Have you ever had any "divine" experiences?

You’ll have to forgive me if I’m not using the proper termanology when I chose the word “divine”. I’ve read a lot of the posts in this forum, and I know there are many more knowledgeable than I. If it is incorrect, please feel free to let me know.

I am cross-posting a story I just added to another post in this forum, because I am not really sure if it belonged there and I would love to hear from others regarding their experiences.

So here it is:

When I was very young … probably four or so my mother and I attended a very small Catholic church called St Mary of the Assumption. It was the first Catholic church in the area and was built in the late 1890’s. Even now I remember the wonderful feeling of peace that small church evoked in me. I can remember looking forward to attending mass there every Sunday. This was basically a one room building with a very small alcove directly to the left of the alter where the priest would get ready for mass.

Anyway … the first row of pews had been created in minature so that children could sit there during mass, (I remember feeling special that I got to sit so close to the priest.) One morning during mass, (and I still remember it vividly to this day) I started to see on the wall above the crucifx what I could only describe as a shadow picture show of Joseph leading Mary on a donkey to a small building. The building was small and shack like in appearance and there were also 2 or three palm trees around it. Everything was in sillouhette, but it played out just like a picture show. I can remeber just being enthralled with it. After mass I told everyone I knew about it, thinking everyone else had seen it too. No one had. I can remember people, (including my mother) trying to convince me that it was probably just shadows playing on the wall, but I watched like a hawk every mass after that until our parish built a new larger church and never saw the same thing again. To this day, (and I am now 29) I still believe that what I saw was real! How could I, a four year old possible know they had palm trees in the middle east, (and trust me there are no palm trees anywhere near that old church.)

To this day, even though the building no longer belongs to our parish, I drive by or walk by it whenever I need a little boost in faith. I dearly wish they still offered masses there, once the new building was completed, the mass experience was never quite the same for me.

I have. Several months ago, during Mass after I had received the Blood of Christ, it literally turned to blood in my mouth! Ever since, I can’t take the Blood without my eyes welling up with tears of joy.

I’ve had a couple…

last year I heard God speaking Aramaic to me! It was supernaturally internally (no, I’m not psychic! I made sure!)

Back in January this year, I was trying to fall asleep when I heard another supernatural voice internally saying, “Welcome to Israel!”

I was VERY cautious to make sure I wasn’t crazy or anything and I know that it was Supernatural!

:bigyikes: REALLY???*

[quote=Curious]:bigyikes: REALLY???
[/quote]

Yes. In all seriousness, the moment the wine touched my lips I could taste blood (even before I had returned the chalice to the EMHC). I double-checked the contents of the chalice as I walked away–it still looked like wine. But there was no mistaking the taste in my mouth (I’ve bit my lip a few times, so I know what blood tastes like, LOL). What’s more, the day it happened was the very day I moved out of my parent’s house to live on my own for the first time. I felt very strongly that Christ was promising me that He would be with me.

The timing for your question is very Interesting.

Yesterday I was reflecting on the wonderful things God has done in my life and what a poor response I’ve had to his exceptional blessings.

I’ve actually been blessed by several, experiences that I’ve always viewed as Divine Interventions.

Thank you God!

If not for His actions in my life I’d still be the miserable, arrogant, know it all, agnostic I was before God knocked me in the back of the head.

It seems however I’m stuck on spiritual roller coaster. I reach a peak, only to fall back into a valley. Fortunately God’s seen fit to pull me back up to a peak again when I’ve gotten stuck in that Valley.

Sometimes I forget that these things don’t necessarily happen to everyone. It scares me silly at times. That bit about “to whom much has been given, much will be expected” comes to mind.

I wonder if I’ll be ready when it comes time to pay back the debt I owe.

Chuck

12 1/2 years ago I sat alone in my bedroom thinking I would never get this “not drinking thing” and that I was doomed to a life of despair. Suddenly, I understood what the 12 Step Speaker on the tape was saying - not just heard it, *understood *it. I know that was a gift from Our Blessed Mother and I have treasured that night in my memory every since.

May 4 will be 13 years…if I don’t drink between now and then.

[quote=pietalover]You’ll have to forgive me if I’m not using the proper termanology when I chose the word “divine”. I’ve read a lot of the posts in this forum, and I know there are many more knowledgeable than I. If it is incorrect, please feel free to let me know.

