Having a Rosary blessed

I just got my first Rosary, and a matching Chaplet (for my pocket, so I always have it with me). I have read about people having them blessed.

What is the process for that, who does it, and what is the purpose of the blessing?

Thanks.

Go up to a priest or a deacon at an appropriate time (not when they are ready to process in for Mass, for example) and say, "Father (or Deacon), will you bless my Rosary?" They'll make the sign of the cross over the Rosary, say an appropriate blessing (either a known one or improvised), and the Rosary will be blessed! Maybe they'll take you over to a holy water font and use some holy water as well, if they have time and think about it. All the same, the Rosary is blessed. It is now, if you will, particularly "dedicated" to God and the efficacy of your prayers utilizing it. A very nice thing to do; we need all the blessings surrounding us we can get.

The Enchiridion Of Indulgences

1. Use of Articles of Devotion (Obiectorum pietatis usus) The faithful, who devoutly use an article of devotion (crucifix or cross, rosary. scapular or medal) properly blessed by any priest, 3 obtain a partial indulgence.

3 In order to bless an article or devotion properly the priest uses the prescribed fromula, if there is any; otherwise, he makes a simple sign of the cross toward the article of devotion, laudably adding the words: "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spriti".
In practice, a formula is to be used in the public blessing of scapulars, while a sign of the cross suffices for other cases.

Peace

The purpose of the blessing is to consecrate an object to God. The object, then, is called sacramental. Also, a blessing drives away the influence of the devil from an object - which is why often Holy Water is employed as well. Sacramentals, then, “return the favor” to the faithful that uses them devoutly, because God is well pleased in granting through them graces and in driving away the influence of the adversary.

Thank you everyone.

[quote="AV1, post:1, topic:313188"]
I just got my first Rosary, and a matching Chaplet (for my pocket, so I always have it with me). I have read about people having them blessed.

What is the process for that, who does it, and what is the purpose of the blessing?

Thanks.

[/quote]

When you use a blessed object, you receive the blessing attached to that object.

[quote="AV1, post:1, topic:313188"]

Thanks.

[/quote]

Something to ponder is that God many times has worked from and through inanimate objects to provide graces, in case you or someone accuses you of idolatry you might point them to the passage in the OT when the Israelites where camped in the desert and they were afflicted by venomous snakes. God commanded Moises to make or fashion a snake statue in bronze and place it in a visible place and if anyone was bitten (s)he would go up to it and the poison would be rendered harmless.
Here we see God flowing His grace through an inanimate object. (they ended up having to destroy it, because people lost sight of it's original purpose)

So sacramentals are not "magic" however they do provide grace that is flowing from Him.
And objects become sacramentals when a validly and properly appointed representative of Christ does issue or rather invokes God to sanctify it.

I was extremely fortunate this January to be able to visit the Vatican, where I decided to get 2 rosaries and have them blessed (a gift I want to make).
An extra bonus is that the priest that blessed them (he also used Holy water) had also first heard my confession, then to top it all up there was a mass said in Latin.
Must say that I felt better than winning the lotto that day! :D

God bless!! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.