Having a mass offered

This may sound like a dumb question but i am in the process of converting so please forgive me for not understanding how things " work"
anyway my 21 birthday is July 19 and i was wondering if i could email the parrish and ask for a mass to be offered sunday July 22. If i did this now or next week would that give them enough time for me to get on the schedule for my preferred mass time ? I understand i will have to pay a mass stipend and this is not a problem its just wondering if i have enough time and as a non catholic if they could say a mass for me …
Thanks and God Bless you all.
Taylor McBee

Yes, a Mass intention can be said for a non-Catholic.

Regarding whether or not you could have a mass on July 22, we really cannot answer that. In some parishes, the intentions are booked well in advance. In others, they are not.

1ke’s right. Call the parish office in the AM and ask! Good luck and welcome into the Church! :slight_smile:

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:288644"]
This may sound like a dumb question but i am in the process of converting so please forgive me for not understanding how things " work"
anyway my 21 birthday is July 19 and i was wondering if i could email the parrish and ask for a mass to be offered sunday July 22. If i did this now or next week would that give them enough time for me to get on the schedule for my preferred mass time ? I understand i will have to pay a mass stipend and this is not a problem its just wondering if i have enough time and as a non catholic if they could say a mass for me ...
Thanks and God Bless you all.
Taylor McBee

[/quote]

The answers above are right that this completely depends on the parish and their scheduling. I wanted to point out, though, that you do not "have to pay a mass stipend." It would certainly be rude to withhold a stipend if it is within your financial means to give one, because this is one of the few ways in which priests support themselves. Nevertheless, every stipend of this sort is in reality purely a freewill offering: they are not mandatory, and it is forbidden for priests to refuse to say a Mass for someone's intentions because they are not able to make the customary offering. This also goes for baptisms, weddings, and the like.

Even if you can’t have the Mass offered till later, God will take your intention into account – both when you ask to have the Mass said, and when it’s actually said. So whether you get the Mass said right away on your preferred date, or not, you are totally covered.

But yeah, the sooner you get your request in, the better.

Our Mass intentions get filled up rather quickly. For instance you cannot get a Sunday mass in our parish this year, nor a 9AM weekday Mass. All we have are a few 7AM weekday masses open for this year and a few shared masses. Our 2013 book is filling up. I guess it all depends on the size of your parish.

Our parish is usually booked fairly solidly for the next three months or so. They won't book more than 12 months in advance. I don't know if there is a general rule, but suspect that many parishes have similar policies.

Thanks everyone the date i wanted was full so they offered me a date of July 31 which is a tuesday and i accepted it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.