Have you ever made a casual mistake during Mass?

Like you know the Mass inside-out, forward and backward, but you still made a mistake? Like for someone, saying “seen and unseen,” and, “and also with you,” instead of “visible and invisible,” or “and with your spirit?” I once opened my mouth before the priest said, “The Body of Christ.” I was so embarrassed after that.

Believe it or not, even good, holy, and traditional priests make mistakes sometimes. God understands our weak nature and sees our good intentions.

As a server in the pre-60’s Mass, a few times.

Ah, yes! “Catholic amnesia.”

… something we especially suffer from when we suddenly find ourselves in a very small group at Holy Mass.

No. I never make mistakes. :rolleyes: :wink:

I rather loudly replied “the body of Christ” instead of saying “Amen” one day. And since the change in English wording, I always read the Credo from the missalette.

i have. I’m Byzantine but regularly attend a Latin parish, and I mix things up all the time.

Everyone makes mistakes.

But as I remember my own education, back in the days of the traditional Latin mass, the priest was bound to read the prayers from the missals and not recite them by memory. In order to prevent mistakes.

For an evil jerk like me it’s a mistake even to go to Mass

Despite not messing this up before, for the past few weeks I’ve caught myself saying, “Holy, holy, holy Lord God of posts” (can’t get away from “power and might” in my mind in favor of “hosts”). Not as bad as some mistakes I’ve made - and hopefully not as noticeable to those around me. :slight_smile:

You serious dude? What’s got you bent like that today? This isn’t your usual. I know you’ve been through a lot lately. Something new loaded on your back?

Knowing what to do when you first attend the Extraordinary Form of the Mass???

I am a musician in Church. I get to experience my mistakes but I am also in position to see the mistakes priest and deacons make. It is universal. We have all been there - done that.

I feel guilty when we say “thanks be to God!” After ,“the mass is ended, go in peace…”, I’m afraid to sound a little too thankful! If you know what I mean.

I also have serious problems when they go all Nicene Creed on me, I’m a real Apostolic kinda guy! That consubstantiation part just ain’t right :smiley:

Once at the abbey the deacon read (chanted actually as the readings are chanted) the Gospel from the wrong year.

Needless to say, this kind of threw off the priest’s homily!

So he started his homily by saying “in the Gospel we were supposed to hear today, Jesus said…”

It happens to anyone. Another time the monk used the reading for the wrong year at Vigils (they use the 2-year lectionary). I asked another monk after “why did Fr. So-and-so read the reading for year 1 when we’re in year 2?”

Monks are very straightforward guys. The answer? “Because Fr. So-and-so made a mistake”. This was early on in my contact with monasticism. Now I know they aren’t perfect :wink:

Don’t worry about it. Most of it remains a mystery. And it should.

All the time! haha my stutter seems to get the better of me once in a while.

I appreciate this story best of all. It takes me back to my own distant youth when it was all quite fresh and I had a similar reaction of why something was done the way it was (which was not the way it was supposed to be) and imagining there was a profound reason for it being done as it was done – only to be told that it was that way because it was done by mistake…or, even more, simply because the bishop did not want to do it the other way.

I would never have even noticed or thought of it, if a communicant opened their mouth at the time and in the manner you describe.

Of course people make mistakes all the time. The one most likely for me is when there is a change of pontiff or bishop and I have to remember not to name one in the interregnum and then to use the right name when we have the new one. It was rather hard in the case of Pope John Paul II, who had been pope for almost 26 1/2 years. That’s a long time for a habit to become ingrained.

:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.