"...have we no need at all of a mediator with the Mediator Himself? "

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Continuing to ponder St. Louis de Montfort’s “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”:

1. Our Lord is our Advocate and our Mediator of redemption with God the Father. It is through Him that we must pray with the whole Church, triumphant and militant. It is through Him that we have access to God the Father. We should never appear before God, our Father, unless we are supported by the merits of His Son, and, so to speak, clothed in them, as young Jacob was clothed in the skin of the young goats when he appeared before his father Isaac to receive his blessing.

2. But have we no need at all of a mediator with the Mediator himself? Are we pure enough to be united directly to Christ without any help? Is Jesus not God, equal in every way to the Father? Therefore is He not the Holy of Holies, having a right to the same respect as His Father? If in His infinite love He became our security and our Mediator with His Father, whom He wished to appease in order to redeem us from our debts, should we on that account show Him less respect and have less regard for the majesty and holiness of His person?

Let us not be afraid to say with St. Bernard that we need a mediator with the Mediator himself and the divinely-honoured Mary is the one most able to fulfil this office of love. Through her, Jesus came to us; through her we should go to him. If we are afraid of going directly to Jesus, who is God, because of His infinite greatness, or our lowliness, or our sins, let us implore without fear the help and intercession of Mary, our Mother. She is kind, she is tender, and there is nothing harsh or forbidding about her, nothing too sublime or too brilliant. When we see her, we see our own human nature at its purest. She is not the sun, dazzling our weak sight by the brightness of its rays. Rather, she is fair and gentle as the moon, which receives its light from the sun and softens it and adapts it to our limited perception.

She is so full of love that no one who asks for her intercession is rejected, no matter how sinful he may be. The saints say that it has never been known since the world began that anyone had recourse to our Blessed Lady, with trust and perseverance, and was rejected. Her power is so great that her prayers are never refused. She has but to appear in prayer before her Son and he at once welcomes her and grants her requests. He is always lovingly conquered by the prayers of the dear Mother who bore him and nourished him.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful. Bring us into all Truth. Help us to “see by faith” the unique and beautiful union between Jesus and Mary.

May we in the USA, especially, today on the anniversary of 9/11 give thanks to God through Mary, Patroness of our country under her title of The Immaculate Conception, give thanks to God for her intercession for us throughout our history and also her intercession for all God’s children everywhere given to her by Jesus from His Cross.!

3 Likes

Yes. St. Louis is teaching what the Church believes. Pope Saint Pius X wrote in an Encyclical.:

1. It cannot, of course, be denied that the dispensation of these treasures is the particular and peculiar right of Jesus Christ, for they are the exclusive fruit of His Death, who by His nature is the mediator between God and man. Nevertheless, by this companionship in sorrow and suffering already mentioned between the Mother and the Son, it has been allowed to the august Virgin to be the most powerful mediatrix and advocate of the whole world with her Divine Son (Pius IX. Ineffabilis ). The source, then, is Jesus Christ “of whose fullness we have all received” ( John i., 16), “from whom the whole body, being compacted and fitly joined together by what every joint supplieth, according to the operation in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in charity” ( Ephesians iv., 16). But Mary, as St. Bernard justly remarks, is the channel (Serm. de temp on the Nativ. B. V. De Aquaeductu n. 4); or, if you will, the connecting portion the function of which is to join the body to the head and to transmit to the body the influences and volitions of the head - We mean the neck. Yes, says St. Bernardine of Sienna, “she is the neck of Our Head, by which He communicates to His mystical body all spiritual gifts” (Quadrag. de Evangel. aetern. Serm . x., a. 3, c. iii.).
    http://w2.vatican.va/content/pius-x/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-x_enc_02021904_ad-diem-illum-laetissimum.html
1 Like

This is a great post. As a child, my mother took us out of the Church (my younger brother is 4 years younger, and he was baptized, so I had to be somewhere between 5 and 8 years old when we left. Though I have no memories of Mass at that time.). My earliest memories of church was a Protestant church. I learned how “bad” the Church was, and “worshipping” Mary was one of the proofs.

As an adult… about 25 years ago, after much study, I returned to the Church as I came to believe it is everything that it said it was. Oddly, Mary was always a sticking point. In theory, I accepted the Church’s explanation that she is shown respect and is not to be worshiped. But in practice, it looked like worship to me. The term mediatrix of all graces… just didn’t sound right to me. I often wondered if this little voice was God trying to warn me. But because absolutely every other teaching on everything was so rock solid… and protestantism turns out to be so full of holes, If figured that if the Church what it claimed, then Christianity itself was wrong. So I would just tell myself that those who were going beyond respect just didn’t get where the line was drawn and that perhaps I didn’t quite know either. It’s funny, but back then my original prayers to Mary started out very legalistic. I’d pray to Christ first, then before praying to Mary there would be a “preamble” making absolutely clear that I was only going to say a prayer to her because I wanted to show respect to His mother to make Him happy, and fully integrate the Church’s teachings etc. etc. Absolutely just trying to “cover my butt” in case the little voice in my head was right… that I should just leave devotion to Mary be. My “apologies” for saying the prayer were often if not always longer than the actual prayer itself.

Anyhow, I’m rambling now… this article was great because though I still think at times the line between devotion and worship get blurred, it made me think about it logically without baggage. God the Father chose Mary to give us Christ. Through her, He was given to us. When Christ returned to the Father, why couldn’t we reach Him (Christ) through Mary’s prayers. In that sense, the term Mediatrix of all graces, with the focus on Christ and only Christ as the endpoint, not the Father, makes sense.

Thank you for the post.

1 Like

Thanks, again, patricius, for your “heart” as you continue to read and appreciate the words of St. Louis de Montfort. Thanks also for taking the time to reinforce St. Louis de Montfort’s words on Mary by quoting other saints, like St. Bernard, St Bonaventure and papal encyclicals such as this one today from Pope St. Pius X.

It is so important for us, to help others to know Mary as both Mother and Model, for Jesus gave her to us from His Cross. What a precious gift she is, and how ungrateful we would be to ignore her and Jesus by not obeying His Words as the Beloved Disciple did on Calvary hearing Jesus say:

Behold your Mother!

Let us, by God’s Grace, do as John did and take Mary into our lives!

2 Likes

Dear tony-nj,

Thanks so much for your “heart” which lets us know you read and appreciated the words of St. Louis de Montfort in his treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”. Thanks also for your reply which may help many others who have suffered from hearing people tell them how “bad” the Catholic Church is and “worshipping Mary” Mary is a proof of it. By God’s Grace, may others read your story and seek the Truth as you did.

I hope you will click on the link to St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” and read this little book, prayerfully and ponder what the Saint wrote slowly. Pope St. John Paul II wrote that his reading of “True Devotion” was a turning point in his young life. He took for his papal motto, words from St. Louis de Montfort: “Totus Tuus” ( Latin for “All Yours”). This little book can help you grow even closer to Jesus and Mary. Mary is truly a special Gift from the Heart of Jesus.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.