Have you ever made a casual mistake during Mass?

The only “Real” mistake we can make is not being there in the first place! Lighten up. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of a Fr. Joseph Fessio one-liner.

*Father, have you seen a lot of liturgical abuse in your day?

Of course not, I’m usually the celebrant. *

A better question would be, “who hasn’t made a mistake?”

Good point. It seems we’re lulled into some kind of false sense of security when we commit everything to memory. Not impressive when we get a mental block of any kind.

Now I feel better about saying “praise be to God” instead of “thanks be to God” after the second scripture reading yesterday. :blush:

No :dts:, lol…I have. Few times. One that sticks out lately is, once during Communion. I accepted the Host, ok. Went to accept the wine, and cough, cough…not used to drinking, and our wine is really strong. I always feel it going down.

Oh, the fun of an actor’s mind combined with fatigue…

Anything I need to commit to memory, I learn in sequence - meaning I remember the line after by remembering the line before. This means if I don’t pay, very, very close attenition, the memorial acclamation occasionally results in me saying the following:

When we eat this bread,
and drink this cup,
we proclaim your death, O Lord,
and profess your Resurr–
…til you come again.

I’ve also tried to say the Our Father where I should be saying the Holy Holy Holy. Because, hey, why not. I’m standing right?

Amen

Responding “and also with you” a couple of times. Responding “it is right to give him thanks and praise” a couple of times. Saying “I am not worthy to receive you” a couple of times. Reverting to the former phrasing in the Creed a few times. Saying “God of power and might” a couple times.

I have a relatively loud voice and I’m sure I threw off the folks in the pews immediately ahead and behind.
Fortunately this is getting rarer and rarer.

And also with you ahem your spirit.

In the EF “Laus tibi Christi” is said after the main Gospel, “Deo gratias” after the Last Gospel.

My main problem is that I attend (and serve at) two different forms of the Mass each week, the Ordinariate use and the Novus Ordo (and from time to time I attend the EF when its available, but responses are not an issues there!). I know the Ordinariate responses better because they are mostly the same as the Book of Common Prayer. When saying the Nicene Creed at the NO Masses, I have to open the Mass Book and make sure I am reading every word, or I will fall into the BCP/Ordinariate form.

“and also with you,” is mine but I said it for years because it was said for years. I don’t understand why some things changed and don’t like why some things changed.

This change was to more closely reflect the Latin: “Et cum spiritu tuo” - meaning “and with your spirit.” “And also with you” would have been something like “et etiam cum te”, which is not what the Latin says.

I appreciate the response.

I get a little frustrated with my husband sometimes because he always says the wrong word to one of the responses. I sometimes wonder if it more out of stubbornness than error because there never seems to be any change.

Priest: “Lift up your hearts”
husband: “We have lifted them up to the Lord”

Last week, when we got to that point, I responded emphatically the correct response, “We LIFT them up to the Lord”.

Then the priest continued: “Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.” And after years of responding with the new translations my memory failed me and I responded. “It is right to give Him…then I caught myself”. But my husband heard it and let me know the next day. :blush:

I was at a Mass the other day where the priest ran us through our baptismal promises in lieu of the “I confess…” and he forgot the part about the Holy Spirit. So everyone makes mistakes.

Yes I have ,for some times I say the word,s before he does or the people in church.

You’re right but I never understood that translation. There is no lifting in the Latin and it is poor rhetoric actually. Lift up as opposed to what? Lift down? :slight_smile:

We…lll…, it IS possible to ‘lift down’. For instance, someone can lift down a book from a high bookshelf, or a can of beans in a supermarket.
‘Lift’ means ‘taking the weight of’ something into one’s hands’, I suppose.

What does ‘Sursum corda’ mean, exactly?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.