Have you started cooking yet?

Usually when I make the whole Thanksgiving meal myself I start a couple of days in advance. Just wondering if anyone else does that and what their strategies are.

We are eating our Thanksgiving dinner a day early, so today, since my ex is taking the kids to the Grand Canyon tomorrow. For the first year ever, I am doing it all in one day, although I am going to skip a couple of things I normally make that aren't the kids' favorites.

Right now I made the dough for yeast rolls and they are in the refrigerator doing the slow rise. I am about to make the cornbread for the dressing, which I really should have done yesterday.

I'm not making pies this year, which reduces my workload considerably. I bought a pecan pie at the request of my daughter and vanilla ice cream and chocolate macadamia nut cookies at the request of my sons. Not having to roll out dough cuts down the day's work, and it is all seeming doable and not like a race.

*Not yet. :o Going to bake tonight. I'm working today, I could have taken it off, but I'm saving the remaining vacation days I have left for Christmas. Rumor has it we will be closing early...so that will be a nice headstart! Hubby's day off falls today, and he is going grocery shopping for EVERYTHING today ...with the kids. He'll get a taste of what I go through...lol But, they are helpful, just costly. :blush: He is good at telling them 'no,' for the items they drop into the cart...and doesn't think twice about it! :shrug:

I'm debating whether to go to mass tomorrow morning, I'd like to, but we usually get up early and start cooking on Thanksgiving, so we'll have to see.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, dulcissima! :wave:*

I'm not cooking a whole dinner (not even close), but I'm still cooking up a storm today to bring my contributions to two different family dinners (and feed DH and myself in the mean time!).

Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookie dough for the big chewy cookies we are giving to family for November birthdays.

Today I'm making two pies (pumpkin and a chilled chocolate-peanut butter pie) for my mom's Thanksgiving, and a sweet potato casserole for DH's extended family.

For dinner DH and I are having chili and cornbread.

After dinner I'll bake the cookies...I'm sure they will need to be sampled! :thumbsup:

Doesn't compare to a whole meal, but I am only 23 with limited experience cooking for large groups! Good luck to all of you brave women in charge of entertaining for a crowd today and tomorrow!

My only role is cooking the turkeys - so I'll prep them tonight (injection, since I'm frying them). Since we're traveling about 1.5 hours, I'll have to get up early and get them going, which I'm not looking forward to.

I've only gone to Mass on Thanksgiving once. A priest once told me it was his favorite Mass of the year because everyone who is there is there because they want to be there. I'll have to check with Peter and see what time his parish is having it. Maybe I can get there in time...

I'll bet the grocery store will be extra packed for your husband and kids. Hope they get everything you need, and hope you have a great holiday together, whatevergirl. What did you end up deciding on for your menu?

[quote="msugeotech, post:4, topic:177501"]
My only role is cooking the turkeys - so I'll prep them tonight (injection, since I'm frying them). Since we're traveling about 1.5 hours, I'll have to get up early and get them going, which I'm not looking forward to.

[/quote]

How long does a turkey take to fry?

The turkey's already been thawing out in the fridge. My mom is baking some stuff today (my uncle doesn't like turkey, so he eats a nice, big juicy steak). Mostly, it's the last minute groceries that have just been bought - turkey gravy, vegetables, and so on. My aunt is coming over in 10 minutes to bring over some table decorations, and the table will be set by tonight.

[quote="dulcissima, post:5, topic:177501"]
I've only gone to Mass on Thanksgiving once. A priest once told me it was his favorite Mass of the year because everyone who is there is there because they want to be there. I'll have to check with Peter and see what time his parish is having it. Maybe I can get there in time...

*It's at 9am at our parish. My dd actually wants to go, so maybe she and I will make it, and then when we get back, then I can resume cooking. I love the smells and so forth of dinner early in the morning, don't you? :o Oh, our parish is actually having a blessing of the bread at tomorrow's mass, and the gist is that you bring a baked item, bread is what they suggest, and they take your bread, bless it, and give you someone else's bread for your table! I thought whatta neat idea. *

I'll bet the grocery store will be extra packed for your husband and kids. Hope they get everything you need, and hope you have a great holiday together. What did you end up deciding on for your menu?

[/quote]

*I know! :o I always do the grocery shopping every week, but my husband insisted on doing it for Thanksgiving. Probably because he doesn't like how the kids throw things into the cart, and I let them. He wants to stay on budget this year. It's always been an ongoing battle. I told him, you'll see that it's not so easy! He'll see. :D I am sure our daughter, the lil reporter will tell me everything when I arrive home from work today. :rolleyes::p I am looking forward to a nice few days off though...are you taking any extra time, do you and your bf have Friday off, too? Do you do the early shopping thing on Friday mornings? (We don't...last year sounded crazy busy with how people were literally trampling over each other to get to the sales) Yikes! *

Usually about 3.5 to 4 minutes per pound. An average size turkey (12-14 lbs.) will take about 45 minutes. You have to get the oil up to about 350 degrees before dropping it in, then the oil will cool off some, so you have to bring it back up to 350 and maintain it. It’s not difficult at all, just time consuming.

