Having fun with cars a sin?

So I really like working on cars and like being around them. Is the occasional squeeling of tires or short bursts of speed sinful? I have never put anyone in danger but I was pondering this all today. If it is sin is it venial or mortal?? I have a hard time thinking God would condemn someone for something like this. Thanks!!!

[quote="CatholicMatt46, post:1, topic:322905"]
So I really like working on cars and like being around them. Is the occasional squeeling of tires or short bursts of speed sinful? I have never put anyone in danger but I was pondering this all today. If it is sin is it venial or mortal?? I have a hard time thinking God would condemn someone for something like this. Thanks!!!

[/quote]

It's okay to have hobbies, provided they don't override the rest of your life or harm you or others. No reason working on (and driving) cars would be any different than any other hobby.

One caveat is that we are called to obey civil laws (as long as the law isn't immoral). So if you're breaking the law by squealing tires or speeding, that could be sinful. And of course, intentionally doing something dangerous to you or others would likely be sinful too. Whether it's mortal or venial would depend on the usual things -- is it grave matter, did you have full knowledge, did you have full consent?

Speeding, assuming it's not excessive, is probably not grave matter (my opinion)...in most places the limits are set well below the proper 85th percentile speed, mostly for revenue purposes, so going 5 or 10 over is usually perfectly safe. If you were doing something reckless that would definitely be grave matter -- speeding in school zones, going way over the limit, etc. There's a fair amount of gray area, I think.

But if you're reasonable about it -- never putting people in danger, not breaking the law, etc. -- I think you're in the clear! I'm not a big fan of working on cars, but I do love 'recreational' driving -- especially cruising down windy country roads. Just be safe and responsible and keep your priorities straight and there's no reason you can't have fun with cars and still be living a good, moral, Catholic life.

God bless!

So that was **you **at 3 o’clock this morning outside my window?? shakes fist

Sometimes it’s a sin not to :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=rla9KU0m808

As long as you do it safely then no. But I cant freaking stand when young punks do this around people. I fantasize about straightening them out and thus leads me to have sinful thoughts!

As a hobby, racing at an official track wouldn't be sinful but racing on the streets at night could be dangerous driving and sinful depending on how and where. There is of course an obligation to pay any fines incurred. I know a priest who enjoyed driving fast cars and motorbikes.

Peeling out is definitely not a grave matter as long as there is no intent to harm yourself or another.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.