Have you heard of the term "mingles"?

I just heard tonight about this new term from single and married. It is mingled. It was in a newspaper in my country talking about a crisis in marriage and family life.
It is somebody who want to have boyfriend/ girlfriend but they don't want to live together. So they go through all the dating, spending time together, sex and everything but live separately. They call it living separate independent lives but having a boyfriend.

Honestly i think the world is going crazy. Have you ever heard of this before?

I think it’s also called “friends with benefits”.

Wait, how is that related to being married??? Living apart, having sex before marriage, does not qualify as anything remotely LIKE marriage!!!

I guess it’s not shacking up…Kind of like they are playing divorced before they ever got married?? Only the worst kind of divorce where the couple still has sex, really mess up the kids’ heads…

Dear Lord, have mercy on us!

:eek:

Another term i have seen is "Living Apart Together." (LAT) It refers to couples in a relationship, who choose to live separately.

Some people prefer to live independently, rather than sharing a household, while having a sexual partner.

The reason for this, I think, is that living together is a bigger adjustment than some people are willing to make. They want the honey, without living in the hive.

The underlying assumption is that any couple who is not married should be living together. :eek: Isn’t it bad enough that they are having sex?

[quote="Corki, post:5, topic:233328"]
The underlying assumption is that any couple who is not married should be living together. :eek: Isn't it bad enough that they are having sex?

[/quote]

Where in my post i made this assumption. The topic of the article was exactly the crisis in marriage and family life. That young people don't want responsibility anymore. They want this so called mingles relation, where they can have sex and dating but without any responsibility and any desire to form a family.

Living together without being married is a sin indeed.
How about having sex while wanting to live like strangers with absolutely no desire to form a family and with no responsibility involved. This is what the topic was about.

[quote="cristyd, post:6, topic:233328"]
Where in my post i made this assumption. The topic of the article was exactly the crisis in marriage and family life. That young people don't want responsibility anymore. They want this so called mingles relation, where they can have sex and dating but without any responsibility and any desire to form a family.

Living together without being married is a sin indeed.
How about having sex while wanting to live like strangers with absolutely no desire to form a family and with no responsibility involved. This is what the topic was about.

[/quote]

I thought things couldn't get any worse when it came to the family...I guess I was wrong. No reason to have children??? Nothing except sex whenever you are horny, and then not even sharing a home???

This is sad, very sad. Tragic, really.

:(

[quote="cristyd, post:6, topic:233328"]
Where in my post i made this assumption.

[/quote]

Where in my post did I attribute that assumtion to you?

You did not provide a link so I did some research of my own. The underlying assumption in many of the articles I found was that couples who are ready to move their relationship beyond "just dating" should be living together rather than being "mingles" or LAT couples.

[quote="Corki, post:8, topic:233328"]

You did not provide a link so I did some research of my own.

[/quote]

I can provide the link if you speak slovak.:D

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:233328"]
I just heard tonight about this new term from single and married. It is mingled. It was in a newspaper in my country talking about a crisis in marriage and family life.
It is somebody who want to have boyfriend/ girlfriend but they don't want to live together. So they go through all the dating, spending time together, sex and everything but live separately. They call it living separate independent lives but having a boyfriend.

[/quote]

I've never heard of the term "mingles", but yeah, I know too many people to count who are in a relationship in which they date, spend time together, have sex and everything but either live separately, or live together without getting married.

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:233328"]

[/quote]

In the US, its not uncommon among people who might be 50-70 years old, and who are either divorced or their spouse has died. They aren't interested in the commitments of marriage, but do like the idea of having a steady partner with whom they can share important parts of their life.

Obviously, the Catholic Church doesn't approve.

I have never heard the term mingle used with that meaning.

I know a man who has been "mingling" with a woman for 30 years. He claims the advantage is they see other because they want to see each other, not because they have to.

This gets the Havard seal of disapproval.

Explore Advice Dog

I am trying real hard to see how this differs from most dating…

I think the distinction is that this is the intended end-game, whereas dating still (sometimes) leads to marriage.

I heard the term around 15 years ago when a gay man asked a friend whether he ‘mingled’. Apparwntly it meant being willing to have casual sex with multiple partners.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:14, topic:233328"]
I am trying real hard to see how this differs from most dating....

[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe because I'm from a younger generation, but this is how most young people "date". I'm not one of them of course, but I know many people who do that. Its more uncommon to see those people living together while engaging in the same activities. Either way, its quite sad because it proves that humanity is losing its morals.

I’m dating a guy and we are discerning marriage. Of course, we’re the weirdos. 22 is apparently an infant, never mind that I’ve voted, paid for rent and groceries and financed a stint in Kenya. Never mind that it’ll be some time before we get married, IF we get married, to get on our feet and things like that.

I get couples who stay together for years but get married eventually, after finishing school, especially if they’ve been together since high school. I don’t get the ones who stay together for years and years but don’t get married because they “don’t like commitment.” But you’re still together? Huh?

[quote="sanctamaria17, post:18, topic:233328"]
I'm dating a guy and we are discerning marriage. Of course, we're the weirdos. 22 is apparently an infant, never mind that I've voted, paid for rent and groceries and financed a stint in Kenya. Never mind that it'll be some time before we get married, IF we get married, to get on our feet and things like that.

[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with a marrying at 22, if the individual is ready. Not everyone is ready at 22, but then, some people aren't ready at ages well later than that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.