Have you heard Baptists say "THAT STUFF" about Catholics?

I was at the web site listed below and noted some misstruths, outright lies, and perhaps hatefull things about Catholics:

av1611.org/jmelton/Catholic.html

Have you every heard a Baptist member or preacher say or write things that were untrue or missleading about Catholics? Have you ever read Baptist publications that were outright lies?

Please give links and examples of things that Baptists have said about Catholic that were just not true. Give us examples of things you have heard Baptist preachers say about Catholics from the pulpit that were untrue or inapropriate.

You may even exaplain how the Baptist claims were untrue. This is not a thread to argue Baptist beliefs in general, just the ones they make against the Catholic Church that are untrue or missleading. If what they say is true then proof it too. Who knows, maybe they have some truth in there somewhere that if politely said, we might listen to it? Where and why did they start these lies? Why do so many ignorent Catholics fall for these lies (ignorent of Church teachings only that is)? Do most Baptists even really know what the Church teaches? Do they even care?

If you are now or have been or have attended Baptist meetings then you should have some helpfull things to say and explain here.

Remember too that Baptists are our seperated/schismatic brothers and sisters in Christ so lets treat them with some repect and love that all Gods children and brothers and siters of Jesus deserve.

I feel sorry for our Eastern rite Catholics too as the Baptists seem to lump you all in with us too? Is this on purpose or do the Baptists not know that the ‘Roman’ rite is just one branch of the one true Catholic Church under the Bishop of Rome and the Eastern rite is the another? Are you Eastern Catholics offended by this or notice this too? Catholics have a hard time with this subject so could we possibly expect a seperated/schismatic brother to know it?

God bless,

PS, why can I not start a poll with this thread?

I have seen/heard Protestants and Catholics misrepresent Mormons. I have seen/heard Protestants misrepresent Catholics, and seen/ heard Catholics misrepresent Protestants.
If one feels the need to put down another belief than perhaps that person’s own faith is lacking.

Yes I’ve seen/heard a lot of misconstrued ideas about the Catholic religion. IMO they are spread by people who, as you asked in your post, don’t want to be told they are wrong. They are getting a lot of satisfaction believing the misconstrued idea because it makes it easier to criticize the Catholic religion. If they would slow down, read, study and pray, they might not be so quick to judge. AND, they WOULD learn more about our religion as well as their own, as lilyofthevalley suggested.

:nope:

one more thing…

and…yes…there are many Catholics as well who criticize their own faith out of ignorance…as I said before, read, study and pray. Make sure you know what you are criticizing before you criticize it!!! :confused:

[quote=Malachi4U]I
I feel sorry for our Eastern rite Catholics too as the Baptists seem to lump you all in with us too? Is this on purpose or do the Baptists not know that the ‘Roman’ rite is just one branch of the one true Catholic Church under the Bishop of Rome and the Eastern rite is the another? Are you Eastern Catholics offended by this or notice this too? Catholics have a hard time with this subject so could we possibly expect a seperated/schismatic brother to know it?

[/quote]

Well, I grew up Southern Baptist but I don’t remember reading such things. Also, I’m not sure most Baptists know that there is a Eastern Rite, much less Rites to the Catholic Church. When I mentioned to my family about my interest in the Catholic Church (which didn’t go well, I might add), all they knew was the Roman CC. It was rather amusing to watch their faces when I told them there was more than just the Western Latin Rite. All most Baptists know of is the “Roman” CC. And of course, most haven’t even heard of the Orthodox. :smiley:

Kent Hovind is a baptist evangalist who does work with Creationism, evolution and dinosaurs. He has a great line. “Eat the meat, spit out the bone”. Basically take the good of what he says for what it is, reject the bad.

He buys into that whole Jack Chick nonsense about how the Pope started Islam to regain control of Jerusalem. Of course, I guess it never occured to Chick (Or Hovind) that Jerusalem was part of the Eastern Roman Empire, and within the “realm” of the Catholic church. So I don’t know why the pope would have to create islam to get back what was already in Christiandom.

He also says its Catholic doctrine that man gets to be God. Don’t know his source but we obviously don’t get to be God and I’ve never heard that taught, or seen it written. So my links would be www.drdino.com and www.chick.com.

He wants to win us to the lord and share the gospel with us. Isn’t that nice? :slight_smile:

Here in Alabama, or as I affectionately call it “Southern Baptistville” I hear untruths, half-truths and down right lies all the time. Several of these folks are decent enough to throw these accusations to my face.

