Have you read Da Vinci Code?

If you had read the Da Vinci Code , Cna you please post here your reaction about Da Vinci Code.

[quote=raster]If you had read the Da Vinci Code , Cna you please post here your reaction about Da Vinci Code.
[/quote]

I have read it twice…I thought it was a great book of fiction!:smiley:
By the way you do know that there are threads on this topic already?!?!

Peace be with you!

I have only read a few pages, but the writing was so horrendous that I don’t think I’ll ever want to read the whole thing. As a writer myself, I am personally offended that this book made the bestseller list, let alone got published. That is just based on the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing. The content and claims it makes is another story.

In Christ,
Rand

DaVinci Code was one of the better books of fiction that I have ever read. Angels and Demons was far better though.

Notworthy

I am reading it now.

I read it recently. Was intrigued and interested at first, but the layers of symbolism got sooo thick and deep that I found it getting more and more ponderous and hard to believe. Overkill took away much of the original power and interest I had in the book.

By the end, I was way ready for it to be over.

Still, an interesting read.

cheddar

I read the first couple of chapters before I threw the book into the dumpster (literally and if I had a fireplace at the time I would of burned the book). The slander against the Church was blatent.

PF

i read angels and demons… and i’ll read the code, if it ever comes
out in paperback… lol
(( i’m assuming it hasn’t yet… but i haven’t checked in a while,
i figured they’d wait now till the movie comes out, then
issue the paperback… ))

and angels and demons was a pretty good story… but of course,
it is all fiction…

:slight_smile:

I’ve read it.

I thought it was an awful story.

Leaving aside the anti-Catholic / anti-Christian bias - the writing is weak, the plot thin, the characters are one dimensional.

My wife’s family however loved it! And they’re all Catholic!

Go figure.

Yup, I’ve read it. As a matter of fact, I read it before I began my return to the Church and looking back, I remember really questioning whether some of what Brown said was really true. While I knew that it was a work of fiction, the way he presented his allegations against the Church was so clever and done in such an interesting way that I found myself drawn into questioning my faith. I think that for those whose faith is not strong, who are looking for a reason to bash the Church, or for those who are easily led by others, this book can be dangerous and damaging. For others who can objectively and intelligently discern its contents, it’s simply a way to pass the time on a cold winters’ afternoon (preceeded and followed with prayer preferably!).

I borrowed a copy from the library and forced myself to read it. Not only was it badly written (the dialogue alone was painful enough), but the storyline was derivative and juvenile. As a slam-piece on the Church and a gross distortion of history and geography, I thought it accomplished it’s goal. It’s too bad most people these days learn history from TV and novels these days, otherwise this book (and the upcoming movie) would hardly merit a second thought.

For more info on this book, I recommend this site:

carl-olson.com/abouttdvc.html

Here’s my parody of “The Code”. Kind of let’s you know what I think, as a Catholic, of the content and, as a writer, of the style.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=50151&highlight=rupert

I read it and thought it was a good work of fiction. However, the idea of the Holy Grail being Mary Magdalene was a disappointing ending to say the least. I do understand the backlash at the anti-Catholic sentiment. I hope that the educated non-Catholics (myself included) were able to read it for what it was: fiction, regardless of the disclaimers the author made regarding the facts presented.

I read it. About the same time (a year or so ago), I heard a Catholic radio host ask rhetorically: *“Is it a good novel? I don’t know. But it’s bad history.” *Whether he’d not read it or if he just didn’t feel qualified to judge, I’m not sure, but it got me thinking about it’s novel-ness and I realized: It is not a good novel. It is a piece of pandering.

It has this tittlating, tabu subject matter. It divides some 450 pages among 100+ chapters – Short, instantaneous chapters that don’t require the reader to become engaged. And then there are the “codes” – puzzling little anagrams and riddles, leading to the great secret. With the possible exception of the first, which set the stage, I found none of them too challenging. Now, I love puzzles, so perhaps I am atypical, but as I “solved” each one long before the answer was unfolded in the story, I could certainly have taken the attitude “Well, I’m more clever by half than these protagonists – What a bright, intelligent boy I must be”. Nice ego boost.

What a load of tripe! Also: Is this typical of “feministic” literature?:

For a work about ‘recovering the sacred feminine’ the heroine is about the most gullible naif you could imagine. It’s a good thing she has two **men **to open her eyes. Throughout the book, her continuing enlightenment looks like this:
**He: **“I’m telling you an amazing secret ‘fact’ that runs counter to everything you’ve ever learned.”
**She: **“No, that can’t be.” [bites knuckle]
**He: **“It’s true I tell you.”
**She: **“Gosh! I believe you now!”
[repeat]

Oy vey!

For a final hilarious take on the badness of the book, read the entries about Brown in The Language Log. (start there, then search for “dan brown” in later entries) :stuck_out_tongue:

“Renowned forum poster and armchair literary critic :nerd:”,
tee

[quote=Anglican77] I hope that the educated non-Catholics (myself included) were able to read it for what it was: fiction, regardless of the disclaimers the author made regarding the facts presented.
[/quote]

If only that were the case. In fact, however, while he disclaimed the characters and events of the story, he did not discount the historical “facts” that his plot and storyline rested upon, the implication being, of course, that they are true – which they are not.

I’m afraid to say that I read it and gave it some credibility. Seemed plausible enough. I went so far as to question my wife’s beliefs using it a source. She then questioned my beliefs (cradle-bland-know-nothing-cafeteria-Catholic). This led me to look for answers on the CA site. This in turn led me to post here over 1500 times.

Was it tripe? Yeah, I’d say so. Was I still nervous at my first Opus Dei meeting, even knowing it was tripe? Yeah, but I’m over it now. Was it a good book? I’d say so; results may vary.

God Bless,
RyanL

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.