Having a Mass said for someone or something

How is it done? I realized today that I’d quite like to have Masses said for various people in my life, living and deceased but I’ve no idea about the protocol around it. Donations, yes? How much is reasonable? Are there restrictions on who you can have a Mass for?

All answers appreciated.

Call your parish office if you wish to have a Mass said at your parish. The Diocese sets a recommended offering, here it is $10. They will give you a greeting-type card to mail to the person or their family.

Easy peasy.

Many missions also take Mass intentions.

You would have to call your Parish office and ask them the questions. Even better if at all possible that you could go in person and do it.

@JoyToTheWhirled

Nice idea, there is also a Gregorian Mass

What are Gregorian Masses?
Gregorian Masses are a series of Holy Masses traditionally offered on 30 consecutive days as soon as possible after a person’s death. They are offered for an individual soul.

The custom of offering Gregorian Masses for a particular soul recognizes that few people are immediately ready for heaven after death, and that, through the infinite intercessory power of Christ’s sacrifice, made present in Holy Mass, a soul can be continually perfected in grace and enabled to enter finally into the union with the Most Holy Trinity – our God, Who is Love Itself.

We will send you or the person you designate a certificate announcing the Gregorian Masses.
History of Gregorian Masses
Gregorian Masses take their name from Saint Gregory the Great, who was sovereign Pontiff from 590 to 604. St. Gregory the Great contributed to the spread of the pious practice of having these Masses celebrated for the deliverance of the souls from purgatory. In his Dialogues, he tells us that he had Masses on thirty consecutive days offered for the repose of the soul of Justus, a monk who had died in the convent of St. Andrew in Rome. At the end of the thirtieth Mass, the deceased appeared to one of his fellow monks and announced that he had been delivered from the flames of Purgatory.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur267.htm

https://catholicexchange.com/let-us-help-souls-purgatory

2 Maccabees 12:43 He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honorably, taking account of the resurrection. 44 For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. 45 But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, so that they might be delivered from their sin.

Job 1:1-5 There was once a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. 2 There were born to him seven sons and three daughters. 3 He had seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen, five hundred donkeys, and very many servants; so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the east. 4 His sons used to go and hold feasts in one another’s houses in turn; and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 And when the feast days had run their course, Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, “It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” This is what Job always did.

If your parish is not helpful, or their book is full, then simply google “Request a Mass online” and you can choose from Cnewa.org and dozens of monastic orders and shrines, all ready and willing to take your Mass intentions via the Internet. That’s what I normally do. Many of them also have options for enrolling someone in a series of Masses, or getting Gregorian Masses for a particular deceased soul.

I try to pick a place to say the Mass that relates somehow to the person. Like if their name is Anthony, maybe I ask St. Anthony’s Shrine to say the Mass.

Enlightening. I learned something new and useful today.

It’s most straightforward to go to your personal parish and ask the secretary how to go about it. But it’s also one way you can support the Missions, or you can request Masses to be said at a particular church or shrine.

For example-- you can support the Franciscan Missions or the Seraphic Mass Association, request a Mass at the St. Jude Shrine or the Guadalupe Shrine; you can do a Spiritual Enrollment at the Basilica Shrine of the Immaculate Conception or the Vatican.

Be aware that there’s a good chance that once you contact one organization, though, you’ll start getting solicitations from other places/entities as well. So if you’d like to stay off their radar, be local— but if you’d like a free lifetime supply of address labels, pick three or four or five places to support. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also if it is Mass at a Parish that you want said on a particular day (like the anniversary of a person’s death or any other special day) I will just say that you have to do this probably months ahead. At our Parish those are the first ones that get requested when they start accepting Masses for the next year. People will come in with a list of days and names and they get so upset if certain days have already been taken. When we could we called the person who was already on the books and asked if it mattered if their date was switched or not. Some said it was ok to switch their dates and some asked that their dates be left as it was. Usually I send mine in the mail for multiple Masses with a DETAILED list of who and what the Masses I want said for, tell them whatever particular dates if I have any, put my phone # to call if there is a problem and enclose payment. It’s worked out well.

I have PERPETUAL Masses said for people I know personally and people I only know by name at the Francis Xavier Seelos Shrine in New Orleans. Those are $25.00 but they are for as long as the person is in need of Masses being said for them. I have a long list and I try to have Masses said for 1-2 people on the list each month.

seelos.org/Seelos_Mass_League.pdf

Instead of sending flowers when someone dies I also do Priests of the Sacred Heard/Sacred Heart Monastery Mass enrollments. I get the enrollment folders/cards in the mail (VERY NICE) and keep some on hand so when a person dies I have it all ready to send to the family and also to enroll that deceased person.

And the Sacred Heart Southern Missions
www.shsm.org/

Thanks everyone! I know the parish secretary quite well, so I will drop in and discuss it at some point - it’s just one of those things that I guess you probably learn as you grow up in a Catholic environment, but hasn’t ever been explained to me, and sometimes you feel a bit daft asking.

Thanks also for all the links - knowing I can arrange for Masses to be said that way and support, missions in the process is a really good thing to learn!

ALSO HAVE A MASS SAID for yourself and the living members of your family and friends. We can do this for our souls and it does so much.