I no longer hold illusions about what many Baptists believe as I had a rather rude awakening at the mega-church of one of the leaders of the Southern Baptist convention. He minced no words and let me know what he thought of my beliefs while literally hanging over me. I also realize that while the methods may be distasteful, the heart is in the right place.:o

[quote=Lilyofthevalley]I have seen/heard Protestants and Catholics misrepresent Mormons. I have seen/heard Protestants misrepresent Catholics, and seen/ heard Catholics misrepresent Protestants.
If one feels the need to put down another belief than perhaps that person’s own faith is lacking.
[/quote]

Lily-that sums things my experience pretty well, too. I grew up in a pretty fundamentalist area. Friends would invite me to their church/youth groups, and I’d hear all kinds of terrible things about other groups. Catholics got slammed a lot, but so did Mormons, and even other prot. groups. In Catholic parishes, I honestly didn’t hear so much of that in person, but I sure see a lot of it on boards such as this. I never know to attribute it to the anonymity of the internet, or the zeal of ex-prot converts, or what. Anywho, thanks for your comments.

Sure many people of faith disparage other faiths but there seems to be little excuse for those who falsely misrepresent the catholic church. We have the catholic cathechsim that explicitly spells out we don’t do things that we are often accused of. Unlike the Mormons who don’t publish some fo their more unique doctrines for the general public and the confusing world of protestantism where interpretation can depend on an individual pastor. The catholic church interpretation is no secret like other sects. Thus I think there should be less of an excuse of the downright lies of Mary Worship, The Pope is a diety, the catholic church is a works based religion, you can still buy your way out of purgatory, etc etc.

Find out what James White said about his sister, Patty Bonds converting to the Catholic faith and you will see what Baptists believe.

It is unfortunate but it is not just Baptists who are at fault. The same thing has come from others such as Calvary Chapel, Seventh Day Adventists, and the list goes on. The worst part is that there are some who actually believe and propagate the Jack Chick comics.

Even here in Australia we have had the privilege of someone deciding that our parish needed to read all about the Death Cookie and why Mary was Weeping :slight_smile: . The parish priest at the time even pinned the tracts on the notice board so that we could see it for ourselves. It was so kind of that person to drop it in the slot for the St. Vincent de Paul donations. What a pity that the person did not make a more charitable donation of money to give to the poor.

Oh yes, and I had it in private email from a Baptist that our priests do not read the Bible etc. etc. Well, that lady finally identified herself on the list where I was posting (after sending her little tract annonymously) and she proved how little she knew about the Catholic faith, despite claiming that she had once been Catholic (you should have seen how many times her story changed in its detail). There have been others who did the same kind of thing and they insinuated all kinds of things such as making insinuating remarks about the Papal Chair and the symbols that are found on it (without understanding anything about how St. Peter died). However, what really capped things off with that particular fundamentalist Baptist would have to be her insinuation that John the Baptist founded the Baptist Church (and then denying what she said - she was really good at the denial thing).

Some of my relatives converted to the Baptist church, and at my aunt’s funeral, the pastor intimated that none of the relatives present should weep because this woman was going to heaven. The reason? She had become a Baptist of course. The insinuation was there, not just for the Catholic relatives, but for the other Protestant relatives (all elderly and lovely people) who were also present.

Not all Baptists are as bad as these examples and for this we should be grateful.

Maggie

[quote=jaydog77]…He also says its Catholic doctrine that man gets to be God. Don’t know his source but we obviously don’t get to be God and I’ve never heard that taught, or seen it written. So my links would be www.drdino.com and www.chick.com.
[/quote]

Catholics don’t get to be God! Thats shows you how much they don’t understand.

Now this may come as a surprise to you but upon salvation Catholics (and other Christians that may pass judgment) do BECOME GOD!:love: Check out CCC 460.:hmmm: Study all the notes and go to the writtings it came from. In a few weeks you will know the difference between ‘get to be God’ and ‘become God’. Good ole Jack may be partly right, just out of context?:eek:

He wants to win us to the lord and share the gospel with us. Isn’t that nice? :slight_smile:

Jack Chick does not want to share the Gospel of Christ with us, he wants to force feed us his abridged and edited version of his bible and missinterpretation of it on us.

