Have you seen the movie: The Scarlet Pimpernel?

i have to admit i rarely watch movies… never watch TV to speak of… but i found this movie @ the library, the Scarlet Pimpernel… about the French Revolution… It mixes truth w/ fiction… and i would prefer it was all truth… but in any case, at this point it is the best movie i’ve ever seen … For one thing: it would be SO cool if such a person as the SP really existed…

Just wondering if you have seen it… & what you think… Would appreicate any info you have about the French Revolution…

I started reading this one book about it but the book gets bogged down in too much detail… I’m not sure i want to spend THAT much time on the subject… kinda depressing…

Which version did you see–the 1935 or the 1982?
This has been one of my favorite stories since I was a kid. I watch the 1935 movie whenever it’s shown on TV, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the 1982 version. I also have the book.

Seen the WB version w/ Daffy Duck…The Scarlet Pumpernickel…very funny…:smiley:

i saw the 82 version… didn’t know there was an earlier one… would be interested in seeing that one…

I didn’t know, while watching, that it was fictional… but toward the end i figured it was - that it HAD to be… because the thought occurred to me:

Who would risk his own life like that… to save the lives of strangers?

This movie says a lot about how selfish we humans are…The answer to the question is: hardly anyone would…

One reason i liked the movie so much is because it shows how we humans SHOULD be… how Christ wants us to be… if we were only willing.

i can’t help but think of the opportunity Florida gov Jeb Bush had to save Terri Schiavo’s life (and be a hero along the lines of the Scarlet Pimpernel)… He was going to force his way into Terri’s hospice and take her… which he apparently had a legal right to do… but a death-minded judge :mad: threatened him, said that if Bush did, he would arrest him…:eek: It may have been an idle threat? Can you image a judge having a Governor arrested??? Hmmm…

Wouldn’t it have been wonderful if Bush had defied him anyway & gotten arrested? for one thing i doubt he’d have been incarcerated long…

I don’t know that i would have made the choice any better than he did… dont’ know all the facts involved (only God does) but still… I’d kinda like to think that i would… i mean … What is being inconveniently detained temporarily compared to a person’s life?.

sorry to be a stick in the mud… or whatever but i don’t see what’s funny about the French “Revolution” (Devolution)… Whoever made this version, i feel, is sick…

-The Scarlet Pimpernel is a classic play and adventure novel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy, set during the Reign of Terror following the start of the French Revolution. The story is a precursor to the “disguised superhero” tales such as Zorro, Superman and Batman. The novel was published soon after the play’s opening and was an immediate success. Orczy gained a following of readers in Britain and throughout the world. The popularity of the novel encouraged her to write a number of sequels for her “reckless daredevil” over the next 35 years. The play was performed to great acclaim in France, Italy, Germany and Spain, while the novel was translated into 16 languages. Subsequently, the story has been adapted for television, film, a musical and other media.
The international success of The Scarlet Pimpernel allowed Orczy and her husband to live out their lives in luxury. Over the years, they lived on an estate in Kent, a bustling London home and an opulent villa in Monte Carlo. Orczy wrote in her autobiography, Links in the Chain of Life: I have so often been asked the question: “But how did you come to think of The Scarlet Pimpernel?” And my answer has always been: “It was God’s will that I should.” And to you moderns, who perhaps do not believe as I do, I will say, “In the chain of my life, there were so many links, all of which tended towards bringing me to the fulfillment of my destiny”.

Okay…
The French Revolution - not a funny event
The Scarlet Pimpernel - a novel (note it’s fiction and made the author tons of money) should also be considered “sick” since it lampoons the French Revolution - again, not a funny event (maybe she should pay compensation from the money she made on the novel to victims of the revolution)?
The Scarlet Pumpernickel - a cartoon by Warner Brothers based on the book (fiction), not the French Revolution - again, not a funny event

It was on Turner Clasic Movie just today. Always like watching it.

i don’t see it lampooning anything except human nature… because in human nature, no one is inclined, as the SP was, to risk his/her life for anyone else… except maybe some one one loves intimately… don’t know where you get that term … to describe this movie…

not a funny event (maybe she should pay compensation from the money she made on the novel to victims of the revolution)?

maybe so… if she lived her life in luxury, as you say, that would seem to make her a hypocrite… but i don’t know anything about her so… Who knows? and you don’t know her as well as God does…

The Scarlet Pumpernickel - a cartoon by Warner Brothers based on the book (fiction), not the French Revolution - again, not a funny event

this last thing makes no sense… if the fiction was based on the Fr Rev… than… any cartoon based on it IS making it out to be some kind of funny thing that… wasn’t funny… & as stated, is twisted…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.