Having a Mass said for someone or something

Sorry, but the teaching I received was along the lines of the EWTN article, of which you are being quite overly dismissive IMHO.

I go to Mass almost every day, so I can certainly offer intentions there, but if I can also have a Mass said for a specific person, they are getting an additional benefit, as they are remembered at both the Mass I am at and the Mass that I usually cannot be at because it is in Asia or something.

Perpetual Mass enrollments provide prayers for a person for years, which may include after I am deceased.

I think the priests told you what they did because this idea of “having a Mass said” for someone is a delicate one.
First, they don’t want to give the idea that Masses are bought and sold. We’ve been over this on the forums many times.

Second, they want to be sensitive to the needs of people who do not have the money to pay for a Mass. Otherwise it appears that the people who do have money to pay for a Mass, or for many Masses, have some spiritual advantage.

Third, given the priest shortage in a lot of Western countries, it can be very hard for a person to reserve a Mass at the particular parish because there aren’t enough Masses to go around. Not everyone is aware of or comfortable with the practice of sending a donation to a distant monastery or to the missions far away, and having a Mass said in that manner.

For all these reasons, the priests do not push the idea of “paying for a Mass”, but among those of us who are in a financial position to donate to the Church anyway, I just see it as me making a donation that I should be making anyway, so why not get the benefit of the Mass for someone as well, if it is available. I made a donation to a church a few months ago because they were kind enough to send a deacon out to pray at my late husband’s memorial service. I just made it as a gift without asking for anything, and the deacon without asking me scheduled five Masses for my husband. Many churches and orders are happy to take these donations and happy to say the Masses.

And there are still priests in some parts of the world who rely heavily on the daily Mass stipends for their actual upkeep and living expenses. So if everyone stopped having Masses said, these priests might have difficulty supporting themselves.

So, I will be continuing with my practice of having Masses said for people as well as offering the intention myself at the Mass I personally attend, which may be in some other part of the country.

It is fine if you do not wish to do this practice, but I hope others will not be discouraged from it just because you apparently think it’s unnecessary.

Tbh, I probably wouldn’t be a Catholic if I was someone who thought the extra bits and pieces weren’t really necessary!:rofl:

I am totally cool with daily mass and personal mass intentions, and also arranging for someone to say some masses for my loved ones and being generous in support in the process. I mean, to use an obvious example, I can speak directly to God myself, but that won’t stop me also asking for prayers from all the angels and saints too.

To me, it is the modern-day equivalent of the Jewish people in the OT taking their animal or cereal sacrifice to the Temple, where the priest would take care of the ritual and offering it to God. In the case of many of these sacrifices, the priest and his family were permitted to keep some part of the sacrifice to eat, so you were essentially giving something of your own to support the priests in their full-time work while at the same time honoring God.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Eucharist/roman-mass3.htm

THE VALUE OF THE MASS

At the hour of death the Holy Masses you have heard devoutly will be your greatest consolation.
Every Mass will go with you to Judgment and will plead pardon for you.
By every Mass you can diminish the temporal punishment due to your sins, more or less, according to your fervor.
By devoutly assisting at Holy Mass you render the greatest homage possible to the Sacred Humanity of Our Lord.
Through the Holy Sacrifice, Our Lord Jesus Christ supplies for many of your negligences and omissions.
He forgives you all the venial sins which you are determined to avoid. He forgives you all your unknown sins which you never confessed. The Power of Satan over you is diminished.
By piously hearing Holy Mass you afford the Souls in Purgatory the greatest possible relief.
One Holy Mass heard during your life will be of more benefit to you than many heard for you after your death.
Through the Holy Mass you are preserved from many dangers and misfortunes which would otherwise have befallen you. You shorten your Purgatory by every Mass.
During Holy Mass you kneel amid a multitude of holy Angels, who are present at the Adorable Sacrifice with reverential awe.
Through Holy Mass you are blessed in your temporal goods and affairs.
When you hear Holy Mass devoutly, offering it to Almighty God in honor of any particular Saint or Angel thanking God for the favors bestowed on him, you afford that Saint or Angel a new degree of honor, joy and happiness, and draw his special love and protection for yourself.
Every time you assist at Holy Mass, besides other intentions, you should offer it in honor of the Saint of the day.

They didn’t , @Tis_Bearself .

They told me what they told me as an answer to the question I asked .

The monetary aspect of the issue was in no way part of our conversation .

And the question I asked was as a result of my many years of thinking about the matter .

It is not a view I have just adopted because of this thread . My view goes back about 40 years .

But as we have said , we will have to agree to differ .

I have to say, I have been a Catholic for decades and this is the first and only time I have ever heard anyone express the views you did on having a Mass said unless it was a case of someone not having the money.
Much less say that a priest told them that.

It seriously makes me wonder about the priests who told you that. I know there has been some odd catechesis out there, but that seems very strange. Unfortunately I don’t think we have any priests around the forum lately to ask, but I do recall that one of our recent forum priests, when a topic came up of someone wanting to have a Mass said, responded with “I will say a Mass for your intention” (without asking for a donation), not with “You don’t need me to say a Mass, just go to one yourself and offer your intention.”

I will leave it at that.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.