Have you ever wondered why there are no Anti-Protestant groups?

I was sitting here looking over title threads when it occurred to me that all the many times I have heard “anti-catholic”, I have never heard anyone refer to being “anti-protestant”. Why do you think that is?

Because the very definition of ‘Protestant’ means to ‘protest’. Catholics aren’t protesting.

That is because they call themselves “Christians” and therefore if there is an anti- rhetoric or behavior it is called anti-Christian.

Brenda V.

I see lots of anti-Protestant groups. Just none of them are Christians. These include organizations like the ACLU, Freedom From Religion, People for the Separation of Church and State and the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

I do see a good deal of sniping between various protestant groups as well.

There are clearly some Christian groups that are much better at being charitable than others. And there are some that are worse. There are also patterns of and cycles of sniping and fighting and peace.

Not only that, why don’t you hear about fundamentalist or Evangelical groups being created to go after Eastern Orthodox like there are to go after Catholics? Why are there no such groups as Missions To Methodists or Christians Evangelizing Anglicans?

:hmmm:

Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice.
amazon.com/New-Anti-Catholicism-Last-Acceptable-Prejudice/dp/0195154800

I have often wondered why most Protestants don’t see fundamentalists as a threat. After all, I’ve been in churches and in discussions with pastors in which they expressed a lot of suspicion over whether the members of other nonCatholic Christian Churches were actually Christians.:frowning:

I don’t know about groups that are explicitly anti-Protestant but anti-Protestantism does exist today. Mostly in historically Catholic or Orthodox countries where Evangelical missionaries are encroaching.

there are certainly groups that target Christians in general and those who target especially evangelicals and denominations that in general demand an adherence to Gospel values and the commandments of their members, who are generally attacked under the “fundamentalist” label when they do speak the truth.

Because as one priest once said, “The devil always goes for the jugular.” :bigyikes:

why don’t you hear about fundamentalist or Evangelical groups being created to go after Eastern Orthodox like there are to go after Catholics?

If you’re Orthodox, you hear of these groups all the time. Spiros Zoodiates comes immediately to mind.

It is much easier to shoot bombs at a huge stationary target with an ancient history, say a city on a hill, than a bunch of small moving targets that come and go and are in a constant state of change, say all the RV’s on any given road at any given time.

any group that would be anti-protestant would be anti-christian in general. besides anti-catholic groups derive from their own instability in their own faith and so they need to hit others down in order to try and raise themselves up.

Some would say that some Catholics are anti-Protestant. If you browse the non-Catholic religions you’ll get an idea of why I say that.

I suppose you’re asking about Catholic anti-Protestants. There are a few, mind you, but nowhere are virulent.

There isn’t so much anti-Protestantism because we do not need them to be wrong for us to be right.

They, on the other hand, need the Catholic Church to be wrong for them to be right, since their origins are in a rebellion against the Catholic Church. If the Church is right, then they have no reason to exist.

The Catholic Church is founded on Christ, and carries His message. It is the only keeping Satan from running rampant over the earth.

Anti-Catholic attacks at their core are fuled by Satan, whether the attackers know it or not. If the attacks stopped, I’d be worried. Since that would mean the Church is doing something wrong.

Actually, alot of non-Catholics do find fundamentalists as a threat to their image. I’m a recent convert and always considered myself evangelical and I always took huge issue with the fundamentalists…so did most of my friends (all of which are non-Catholic).

I think fundamentalists appear to be running rampant because they are so noisy, but there are alot of Christians, Catholic and non-Catholic alike who don’t really take them very seriously.

Or that Christ is on his way down! :eek: :smiley: Hope everyone will be ready!

I got called an anti-Protestant right here on CAF in the last couple of days.:whistle:

I pointed out that I am not anti-anything but error.

One reason that there are no real a-P groups is that there is such a myriad of n-C Christian communities and so many of them don’t accept themselves as being de-facto Protestants (by virtue of holding the same errant doctrines). I suspect that that is from them not really looking outside their own community “box” and from a rather odd lack of historical knowledge and perspective. :shrug:

Who needs a “group”? Catholics are generally hip deep in having to respond to folks with either sincere questions or rhetorical attacks.:coffeeread:
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum…

Catholic apologetics is basically defensive and **in response **to anti-Catholic propaganda that is directed publicly, loudly, aggressively, and unrelentlessly against Catholics and the Catholic Faith.

Catholics, on the other hand, to not have whole organizations created for the specific purpose of attacking Protestantism. Thus there are no groups such as “Missions To Protestants” or “Christians Evangelizing Protestants.” The Catholic Church is not so insecure that it has to go out and **target **other Christian groups and believers.

If there were no anti-Catholics, there would be no need for Catholic apologetics.

To me, the standard for serious Catholic anti-Protestantism is when Catholics start putting out the equivalent of Jack Chick’s trash-tainment, and other Catholics start leaving them on the windshields of cars parked outside of Protestant churches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.