Jesus gave His Church a ‘verbal Gospel’. That Gospel is now in the Tradition of the Catholic Church. The bible is Tradition from the Catholic Church. So Jack Chick is spreading Catholic Tradition, just a bit skewed!:smiley:

[quote=Malachi4U]Catholics don’t get to be God! Thats shows you how much they don’t understand.

Now this may come as a surprise to you but upon salvation Catholics (and other Christians that may pass judgment) do BECOME GOD!:love: Check out CCC 460.:hmmm: Study all the notes and go to the writtings it came from. In a few weeks you will know the difference between ‘get to be God’ and ‘become God’. Good ole Jack may be partly right, just out of context?:eek: Jack Chick does not want to share the Gospel of Christ with us, he wants to force feed us his abridged and edited version of his bible and missinterpretation of it on us.

Jesus gave His Church a ‘verbal Gospel’. That Gospel is now in the Tradition of the Catholic Church. The bible is Tradition from the Catholic Church. So Jack Chick is spreading Catholic Tradition, just a bit skewed!:smiley:
[/quote]

Hey, guys and gals, there is an enormous difference in the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox doctrines of the “deification of man” and the notion that man can become gods, held by Mormons and other heretics.

God shares his Divine Life with us in Holy Communion. His Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, are assimilated through normal bodily processes and become our body and blood. This is what the doctrine means – not that we ourselves can become gods.

JMJ Jay

[quote=Cairisti]Well, I grew up Southern Baptist but I don’t remember reading such things. Also, I’m not sure most Baptists know that there is a Eastern Rite, much less Rites to the Catholic Church. When I mentioned to my family about my interest in the Catholic Church (which didn’t go well, I might add), all they knew was the Roman CC. It was rather amusing to watch their faces when I told them there was more than just the Western Latin Rite. All most Baptists know of is the “Roman” CC. And of course, most haven’t even heard of the Orthodox. :smiley:
[/quote]

:yup: Friend, this is so true. The typical lay Baptist has no idea about the structure of other churches or existence of other churches outside their own. Yeah, when you say “Orthodox” they think you are talking about Jews or something!!!

So true, so true.

Peace…

I was raised as a Southern Baptist. I learned at an early age that the Catholic Church was the Whore of Babylon and that the Pope was the antichrist. I heard this from the pulpit and in Sunday School. Often! It was a rare Sunday that Catholic teachings were not maligned or ridiculed in the church of my birth. We regularly prayed for Catholics, who were doomed for hell if they didn’t leave their church and become “Bible-believing Christians.”

Individual Catholics (like me!) may criticize Baptist “churches” (and Protestantism in general) but the Catholic Church does not.

In my experience, scratch a Baptist and you’ll find a bigot. I’m sure that’s not true of every Baptist, but that was my personal experience with the Baptists I knew personally and my numerous Baptist relatives in two states.

The last Baptist funeral I attended I swore would be my last. Even at funerals, Baptist preachers can’t resist slamming the Catholic Church.

Jay Damien
Ex-Southern Baptist, ex-agnostic, ex-atheist, ecstatic to be Catholic!

Yes, I have heard Baptists say things about Catholics. My husband is a Baptist, although he claims he’s non-denominational, he believes in OSAS, the Lord’s Supper is stictly symbolic, Baptism is not necessary - it, too, is just a symbol and that Catholics believe they are saved by works! He also believes that what Catholics practice has no basis in Scripture and he also believes in Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide.

How do I handle it? Well, it started when I made my Cursillo. Since then I have been like a sponge - reading, studying, praying. We used to have “discussions” that my kids called the “Holy Wars” and at that time I was not very good at defending my faith to him (or his family!). Well, we no longer have those “discussions” because I can now put him in his place about what Catholics believe. I demonstrate my faith to him daily. I am very active in my parish and I now am the teacher! I’ve even had him reading from the Catechism!

Our family is a mixed family - My husband and his twin boys are Baptist (actually the twins were baptized into the Catholic faith by their mother but she was not active in her faith and when they divorced, the only religious exposure that had came from their father, therefore, they are essentially Baptists). Our youngest - my son - is Catholic with me. Between the two of us, we are educating (by doing) my husband and the twins. In May of 03, one of the twins married a nice Catholic girl whose father is very active in the Arise movement here. We have them surrounded! I am working on my husband and my stepson’s father-in-law is working on him!

