Having a mass said for the dead?

Is having a mass said for someone who is deceased in anyway helpful to the soul if its in purgatory? Thanks and God bless! :)

Yes! 100%! The goals of prayer for the dead, to my understanding, are the repose of souls in Purgatory, and the mercy of God on souls who were in danger of damnation. Having a Mass said for a deceased person's soul will greatly help to reduce his/her suffering in Purgatory. A poor soul (in Purgatory) once told a privileged soul, "Next to the Mass, the Way of the Cross is the most efficacious way of releasing a soul from Purgatory."

[quote="His_helpmeet, post:2, topic:336509"]
Yes! 100%! The goals of prayer for the dead, to my understanding, are the repose of souls in Purgatory, and the mercy of God on souls who were in danger of damnation. Having a Mass said for a deceased person's soul will greatly help to reduce his/her suffering in Purgatory. A poor soul (in Purgatory) once told a privileged soul, "Next to the Mass, the Way of the Cross is the most efficacious way of releasing a soul from Purgatory."

[/quote]

I didn't know that the Way of the Cross was an efficacious was to release a soul from purgatory. Thanks for telling me that! Thank you so much for answering my question! I was wonder because today I requested a mass be said for one of my dearest friends, who is now deceased. God bless you ! :D

[quote="polishprincess, post:1, topic:336509"]
Is having a mass said for someone who is deceased in anyway helpful to the soul if its in purgatory? Thanks and God bless! :)

[/quote]

Here is a little reading you might find interesting about the souls in purgatory

mysticsofthechurch.com/2012/04/amazing-stories-from-purgatory-and.html?m=1

The rosary is also especially helpful for helping the souls in purgatory, as is the chaplet of Divine Mercy. Meditating on scripture also can gain indulgences.

polishprincess THIS IS FOR YOU IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL AND VERY INTERESTING

michaeljournal.org/simma.htm

[quote="polishprincess, post:1, topic:336509"]

[/quote]

Here is a little reading you might find interesting about the souls in purgatory

[quote="powerofk, post:5, topic:336509"]
The rosary is also especially helpful for helping the souls in purgatory, as is the chaplet of Divine Mercy. Meditating on scripture also can gain indulgences.

[/quote]

I didn't know that! Thank you and God bless! :D

[quote="jesus4ever, post:6, topic:336509"]
polishprincess THIS IS FOR YOU IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL AND VERY INTERESTING

michaeljournal.org/simma.htm

[/quote]

This is a very interesting article! :) Thank you so much ! God bless you! :D

[quote="MJCamp, post:4, topic:336509"]

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.