I am cross-posting a story I just added to another post in this forum, because I am not really sure if it belonged there and I would love to hear from others regarding their experiences.

So here it is:

When I was very young … probably four or so my mother and I attended a very small Catholic church called St Mary of the Assumption. It was the first Catholic church in the area and was built in the late 1890’s. Even now I remember the wonderful feeling of peace that small church evoked in me. I can remember looking forward to attending mass there every Sunday. This was basically a one room building with a very small alcove directly to the left of the alter where the priest would get ready for mass.

Anyway … the first row of pews had been created in minature so that children could sit there during mass, (I remember feeling special that I got to sit so close to the priest.) One morning during mass, (and I still remember it vividly to this day) I started to see on the wall above the crucifx what I could only describe as a shadow picture show of Joseph leading Mary on a donkey to a small building. The building was small and shack like in appearance and there were also 2 or three palm trees around it. Everything was in sillouhette, but it played out just like a picture show. I can remeber just being enthralled with it. After mass I told everyone I knew about it, thinking everyone else had seen it too. No one had. I can remember people, (including my mother) trying to convince me that it was probably just shadows playing on the wall, but I watched like a hawk every mass after that until our parish built a new larger church and never saw the same thing again. To this day, (and I am now 29) I still believe that what I saw was real! How could I, a four year old possible know they had palm trees in the middle east, (and trust me there are no palm trees anywhere near that old church.)

To this day, even though the building no longer belongs to our parish, I drive by or walk by it whenever I need a little boost in faith. I dearly wish they still offered masses there, once the new building was completed, the mass experience was never quite the same for me.
[/quote]

Hi pietalover,
I just want to say thanks for starting this thread. Everyone who reads these testimonys will be edified by them and those who have not had an experience will seek one.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=clmowry]The
It seems however I’m stuck on spiritual roller coaster. I reach a peak, only to fall back into a valley. Fortunately God’s seen fit to pull me back up to a peak again when I’ve gotten stuck in that Valley.

I
[/quote]

don’t be in too big a hurry to get out of the valleys, valleys are where the rivers run, where the evidence of God’s handiwork through nature are most evident (think Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls), where progress is easier and the direction clearer, and often a lot less lonely than the mountain peaks. Also, sometimes we confuse our emotional roller coasters with the spiritual, not always the same thing. If you do as you suggest, allow God to direct your journey, the valley (or desert) experiences will be appreciated for the gifts that they are.

[quote=pietalover]You’ll have to forgive me if I’m not using the proper termanology when I chose the word “divine”. I’ve read a lot of the posts in this forum, and I know there are many more knowledgeable than I. If it is incorrect, please feel free to let me know.

So here it is:

[/quote]

I am glad you started this thread, so I can share my story. When I started to come back to my faith at beginning of the year, I attended a five am mass at my parish church. I sat in the middle and showed up early to pray before mass. This was at beginning of Lent around I believe. This is hard to explain but right in front of the altar almost above the first set of pews I saw this thin cloud just floating and turning. I at first thought maybe everyone else saw it and that maybe it was because of the incense bowl in front the altar, but it didnt look like the incense smoke though. I asked my mom later cause she was in that mass, but she said I am sure that you were seeing the insense still in the air. So I blew it off. Well every week after that I would look for that same thing and it never happened again.

When I experienced it I thought it was maybe the Holy Spirit dwelling above the Church. My mom of course thinks I am nuts and told me to get over it, but it is like I just cant forget that experience.

I believe what I saw was put their by God for me to see, so that I could believe that I was back home, and that this was exactly where he wanted me to be.

I know this might sound wierd, but ever since that experience I just really feel so at peace with my faith and cannot wait to go back to church after I leave there.

God Bless,
Kerri

[list]*] About 15-20 years ago I was working three jobs (one full-time job and two part-time jobs – one in the morning for a couple of hours before my full-time job and another one in the evening for a couple of hours after my full-time job) and I usually used Saturdays to catch up on much needed sleep and normally didn’t roll out of bed until about noon.

One early Saturday morning I had a very vivid dream. I dreamnt that I encountered God the Father. I could see the face but I just “knew” who it was and he said three words to me: “Go to confession.” I immediately woke up and even though it was around 6am in the morning, I wasn’t tired. I was wide awake. I instantly got dressed and drove to a church which I knew had confessions just before their 7am Mass.