My suggestion is to surround Protestants with your faith by living it and explain as you go. My husband recently underwent surgery and while in the hospital he was not visited by the Baptists - he was visited by the Catholic priests, Catholic nuns and Catholic Eucharistic Ministers (they, of course, did not administer Communion but just came by to visit and pray because they knew I was Catholic. Who knew Catholics could pray so well spontaneously like the Baptists!!!). This Eucharistic Minister even commented on how we needed to work on converting my husband and even left him a rosary that he had my huband pick for himself!!!
He even occasionally comes to Mass with me and my pastor loves it! They are good friends.

I hope and pray that my husband will develop at least a curiosity about what the Church actually teaches. I long to share my faith with him. I only hope that living my faith around him will tranform him.

[quote=jaydog77]Kent Hovind is a baptist evangalist who does work with Creationism, evolution and dinosaurs. He has a great line. “Eat the meat, spit out the bone”. Basically take the good of what he says for what it is, reject the bad.

He buys into that whole Jack Chick nonsense about how the Pope started Islam to regain control of Jerusalem. Of course, I guess it never occured to Chick (Or Hovind) that Jerusalem was part of the Eastern Roman Empire, and within the “realm” of the Catholic church. So I don’t know why the pope would have to create islam to get back what was already in Christiandom.

He also says its Catholic doctrine that man gets to be God. Don’t know his source but we obviously don’t get to be God and I’ve never heard that taught, or seen it written. So my links would be www.drdino.com and www.chick.com.

[/quote]

He’s a dishonest dork from over in Pensacola. I’ve seen one of his videos and he wasn’t 5 minutes into it before he posts a quote from the CCC TOTALLY outta context and says that we believe that we become God. then goes on to compare us to the Mormons. His footnote said he got it from Chick Publications, which means he doesn’t do his own homework. I’ve had guys come back from his videos and jump me saying that the pope approves of evolution. I just pointed out that I have no respect for Hovind because I’ve caught him not kowing what he’s talking about and misrepresenting the Catholic Church. Then I said, " Did he quote a particular pope and give a papal document? If not he’s full of baloney again because I’d have to see it in writing and then we could look at it in context to see just what was said and meant." The guy shut up.

BTW about 6 months ago the IRS and FBI raided Hovind’s places here because he seems to not be paying taxes properly and has issues with the state about his tax exemption on millions of dollars worth of his sales. I haven’t heard what came of it.

True :thumbsup: what they’re debating is something the Catholic Church compiled.

A bit skewed :bigyikes:

True, never in my 40 something years of going to Mass, have I ever heard a Priest say anything bad about other faiths.
And converts will realise that too, I really think if your unsure about your own faith, in order to keep alive the untruth, you have to keep feeding it with anti-Catholic baloney.

[quote=(Joshua)]True, never in my 40 something years of going to Mass, have I ever heard a Priest say anything bad about other faiths.
And converts will realise that too, I really think if your unsure about your own faith, in order to keep alive the untruth, you have to keep feeding it with anti-Catholic baloney.
Good point. It makes sense.
[/quote]

[quote=Katholikos]I was raised as a Southern Baptist. I learned at an early age that the Catholic Church was the Whore of Babylon and that the Pope was the antichrist. I heard this from the pulpit and in Sunday School. Often! It was a rare Sunday that Catholic teachings were not maligned or ridiculed in the church of my birth. We regularly prayed for Catholics, who were doomed for hell if they didn’t leave their church and become “Bible-believing Christians.”

Individual Catholics (like me!) may criticize Baptist “churches” (and Protestantism in general) but the Catholic Church does not.

In my experience, scratch a Baptist and you’ll find a bigot. I’m sure that’s not true of every Baptist, but that was my personal experience with the Baptists I knew personally and my numerous Baptist relatives in two states.

The last Baptist funeral I attended I swore would be my last. Even at funerals, Baptist preachers can’t resist slamming the Catholic Church.

Jay Damien
Ex-Southern Baptist, ex-agnostic, ex-atheist, ecstatic to be Catholic!
[/quote]

Strangely enough I am actually somewhat relieved to read this post. I thought I had been singled out because of being Catholic. I even justified the “attention” by telling myself someone “outed” me because I could not believe that this diversion into Catholicism was part of the sermon.

In retrospect it’s kinda funny, he probably didn’t realize who he was sweating over and spitting on!:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.