Have you heard Contraception during homilies?

Have you ever heard a priest talk on contraception during a homily?? Either promoting or condemning it? I am 25 years old and have gone to mass every week and don’t ever remember hearing one.

from a visiting priest at a Latin Mass…I guess we got lucky.

Once a year, during the summer months, our priest will give a humdinger of a homily. It makes me want to become one of those Baptist that can “Shout it out” when he does. Unfortunately, he feels that if he gives these homilies more than once a year, people will complain. We tell him that he should give homilies that deal with hard hitting Catholic truths all the time.

Only at the Latin Mass

[font=Arial][font=Arial]Our priest mentions contraception, abortion, living together out of wed-lock and many other issues all the time and you can hear people squirming in their seats uncomfortably. I pray more priests fallow his example as well as the laity. :slight_smile:

[/font][/font]

I have heard many homilies praising NFP, but none directly condemning contraception.

Not only have I not heard a word during homilies, but when I asked why the pastor implied I was trying to stir up controversy!

[quote=jaralenio][font=Arial][font=Arial]Our priest mentions contraception, abortion, living together out of wed-lock and many other issues all the time and you can hear people squirming in their seats uncomfortably. I pray more priests fallow his example as well as the laity. :slight_smile:

[/font][/font]
[/quote]

Ditto. Our priest can work all these subjects very nicely into a homily, and he does it often.

[quote=Fortiterinre]I have heard many homilies praising NFP, but none directly condemning contraception.
[/quote]

Food for thought -

Has anyone heard of anyone - Priest, Deacon, Laity - speaking on the right reasons to use NFP? NFP can be sinful if it’s used for the wrong reasons. Some examples: to avoid having children all together. to limit the number of children to a number well below the number that a couple could support. to allow a wife to have a “career” outside the home (I probably just asked for it from the feminists with that one).

[quote=Charlemagne]Food for thought -

Has anyone heard of anyone - Priest, Deacon, Laity - speaking on the right reasons to use NFP? NFP can be sinful if it’s used for the wrong reasons. Some examples: to avoid having children all together. to limit the number of children to a number well below the number that a couple could support. to allow a wife to have a “career” outside the home (I probably just asked for it from the feminists with that one).
[/quote]

Precisely! (Not on the feminist bit, on the sin bit) :thumbsup:

Actually if you take the course from the Couple to Couple League they mention the fact that you aren’t supposed to use it for “selfish” reasons. They also give example lists of when it is appropriate.

I.E. dangerous to conceive, child spacing, person has a real medical reason for using birth control pill, etc.

I haven’t heard any preaching on contraception recently or very often. However, a few years ago, we had an older, guest priest give a “mission” at Sunday Mass for 3 consecutive weeks. He actually spoke about the Church’s teaching on contraception, modesty and dress codes for attending Mass, Friday penance, popular devotions, and the evil of abortion. He even talked about the possibility of going to hell! I do believe it was the first time some of the younger people in attendance actually heard a priest discuss these issues. He was well-received by the parish. It would be extremely beneficial to hear more of this type of catechesis from the pulpit. How many times do we need to hear *I’m okay…you’re okay; love your neighbor; love God; have good intentions, etc.? *

Only while attending the Traditional Latin Mass.
:thumbsup:

never in all my years have I heard a homily that even touched on contraception. It took a (former) Protestant’s witness against it for me to learn the Catholic Church’s teaching–Kimberly Hahn in Rome Sweet Home.

Cathy

i think talks about what you should or shouldn’t do disappeared when Sermons turned into Homilys… I think it is a real poverty that we are uncomfortable with reminding catholics of all that the catholic church teaches… a great disservice is done the the laity and especially the youth of the church… i’m not sure if bad advice is not worse than no guidence at all…

Sad to day I have never heard a homily specifically discussing contraception. I wish they would.

[quote=Marauder]Actually if you take the course from the Couple to Couple League they mention the fact that you aren’t supposed to use it for “selfish” reasons. They also give example lists of when it is appropriate.

I.E. dangerous to conceive, child spacing, person has a real medical reason for using birth control pill, etc.
[/quote]

No personal experience with them, but I get the feeling that they wouldn’t stress this very much. But then they have to first overcome the notion ingrained in many that that “there’s nothing wrong” with contraconception.

Wasn’t there a time when the Church taught there were graces from living continently? I think it’s even in the Summa. Do people still enter into Josephite sp? marriages?

Most of what our homilys are are just summations of the readings and how they apply to our lives. I guess we don’t read much scripture in Mass that deals with contraception.

In the pre-conciliar era (speaking as one old enough to have been there), there were a LOT of sermons about doctrinal issues, not so much on contraception as it wasn’t so popular back then. So in the course of a year you might not hear much commentary on the readings, but you would sure know Church doctrine.

As part of the reforms accompanying the post-conciliar changes, homilies now are SUPPOSED to now pertain primarily to the readings, and fir the most part that has been done. But maybe we need to start working some doctrinal issues into the mix as well.

JimG

[quote=PASCENDI]No personal experience with them, but I get the feeling that they wouldn’t stress this very much. But then they have to first overcome the notion ingrained in many that that “there’s nothing wrong” with contraconception.

Wasn’t there a time when the Church taught there were graces from living continently? I think it’s even in the Summa. Do people still enter into Josephite sp? marriages?
[/quote]

Actually if you look at their web page you can see where they talk about “responsible parenthood”. Take a look here
and
here

Even the Pope talks about responsible parenthood in *Humanae Vitae.

"*Through this sense of responsibility for love and life, God the Creator invites the spouses not to be passive operators, but rather “cooperators or almost interpreters” of His plan (Gaudium et Spes, no.50). In fact, they are called out of respect for the objective moral order established by God, to an obligatory discernment of the indications of God’s will concerning their family. Thus in relationship to physical, economic, psychological and social conditions, responsible parenthood will be able to be expressed “either by the deliberate and generous decision to raise a large family, or by the decision, made for serious moral reasons and with due respect for the moral law, to avoid for the time being, or even for and indeterminate period, another birth” (Humanae Vitae, n. 10).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.