort of gratuitous insult against people who might have some religiosity left in them. This remark has nothing to do with science, physics, or cosmology.

Religious people need not find physics or science “terrifying.” If the universe began as a big bang, there’s certainly nothing wrong with trying to analyze the event up to as near the zero point as possible. It seems to me perhaps that some cosmologists might have been a little scared of the big bang theory just because it does imply a beginning. But metaphysical questions, such as why is there something rather than nothing, or what’s the purpose of my existence, are not much amenable to experiment.

Why is that? Because to test things they have to repeat the tests and the big bang was a one time event?

Roselily…
:hug1:
It was indeed a full moon last night, and I also took photos as I walked along the street…and a friend of mine in Italy did the same thing!
It was a beautiful, superpower moon.

As my father always used to say, quoting Socrates: “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing!”

But bit by bit, bit by bit…we learn…and there is joy in the learning, yes?

Your photos are beautiful :slight_smile:

I didn’t feel his words were an insult…to say that some people would find the possibility of this discovery frightening.
Unless you consider someone who is frightened a weak and terrible thing?

Also, he’s not specifying religious people in his comment…he’s mentioning whoever might believe in the supernatural. That includes non-religious, too (think: New Age).

But just to say someone might be afraid of this idea shouldn’t be taken as an insult.
If you said that an Atheist might be afraid to believe that God exists…would you necessarily mean that as an insult?
I don’t think so–or at least, I hope not.

We can’t know this for sure.
There may be many things that seem impossible today that will be possible tomorrow.

If someone told us a century ago that we’d be emailing letters across the ocean in one second, walking on the moon, witnessing 10 seconds after The Big Bang, etc, etc…most people except forward, non-limited-thinking scientists would shake their head–“no way”.
Each time we think we’ve reached a limit, we break thru it.
There’s no knowing what our limits are–if any.

For some reason this makes me really uncomfortable. I know this theory doesn’t go against our faith but I fear that they might find other elements of “us being an accident”

scientificamerican.com/article/gravity-waves-cmb-b-mode-polarization/

“Physicists have found a long-predicted twist in light from the big bang that represents the first image of ripples in the universe called gravitational waves, researchers announced today”

I think it is the scientists who will have to answer this question. It’s physics which posits this idea, not me. It is scientists who have said that one cannot “see” beyond the event horizon of a black hole. The reason, I think, has to do with the fact that the escape velocity from a black hole exceeds the speed of light, and thus nothing in the way of information can escape the black hole. The Big Bang was presumably also a singularity. And in any case, once you get past the beginning of the big bang, what came before the beginning? If you were to be able to do so, the matter energy space time that was compressed into the “pre-bang” universe would have essentially no component parts; everything would be indistinguishable. The same sort of thing is posited (by science) about small areas of space smaller than the Planck length.

Well, he says, “For some people, the possibility that the laws of physics might illuminate even the creation of our own universe, without the need for supernatural intervention or any demonstration of purpose, is truly terrifying.”

To me, this makes no sense, and seems an uncalled for assumption on his part. Why should the discovery of gravitational waves from the very early seconds of the big bang be more “terrifying” than the discovery of cosmic background radiation from the big bang? He seems to think that the discovery means that science can ultimately explain “creation,” although I get the sense that he does not mean by “creation” what a theologian means.

For a physicist, “creation” might mean the springing into existence of a particle-antiparticle pair from a uniform substrate, which is not ‘nothing’ from a theological standpoint. Does he even understand what a theist means by supernatural intervention?

Wow…next thing scientists will be telling us they know what created the Big Bang…God…but we Catholics already know that:D

This is exciting. It continues to support the theory first proposed by Fr George Lemaittre commonly called the Big Bang.

This theory shows that our universe BEGAN from nothing. They say this recent discovery shows the universe expanded in 1 trillionth of 1 trillionth of 1 trillionth of a second. Mind boggling numbers!

They are seeing God’s fingerprints. The further down this road, the more it proves There must be someone or something outside of the universe.

It’s an AMAZING Scientific discovery.

(fyi, I started a thread on it a few days ago:
**“Have US Scientists Heard Echoes of the Big Bang?” **
I don’t know how to provide the link!)

Here is the link:

Have US Scientists Heard Echoes of the Big Bang?
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11801281

I agree. It takes a lot more of a leap to believe the universe created itself by chance. Atheism is anti-science and illogical. Faith is beyond reason but not unreasonable.

It proves no such thing. All it proves, if indeed it reveals what is claimed, is that the present form of the universe began at that time. It does not address the condition of physical reality prior to that moment and we cannot conclude that this indicates an absolute beginning to the universe. Fr. La Maitre, himself, warned that that would be an incorrect conclusion.

Linus2nd,.

“That the present form of the universe began at that point”

Yes exactly.

And that point is the limit of “scientific method”. Prior to that there was something that science cannot ever determine. That something is God at some point.

Correct but everyone and their grandmother Knows what Krauss wants to say. It is also Krauss that says the universe was created by Nothing which is an impossibility because a literal nothing is non being. Now when we say that God created the universe from nothing I think we are meaning a material nothing, since God’s thoughts arent nothing.

Krauss is a lousy Philosopher and he should stick to his area of expertise.

Your conclusion is true, but this " discovery " does not strengthen the conclusion. The best arguments are the Five Ways of Thomas Aquinas or one of those offered by Dr. Peter Kreeft and others.

I think this is pretty good proof. youtube.com/watch?v=oGUlWa2r-bk

Linus2nd

Fr Barron has talked about this. Basically that science can only go so far and after that is left to metaphysics.

I just find any evidence of “the Big Bang” as a good thing for one to jump off into metaphysics/cosmology

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.