Having anxiety attacks - please help

I am in the middle of an anxiety attack right now as I type. Part of it is fear of hell, death, the end of the world etc. I have been reading the end times thread and didn’t realize it would effect me so hard. I am so scared of the end of the world and my loved ones not going to heaven, including myself. The scripture passage “it is more likely for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven” comes to mind. I am not exactly rich, but it makes me feel like no one can enter heaven. A camel going through the eye of a needle seems like an incredible and impossible thing. So it makes me feel doomed and this is what stemmed my anxiety attack. I have an apptment to talk to a priest but not for a while. I am pregnant and I think part of it is my hormone levels but I am genuinely scared of hell and death :frowning:

I may be Corrected, but I think eye of the Needle was a Gateway ,
Not really about a Needle ,
When you feel the way you do, just open the Bible at a Random page , and have a read,
I often found comfort in doing that,
Good luck, you are not alone…

I’m so sorry to hear of your anxiety. I’ve felt it myself before and know how very real and devastating it can be.:console: (and yes, pregnancy and hormones can make you crazy!)

One thing that has helped me to better understand and cope with my fears, is something a priest explained when I was on a retreat.

That being Jesus words that to whom much is given, much will be expected. (paraphrased from Luke 12:48)

He said that we will probably be very surprised when we see who is in Heaven. Some folks that you wouldn’t expect at all will be welcomed with a “Come on in…we sure didn’t expect much out of you!” :smiley:

The verse in Luke also describes the amount of punishment doled out in relation to this

And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

…so remember that Purgatory is a wonderful mercy for us all!

It helps me to try to look at people’s lives from that perspective, as many people have been given so very little love or formation and have grown up with abuse of every kind.

I see people who are living worldly lives, because they only have a small portion of the truth and no religion to speak of, but who are trying their best to make the most of that small portion they have been given such as some Hollywood stars, or people who are purely secular missionaries.

I believe many of these people will enter before me because I have been given so much in terms of faith formation. Indeed many very pious souls will be chastised because God will see into their hearts and not just their outwardly actions.

He is kind and merciful and will recognize when people are trying their best to find Him by trying to find what is good and true to the best of their abilities, despite poor formation or scandal which has set them off course.

The parable of the Good Samaritan is an example of this. I mean, the guy was in the wrong religion after all. :wink:

Peace be with you!

Spend some time with Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Quiet time, peaceful and prayerful. You will be amazed at how that will bring peace and trust in Our Lord. He is with you to help you overcome your fears. The “eye of the needle” was a smaller hole in the wall ,(surrounding the city,) to let late travelers in after the main gate was closed for the night to keep out marauders It was not easy unloading their camels so as to get their wares and animals inside. But NOT impossible. Jesus I trust in YOU. God Bless, Memaw

It is important to consider our state of life and how far along the path we are when chosing our reading and not chose material which is too advanced. It helps to have a spiritual director who can evaluate where we are and suggest appropriate reading material.

And let me suggest that when we become overly preoccupied with these things: is our attention on God? No… if somone is having panic attacks, no. This is a trick to get our attention off God without our noticing.

So if I have thoughts which seem to he leading me in a bad direction, I treat them like a temptation and start praying for help to have them lifted! The bad thoughts may return: I pray again. God does not want us to be this scared of Him! Pray!!!

Praying to St. Dymphna for your health & recovery.

And remember,

While some things are seemingly impossible for man,

ALL things are possible for God! :thumbsup:

John 10:10
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Jesus is about abundancy of life here and now as well as in eternity. The devil wants you to be afraid and anxious. That is how he steals from the quality of our present, kills and destroys the joy Christ gives us.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

I have had anxiety attacks before and I am aware of how difficult they can be to overcome. :console: I am praying for you that your pregnacy continues to be healthy and that you have a healthy baby. :signofcross:

On top of her problems already, why don’t we scare the daylights out of her instead of some words of encouragement, reassurance and hope. Prayers included. God Bless, Memaw

You should see a doctor right away. I’ve experienced this and you should get help.

Best,
Ed

Did you think my post was scary?

If I would feel as she does it would have scared me more,I think. Sorry. God Bless, Memaw

My apologies. My intent was to say that our fears and anxieties are largely of our own making. It is a temptation to worry about the future and stew about the past. If we live in the present with our mind on Christ everything else falls into place. The Kingdom of God is here with us now in our midst but we are tempted to let thoughts of the future and past crowd it out. We have the fullness of life of Jesus always with us. Let’s let our celebration and fullness of joy scare Satan.:signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.