*]I was in the hospital at death’s doorstep with a 30% chance of not pulling through. Even if I did make it, certain aspects of my life would be forever altered. I was at an all-time low in my life – physically, emotionally, psychologically, etc.; and I had pretty much given up on everything. My days were filled with worry & dispair. My nights were restless and filled with nightmares and I was on pain medication 24x7 which made my thinking process very foggy.

One night, while drifting in and out of sleep, I felt someone cover me with the hospital blanket. This was not something unusually because the evening nurses and nurses aides would do that from time to time when they saw a sleeping patient uncovered. However, this time was different. I looked over and didn’t see anybody leaving the room. Of course, the pain medication which kept me in a fog could have accounted for that and I might not have looked over until a few minutes later but there was something else.

When that blanket was placed over me, I felt a “warmth”. A physical warmth and a mental and spiritual warmth. Suddenly, I no longer felt worried or anxious over what was happening to me. The physical pain, while still there, felt like it wasn’t there. It’s hard to explain because while I still felt the pain, it seemed like the “warmth” that I felt was filtering that pain so like I felt that it wasn’t mine any longer.

I got a good night’s rest with no nightmares or worries and the following morning I woke up with an entirely different attitude ready to take on the challenges that were ahead of me instead of having an “I give up attitude”.[/list]

I think divine intervention from God the Father, Jesus, or the Hly SPirit happens a lot more than we realize - maybe not always in more snesational ways, but it happens - words that come out of your mouth, actions you inadvertantly take, etc.

And I for one am grateful for the help :slight_smile:

[quote=puzzleannie]don’t be in too big a hurry to get out of the valleys, valleys are where the rivers run, where the evidence of God’s handiwork through nature are most evident (think Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls), where progress is easier and the direction clearer, and often a lot less lonely than the mountain peaks. Also, sometimes we confuse our emotional roller coasters with the spiritual, not always the same thing. If you do as you suggest, allow God to direct your journey, the valley (or desert) experiences will be appreciated for the gifts that they are.
[/quote]

Thank you for the encouragement.

I was going to not get into any of the details of my “divine” experiences, but, I might as well jump into the water. The swimming seems to be fine.

You mentioned the mountain peaks. There not a bad place to be, but your right, your time on the peak is brief.

I was baptised Catholic and raised in the Catholic Church. I sufferd, however, from what I’ve always referred to as “smart people” disease.

It seems that if your blessed with strong analytical skills, it doesnt’ take a very big leap to decide that you know better than everyone else. In my case this led to essentially not practicing my faith from the Age of 16-25. I was agnostic at best.

I was working as a sales rep for a chemical company and we decided to have our annual sales meeting at a ranch in Colorado.

The lodge was at 10,000 feet and I was suffering from a bit of altitude sickness and couldn’t sleep.

The ranch was borderd on the east by a natual stone wall that reached a few undered feet into the air. The result of an ancient earth quake the created this ridge that extends from Canda to Mexico, sometimes above ground, sometimes below. Anyway…

So at ~4:00AM I decided to give the wall a climb.

It was still dark when I reached the top of the wall, so I found myself a nice comfortable spot to sit and watch the sun come up.

As the new day dawned, I looked out over the valley and watched the sun peek over the mountains. As the first beam of light flashed over the mountain peaks I heard clear as a bell: “I AM”.

I cried for about an hour and then finally headed back down the “cliff”. (It was not a very safe place to be it turned out, I’m lucky I didn’t kill my self climbing up the wall in the dark.)

All of a sudden, I “knew” there was a God and this knowledge demanded a response.

So I spent the next 5 years on a spiritual journey that brought me back to the God and His Church.

I’m a bit slow, so he had to hit me a few more times on the way.

Chuck

It was November 22, 2004 and I was at work in the morning. I’m not sure of the exact time. It was a normal day in every respect that I can remember. I was going about my happy little secular life without a care in the world. My wife and I were expecting our second child. I had health, a good job and financial security. I figured I was just about the happiest person in the world.

Then He hit. It’s hard to describe. Lightening bolt, dizziness, or out of body experience are words that are not good enough to describe it. Whatever it was, found myself in HIS presence and I began to cry uncontrollably. HIS pure love and perfection were too much to handle compared to my complete inadequacy. As fast as it started, it ended.