And I have enrollments done at the Passionist Monastery where our niece is a Sister. She and some of the other sisters hand draw and color in/paint BEAUTIFUL enrollment certificates. I’ve gotten them done for hubby’s retirement, for an upcoming wedding in our family. They are beautiful.

@JoyToTheWhirled . I wouldn’t “have a Mass said for someone or something”.

I would go to Mass myself and celebrate the Mass for someone or something .

As prayed in the 1st Eucharistic Prayer - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, Lord, your servants N. and N.
and all gathered here,
whose faith and devotion are known to you.
For them, we offer you this sacrifice of praise
or they offer it for themselves
and all who are dear to them:
for the redemption of their souls,
in hope of health and well-being.”

It’s good to do BOTH things.
Having the priest specifically offer the Mass for the person or intention is one form of prayer.
Offering your own Holy Communion and prayers, either at that Mass, or at a different Mass that the priest might be saying for some other person or intention is a different form of prayer.
Both good, but not the same.

Do you not “have Masses said” for your deceased loved ones especially? It is normal to do so…

There is the Funeral Mass for deceased loved ones , other than that I attend a Mass and offer it for a particular person .

I can give a Mass card to someone which says that i will/have attended Mass for - - - - - - - ’

Again , as it says in the 1st Eucharistic Prayer - - - - - - -

"“Remember, Lord, your servants N. and N.
and all gathered here,
whose faith and devotion are known to you.
For them, we offer you this sacrifice of praise
or they offer it for themselves
and all who are dear to them:

It is not two forms of prayer . It is the same sacrifice being offered , be it by the priest or by others also present at the Mass .

I’m sorry, but we differ here. Having a Mass said for a deceased person is what one normally does. The Mass is said by the priest specifically for them.

Unless you are a priest, it’s not the same for you to just go to a Mass and pray for the person.
It’s still a great thing to do, but it is not quite as great as the priest offering Mass for the person.if it was the same to go to Mass for them as to have one said, then Gregorian Masses for example would make no sense because I could just go to Mass myself for a person for 30 days and not give a large donation to a priest to say a Mass for that person for 30 days.

EWTN has actually addressed this very issue:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur70.htm

Yes , @Tis_Bearself , we will have to differ .

Going to Mass to offer it for a deceased person is what I do .

I prefer the doctrine as it is expressed in the traditional Liturgy (see my quote from the 1st Eucharistic Prayer) than that expressed by an EWTN website which only uses the words it is “usually considered” . I for one do not usually consider it .

It is the same Mass being offered by both priest and people .

"For them, we offer you this sacrifice of praise
OR THEY OFFER IT FOR THEMSELVES
AND ALL WHO ARE DEAR TO THEM .

It couldn’t be clearer than that .

When I have asked priests about this , whether there is any difference between my asking them to offer a Mass for someone or something and my going to Mass to offer that Mass myself for that intention , they have always said that there is no difference .

As one priest has said regarding celebrating a Mass for a particular intention , “The simplest method is the most obvious: go to Mass! Carry the intention in your heart as you journey to the church. Silently offer up that intention.”

I am not saying that what you do is wrong , though we disagree on the fruitfulness of the offerings .

But it is a practise I would like to see fade away .

If through illness I became housebound and unable to attend Mass , then I would see it as appropriate to ask a priest to celebrate Mass for my intention .

@JoyToTheWhirled

99.9% of Catholics Do Not Know These Facts about the Mass
Posted April 2, 2014

There are two blocks of fascinating information that very, very few Catholics are aware of. The first is some seldom explained theological information regarding the benefits of Masses offered for deceased persons. The second block of information includes some rarely explained benefits that the living can obtain for themselves by devout attendance at Mass.

As you read this, don’t be surprised to find yourself surprised…

But first—not too surprising is the fact that through the centuries there have been literally thousands of earthly apparitions of souls in purgatory; their most common and urgent plea is for prayer for them, but especially to arrange to have Masses offered for them to diminish the duration and intensity of their suffering—which is an extremely intense but frustrated mystical love-hunger for the vision of God—an incandescent love-hunger ignited at the moment of death and described biblically in the Song of Songs, 8:6. This consoling appraisal of Mass for the dead is supported, not just by private revelations, but also by sacred tradition, by pristine Church teaching, and is alluded to, even in ancient catacomb inscriptions.

Any prayer, but especially the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, when offered for any or all souls in purgatory, is appreciated far, far more than a starving person appreciates a banquet of delicious food. It exceeds our imagining!

But here’s the rub: In spite of countless private revelations to visionaries, and even many apparitions of souls in purgatory about the value of Masses for the dead—supported by centuries of Church teaching—some further revelations and Church teachings are even more significant—namely, Masses offered for still-living persons (including yourself) are more beneficial than Masses offered for deceased persons.

Masses for the dead will provide for them a God-assigned “indulgence” (a curtailing of the duration and/ or intensity of purgatorial suffering). But if Mass is offered as intercession for persons while still alive and in the state of grace—i.e., no unrepented serious sin (1 John 5:16), these living persons receive three added benefits not available to the dead, namely:

1. Increase of merit (assigned heavenly joy and glory) forever—CCC 2010).

2. Added sanctifying grace (a deeper sharing in the life of God—2 Pet. 1:4).

3. Actual graces (conscience-nudges to do good and avoid evil—CCC 2000),

Read on …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.