Having Prayer Problems

Well, kind of. :wink: It seems that most times when I pray for someone else, that prayer is answered. But when I pray for myself or those really close to me, my prayers still remain unanswered. I am not praying for bad things, or material things. I pray for conversion for family members. No luck. I pray that I might regain partial or full health so I can be a better wife. No luck. I pray that we may be blessed with children. No luck. Things like that. But the moment I pray for someone I barely know, it seems that the prayer is answered quickly.

Am I doing something wrong? I would think God would want at least my family members to convert. I can understand the health and the infertility how He may need me to endure those for whatever reason. I guess I’m just confused as to why God listens to me when I pray for others I barely know or don’t even know. But why when I pray for someone close to me, or even myself those prayers seemingly remain unanswered.

I guess I could use a little encouragement or advice from those of you who are further along spiritually than I am, which would be most all of you I’m sure.:blush:

That has happened to me as well and the only answer I can give is that is just not your turn yet. That old saying is true “God works in mysterious ways”. Sometimes it really helps when you say the Rosary to reflect on a particular mystery that someone experienced some of the same experiences as you, for example perhaps in your case you would like to contemplate St Elizabeth and how long she prayed for a child and how old she was. And back in those times a baby was considered to be a blessing from God, I wondered what went through her mind all those years and how some people must have spoke about her & her husband. Also, don’t set limitations on God, he may answer your prayers in a different manner than you are expecting. So as Padre Pio used to say: “Pray, Hope, & don’t worry”. This is what I have learned. As far as conversions go I have read several times that because you don’t see the fruit of your prayers, doesn’t mean they aren’t being answered, your prayers may be the prayers that save a soul even moments before death and you just have to Trust in God.

There are many prolifers who sidewalk counsel and they never see the fruits of their labors and prayers but they know it is not a wasted effort, so they keep doing what they are doing. Because maybe, just maybe someone who went in did change their mind and decided to keep their baby…they just didn’t want to announce it to the people who are sidewalk counseling.

p.s. I don’t want my answer to you to imply that I am spiritually more advanced than you. But I did want to share what I have experienced in my own life and I hope it helps you not to get discouraged.

G’day twiceblessed.
Matt 6:33-34 tells us to seek his kingdom and all will be given to us. Time is not something us humans have patience with, but Jesus made a promise and he does not lie. We live in this hope that he will give us what we prayed for or something better. It is hard to keep our faith alive when we do not see things happening, but they are happening. Often there are no suitable answers when we want it now. I will pray that God’s blessings will give you great joy and peace. cheers geoff

Dear Twiceblessed,

It helps me to remember that when God’s answer to a prayer is “no” or “not now,” it’s because He’s giving something better.

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:11-13)

Remember that ALL things, including poor health, lack of children, etc., work for the good of those who love God (Romans 8:28). God is making lemonade from the lemons in your life.

As far as conversions go, St. Monica had to pray for a couple decades for the conversions of her husband and son. :wink:

Thanks everyone. This advice has been most helpful. I guess I’m really just struggling with always hearing “no” for me or those close to me, but almost always hearing “yes” for people I barely know. Maybe God knows that those close to me are better off than these other souls and they need yeses the most. :shrug:

Twiceblessed, no advice from me but I’m in almost the same situation as you are. :\

don’t know if i am further along… but i do know how you feel.

You may think this is a little… odd to say but… Have you ever prayed the rosary in public (not necessary OUT loud, of course)? I did recently and it was really weird… I saw this resistance within me to getting into holiness in “unholy” places :eek::whacky::hmmm:.

the reason i bring this up is that, well, I just realized that i was somewhat a different person in public than when in Church or at home… not terribly different… not to the point that my public self would do some sin or what have you that my private self wouldn’t… but just more resistant to getting into the rosary (etc)… :hmmm:

(guess i compartmentalize my life much more than i thought…)

I have no idea why i am saying this… except that, well, there’s that scripture about how without holiness it is impossible to please God. i can only speak for msyelf but i feel I need to work more on being close to God when i do not really feel (naturally) close to Him and in public, where everyone is virtually ALWAYS talkign worldly stuff, i don’t naturally feel close to God… :frowning:

:heaven:

I’ve found that when God doesn’t answer my prayers, it’s a lesson in humility and patience. It’s also a learning experience. By opening my heart to the prospect that those closest to me may never convert, my heart has been converted so that I cannot help but see the good in them regardless of what dogmas they believe.

Sounds like you’re in the same boat as Jesus: He advanced a little and fell prostrate in prayer, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will” (Matt 26:39).

Were his prayers answered, or not?

Twice Blessed,
I can relate. I lost my mom almost 9 years ago to cancer. I felt the way you do now. Sometimes I still don’t understand by try to believe that she is still near me and with god at peace.
Blessings,
Eli

I’m your spiritual junior, I think. My reaction is, “Wow, this is so cool! I’m gonna go pray for some people I barely know and see if God does this for me!”

Seriously, my first thought was that maybe you have a special spiritual gift that makes your prayers for others more efficacious. And like you said . . . perhaps it is because they need it more.

Say . . . couldja pray for my family to be blessed with a rich and consuming faith? Just a quick “Our Father”? I mean, since you so often see those prayers for others answered?:blush:

I’ll pray for you as well - PM me if you have a specific intention you’d like me to pray for.

This is really helpful thankyou. :slight_smile:

Trust me, I’m not a miracle worker, just your average sinner. :blush: I will pray for your intention. God bless you. :slight_smile:

I am so sorry to hear this. :frowning: That must have been so difficult. I almost lost my mother too. She’s still quite sick. I understand the pain. May God bless you with His love and peace. :hug1:

To be honest with you that is tremendous that your prayers for others get answered. What a great Blessing. It gives me great satisfaction praying for others. Its a way of serving others too. As far as for yourself keep at it…sometimes it takes awhile and you will see your answer. It might not always be what you like but you will see it. Father Corapi on EWTN lived a sinful life up into his 30’s before he became a priest, his mother said rosaries for him everyday for many years. It took awhile but look at her results. Sometimes I think we have to live in the dark awhile to see the light. On a side note I pray daily for family members to convert back to the Catholic church, I see small victories. It takes time. Don’t quit no matter how you feel. God Bless.

twiceblessed,
It is with time, patience and love that God will answer your prayers. Think of the possibilities He has in store for you! Conversion will come, babies will come, many many good things are to come. Have faith as small as the tiniest mustard seed and ye shall receive a bouuntiful of blessings.
Lord let twiceblessed have these small things that are so wonderful in life. Conversion of family, the ability to bear children, and patience for the wonderful things You can grant her.
We ask that You take away twiceblessed’s anxieties so that she may have an easier time conceiving, that her family come to know You and love You, and want to learn the faith, and that twiceblessed be given good health, peace of body, mind and soul all the days of her life,
Amen
I hope you get pregnant soon!
:smiley: hang in there!
Mary1173

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.