Since then, I have been to Mass every week and multiple times during the week. When I’m in the presence of the Eucharist, I begin to cry again. I’ve purchased a New American Bible and have read most of the NT. I purchased a Catholic Catechism and have completed it. I completed three other Catholic books. I joined the Knights of Columbus and competed my first degree. I’ve been trained and have started lectoring at my parish. I also started posting on the Catholic Answer forums and I’ve started apologizing.

I made a good confession this past Lent. It was my first confession in over 18 years. I completed an hour of adoration and intend to do much more. I’ve come to the conclusion that I was given a taste of purgatory. It was wonderful and horrible at the same time. Purgatory is not something that God does to us; we do it to ourselves. I’ve also realized that God is always with us but He does not subjugate us to HIS direct presence for our own good.

I now know what true happiness is and secularism is completely empty of it. Looking back, I realize I’ve been searching, without knowing it, for a long time. I was a cradle Catholic but I don’t believe I was Catechized very well. My family is not sure what to make of my new found religiousness. They have mostly fallen away a long time ago. I have my work cut our for me.

This all happened about 20 years ago. I had been away from the Catholic Church for a long time, but I was beginning to get these little stirrings about coming back to God. I had a business trip to Chicago during January, and the weather that week was some of the worst I had seen anywhere. I was only needed on the trade show floor a few hours a day, so I spent most of the rest of the time watching TV. It seemed every single channel had on one of those televangelists, preaching about Jesus, and that’s what I watched all week. At the end of that week, I decided to come back to Jesus – and the Catholic Church (as a first step, I planned on going to confession, but that’s another story)!

Very shortly after that, my company relocated me, and I had to stay in a hotel for a while. One night, I had just gotten into bed, but was not asleep – I wasn’t even fully lying down yet, but still propped on one elbow. I saw something sitting on my bed, a messenger, I guess, and I was so scared I wanted to scream or call the hotel front desk. But I was frozen in place and couldn’t move at all. The messenger was all gray, sort of human-shaped, but without a lot of detail. He didn’t say anything, but just held up a picture for me to look at. It was a color picture (done in that very colorful style you see in children’s textbooks) of Jesus, standing on a riverbank. Many, many people were sitting around Him, and He was teaching them.

After a few minutes, he left, and I wasn’t frightened anymore. And as of that night, the nightmares that had plagued me for years were gone.

I guess someone was telling that Jesus is the answer! :slight_smile:

I posted this once before on Nov. 23. I don’t know if the experience was divine or not but here it is …

I know what it looks like to imagine something in one’s mind, a figure, scene, object, persons etc. I suspect a vision is so much more than imagination. We do not imagine visions. I think a vision actually looks real and there is no doubt in the viewer’s mind that the image is visible and real. A strange feeling.

It’s different than imagination. It is sudden and startling when it is realized a vision has come. It’s fleeting but remains long enough to recognize it presence and what it is describing. It removes all forms of consciousness’ from your mind except the vision itself. It causes 100% involuntary attention until it leaves. The afterthought leaves no doubt and it is not hard to figure out what happened and why.

I saw a real human bleeding heart. It was as if the heart had been opened and all the parts could be seen. There was blood flowing out of the heart. And then, as I was startled, the vision went away. At that moment I knew the difference between imagination and vision.

CHRIST IS RISEN!
INDEED HE IS RISEN!

In March 1995, I was leaving an ikon and book store when I saw a flier announcing an ikon-writing class. I grabbed the last flier as I hurried out the door, the owner wanted to close for lunch.

I was excited and curious as for a number of years, my Labor Day Pilgrimage prayer had been for someone to teach how to write ikons.

As I headed towards my car, a HUGE gust of wind came along and litterally ripped the flier out of my and blew it down the street.

I stood there dumb-founded. I then felt a hand on the middle of my back and was given this HUGE shove down the street chasing the flier. I managed to grab it and shoved it into my coat pocket. There was NO ONE standing anywhere near me and my friends were waiting in the car with the engine running and blowing the horn for me to hurry up!

To make a long story short, I signed up for the class and the ikon-teacher has become one of my closest friends. I have been fortunate enough to have ikons hanging in 4 different churches including the church that my grandparents helped to found when they came to this country. I am in the process of starting the last ikon for an ikonostas for a small Ukrainian parish in the Mid-West.

CHRIST IS RISEN!
INDEED HE IS RISEN!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.