Have you ever renovated very old building?

…an if, was it worth the sweat? :wink:

How much money are you willing to spend? You better be willing to gut it down to the studs if necessary. Knob and tube wiring, mold, bad plumbing, termite damage, rodent damage, and lead paint are just some of the issues.

Watch This Old House and Mike Holmes they’re accurate.

Difficult to say. We don´t have the money to do all things needed (electricity, roof, bath etc) today but we plan in the next years to buy an old house with the basics already done. Now we found an old famer´s house from the 1700´s for ca. 6000$ and well, it´s tempting (big area, room for business, a large family and animals) but as you can imagine for the price, nothing is done. We seriously thought of buying it and staying in our appartment and do whatever we can by ourselves in the next years so we can move in someday. I´m just not sure if it´s worth the work, or if it falls down because of the damaged roof (we can´t fix it know) until we have the money.

When I did electrical work, the oldest building I ever worked on was built in the early 1920s, but it was still quite a learning experience, becoming familiar with the old building methods and trying to add what the client wanted while preserving the building as much as possible. Everything cost more and took longer to do. Of course, I was getting paid to work there, so the budget wasn’t my problem :slightly_smiling_face:. It had been registered as a historic landmark, so tearing it down wasn’t an option.

This is the thing with the object we found, too. But as far as I know the legal situation, we are allowed to let it stand without renovation even if this could lead to further damage. In germany, you are not allowed to do the electricity if you aren´t a professional, so on this field we would have to pay the money one day (aprox. 10k). At the moment, I don´t need electricity there (we could use it as weekend house for the first years) and as we love camping, we are good with fire and candles :smiley: What concerns me more is the roof and the sewage. The latter is only constructed unitl the property´s border.

It sounds like it would be prudent to pay a building inspector to look at it and see if it is structurally sound. Check for termite damage or wood rot, a good foundation, and verify just how safe that questionable roof is. If I were younger and richer, I would be tempted to undertake such a project :smiley:. Not so much now :older_man:.

This is good advice, thank you. We have friends who already renovated an old house and we will take them with us for having a look, as well as looking for a building inspector. As far as we know the walls are solid, wood rot is something we need to check out, but fortunately many walls are solid bricks.
We are young but definately not rich, and we know the costs are something that is doable only after years of saving for us. But on the other side, we could buy the house without loaning and…not much rational argumentation here, I know. Maybe romantic dreams. But I always loved those ancient houses.

Maybe I´m a bit weird but this is eye candy for me…

Our home. When we got it, it was more like a shed used for storing bran and feed. It has been renovated many times over the 30 plus years we’ve lived here. In hindsight we should have just leveled it and started over. Really it has cost us lots of money and time and sweat to get it where it is and it still has it’s issues. But back then we were young and just needed a home to live in.

Yup. My philosophy as well.

We were young, we weren’t the smartest, we didn’t have much money, we were newly married and expecting our first baby. Time was of the most importance.

Solution :top::top:

NOT too sturdy during hurricane season.

Live like the Gypsies and move around :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s more like it but I am a fan of proper indoor bathroom facilities so I don’t know if this would qualify.

We have exactly this tent for our longer camping trips :smiley: :smiley:
I would go for the more weather stabil mongol yurt, but then there´s your biggest enemy, the german building construction law - it´s forbidden :confused:

Yes, this is a reasonable thinking. But Cajun´s last sentence is also a reality. We don´t have to leave our rented appartment right now, but there are many negative points on the renting side here - I am not allowed to use it for business, for example, and this means less money than I could earn. My husband had to leave his little forging company completely without a garden.

Yes,we have renovated very old buildings in our family.
I agree with Cruciferi about an inspector.
And an architect ,somebody qualified to tell you exactly where you are standing with this undertaking.
Until then,you won t know …
Our experience was special because they were buildings that belonged to the family. So we were determined to do it.
My husband is very careful when it comes to building,so that was the difficult part and it went fine.
Mine was mostly choosing whatever apart from construction proper building materials,pipes,et etc etc. That is to say, my part was more aesthetical… I loved every minute of it.
You ve got to love the project. We did. Otherwise ,it might be easier to build from scratch or buy something newer.
In any case,there is a need for some cash flow to make it immediately inhabitable .That is kind of a given. Normally electricity and water pipes have to be replaced.
But again,until it is thoroughly inspected,you won t know where you are standing.
Love the idea btw . All the best!

We “lived” in hubby’s bedroom at his parents’ house for 4 months until the house was done. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: VERY INTERESTING for newly weds. :flushed: But we survived cause we were in LOVE! :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :couplekiss_man_woman:

Exactly our story. We “escaped” in another cheaper county to change this. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.