[quote="msugeotech, post:9, topic:177501"]
Usually about 3.5 to 4 minutes per pound. An average size turkey (12-14 lbs.) will take about 45 minutes. You have to get the oil up to about 350 degrees before dropping it in, then the oil will cool off some, so you have to bring it back up to 350 and maintain it. It's not difficult at all, just time consuming.

[/quote]

*Wow, that's so quick!! :eek: *

And so yummy!:D

[quote="whatevergirl, post:10, topic:177501"]
*Wow, that's so quick!! :eek: *

[/quote]

I’ve never had fried turkey, so I will have to take your word for it. Just don’t fry your turkeys on a wooden deck. I saw a scary movie of what happens when you do that!

This year we are having smoked turkey which my cousin in Texas sent. It is supposed to only take 1 1/2 hours in the oven.

That sounds good too. Don’t worry - I fry them in the driveway on the concrete. I’ve also seen a video of someone dropping one in when it’s still frozen - another no-no.

Made my pies yesterday, and cinnamon rolls too, for breakfast tomorrow. I'm about to start on the cranberry sauce, which I should have done yesterday. Oh well....still need to clean my house too! :eek:

I’m afraid his might be at 9am too, in which case it’s doubtful I could make it. He goes to daily mass, which I know is at 8am and moves to 9am on most holidays.

I am off this whole week. Thursday and Fridays are holidays and the other 3 days have been furlough days. The whole campus is closed. It is feeling weird because it has been forever since I have had a whole week off. I am glad that the campus is closed though, because that means I don’t have stuff piling up on my desk waiting for me.

Not going black Friday shopping because I am out of $$. So, I guess I have no reason to go and face the crowds. I already bought the one must have toy that my sons wanted, which is good because it is looking like it will be hard to come by.

[quote="dulcissima, post:15, topic:177501"]
Not going black Friday shopping because I am out of $$. So, I guess I have no reason to go and face the crowds. I already bought the one must have toy that my sons wanted, which is good because it is looking like it will be hard to come by.

[/quote]

I've only done black Friday once, 4 years ago, and never again - what a nightmare. Bought a new PC for the house since ours fried via electrical surge when Katrina hit. Sad thing is, we hardly use it.

[quote="dulcissima, post:15, topic:177501"]
I'm afraid his might be at 9am too, in which case it's doubtful I could make it. He goes to daily mass, which I know is at 8am and moves to 9am on most holidays.

I am off this whole week. Thursday and Fridays are holidays and the other 3 days have been furlough days. The whole campus is closed. It is feeling weird because it has been forever since I have had a whole week off. I am glad that the campus is closed though, because that means I don't have stuff piling up on my desk waiting for me.

[/quote]

*Oh, what toy did they want? I avoid Black Friday like the plague...I don't think I have ever done that...I just don't see the appeal. lol We plan to go see A Christmas Carol...the new Disney version that's out...at the movies on Friday. It will be a madhouse there too I'm sure, but we love to go to the movies the day after Turkey Day. Should be fun.

Just talked to dh...and he is bright spirits to hit the grocery store...and dd is coming, ds isn't. Should be funny. She said to me on the phone...I am going to make sure daddy buys all the right stuff mommy, don't worry. :D

HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE. :grouphug: *

I did a pie crust, cookies and a gingerbread cake yesterday (we have a birthday combined with Thxgiving), and I baked off the sweet potatoes.

So far today I’ve done the mashed potatoes, made the stuffing, cranberry sauce, dough for rosemary rolls, some frosting for the cake (orange cream cheese yum) and herbed cream cheese to go on my appetizers which I’ll put together tomorrow, and the compound butter for the turkey is made. I’ll bake off the pie tonight and finish the sweet potatoes.

Tomorrow I’ll put the turkey in around 9, do Brussels sprouts and corn while it’s cooking. When the turkey is done around 2ish I’ll heat everything else through in the oven (stuffing, mashed and sweet pot) . I’ll frost the cake, and plate appetizers and heat up the mulled cider last thing. Making gravy comes last of course, just before we eat.

Wow, shanny, are you cooking for a crowd or just your immediate family? Sounds totally delicious. How are you dong your brussels sprouts? I've only just discovered how great those can be.

[quote="msugeotech, post:16, topic:177501"]
I've only done black Friday once, 4 years ago, and never again - what a nightmare. Bought a new PC for the house since ours fried via electrical surge when Katrina hit. Sad thing is, we hardly use it.

[/quote]

Sounds like a good reason to brave it. I've done Black Friday in the past, but it's been years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.