Have you ever thought other religions might be correct on their beliefs?

:kissing: have you thought other religions might be correct?

Myself, not really, but ask any convert.

I’m a pre-catechumen…growing up as a non-Catholic I never thought of religions as right and wrong but each religion grasps some part of truth. As I learn Catholicism and contemplate becoming Catholic, I wonder if I’ll be able to completely ignore other religions not because they might be “correct” but maybe they’ve grasped some truth I’d like to know about.
Also, spirituality and religion can feel so abstract, it’s hard to wrap my head around teachings that can get so specific and considered correct.

These are just my thoughts for now. I’m definitely on a faith/ learning journey to sort through all the thoughts on this idea of right and wrong regarding religion.

1 Like

Yes, it’s crossed my mind — Judaism, Eastern Orthodoxy, even fundamentalist “Bible-believing Christians”. Any thinking person who engages with the world, and attempts to see things from the other person’s point of view (so as to refute or convert them), is going to have occasional moments of doubt. It’s an occupational habit of being a student of the world and of life. That is when you say “I believe, Lord, help my unbelief”.

I do not entertain doubts that liberal Christians and other such religionists might be right — abortion rights, premarital sex, homosexual acts and “gay marriage”, acts that nature itself tells you are filthy and disordered, euthanasia, assisted suicide, and so on. Neither do I entertain doubts that the atheists may be right — not when you look at the world and see how many things could not have simply evolved, could not have just “fallen together” (the rotary engine on the tail of a bacterium, the structure of the eye, and so on). There was a creator. Even if you were to say that life was created by an alien intelligence, the question then would be “all right, then, but who created them?”.

2 Likes

For me, the resurrection of Christ and him giving the keys to Peter and the historicity of the Church kinda eliminates everything else… so no.

2 Likes

what do you mean by religions? different christian groups? different major religions?

Maybe some things.

All religions are a search for the transcendent good, so they have elements that point us to our highest end.
The Catholic Church has the fullness of this.

5 Likes

Not in a long time. If you’ve been properly catechized, it becomes a lot harder to fall into doubt. “The more you know”.

1 Like

other religions found everywhere try to counter the restlessness of the human heart, each in its own manner, by proposing “ways,” comprising teachings, rules of life, and sacred rites. The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself.
Nostra Aetate 2

I am not sure why anyone is talking about doubt. Properly catechized, you will know that all religions may contain what is true and holy. And that we revere all that reflect a ray of God’s truth.

1 Like

@Dovekin Is it in the Catechism that the Church doesn’t reject what is true and holy in other religions? Or just general knowledge? I’m curious, thank you!

“have you thought other religions might be correct?”

Correct as in Right or True? Never.

For the very reason that there exists a Legion of diamatrically opposed disagreements of fundamentals - all belief systems cannot be all totally ‘correct’

Yes… There often exists varying degrees of common ground

• such as any who strongly embrace the so-called Golden Rule.

That Said, the Catholic Church accepts anything which is true within other religions.
and in a similar manner as others do - rejects that which by necessity must be deemed, “False”.

_

Correct about what?

We don’t even need to be ‘properly catechized’
We just need the gift of faith and the will to give that seed strong roots.

Are you having doubts?

Sure! My opinion is that religion can’t even begin to encompass all that God is and even Christianity with it’s fullness of truth, can barely even scrape the tip of the iceberg that is our Lord.

Do other religions have some things right? Yerp!

Does Christianity have the most right out of all of them? Sure! But I wouldn’t be shocked if it had things wrong or incomplete.

In the sense, say, Hinduism has the belief on karma (you get back what you give sort of thing). I don’t think Christianity has that belief exactly spelled out that way, but with a bit of Christian extrapolation, I wouldn’t be surprised if God would give us a slap on the wrist here and there for our bad behavior.

Our Eastern Orthodox brothers seem to be pretty correct on things.

I think a better question would be “Have you ever thought other religions would be more correct than Catholicism on its beliefs?” I’m saying this because any religion can be correct on some things that the Catholic Church agrees on, but just not everything.

2 Likes

What I quoted was from Vatican II’s Declaration on the Relation of the Church with Non-Christian Religions.

The catechism expresses the same idea using the language from another decree, Ad Gentes:

856 The missionary task implies a respectful dialogue with those who do not yet accept the Gospel. Believers can profit from this dialogue by learning to appreciate better “those elements of truth and grace which are found among peoples, and which are, as it were, a secret presence of God.” They proclaim the Good News to those who do not know it, in order to consolidate, complete, and raise up the truth and the goodness that God has distributed among men and nations, and to purify them from error and evil “for the glory of God, the confusion of the demon, and the happiness of man.”
CCC

CCC= Catechism of the Catholic Church
Nostra Aetate = In Our Time = Vatican II’s Declaration on the Relation of the Church with Non-Christian Religions.

I should have cited this more clearly.

1 Like

Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox. That is about it. I have considered that some others might have been correct on particular issues, but never as a whole.

Never. I am a cradle Catholic and I have never considered a different religion.

1 Like

Thank you!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.