Having trouble trusting God

I have found that lately I have been having trouble trusting God. The reason for this is I think, how can we trust in the Lord if we know that bad things are going to happen anyway, so what is the point of trusting in him. How can I trust in the Lord more?

@yb21

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and do not rely on your own insight.
6 In all your ways acknowledge him,and he will make straight your paths.

Read Psalms 27 full The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evildoers assail me,
uttering slanders against me,
my adversaries and foes,
they shall stumble and fall.

3 Though a host encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
yet I will be confident.

4 One thing have I asked of the Lord,…

Hebrews 12:1- Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,[a] 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. 4 In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you forgotten the exhortation which addresses you as sons?—

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor lose courage when you are punished by him.
6 For the Lord disciplines him whom he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”

7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers to discipline us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time at their pleasure, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant; later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Jesus knew he was about to suffer death, he trusted in his Father at Gethsemane when he prayed, thy will be done.

When we trust God, even if we are the victims of bad things, it will contribute to our greater good “All things work together for the good of those who love God”.

Trust in God must be aimed primarily at heavenly goods, and optionally at earthly goods when these can help us progress toward heavenly goods. But in general the “bad things” as you say help us more to progress towards the celestial goods.

@yb21 , I’ve been where you are now .

I felt that I just didn’t trust God as I ought .

It went away after a while , but it wasn’t very pleasant while it lasted .

How can you trust in the Lord more ? Just keep on doing it and asking for the grace to trust more each day despite all the doubts and misgivings which will clutter your mind .

And this prayer of St Ignatius of Loyola may help - - - - - - - - -

O Christ Jesus
When all is darkness
And we feel our weakness and helplessness,
Give us the sense of Your Presence,
Your Love and Your Strength.
Help us to have perfect trust
In Your protecting love
And strengthening power,
So that nothing may frighten or worry us,
For, living close to You,
We shall see Your Hand,
Your Purpose, Your Will through all things

To trust in yourself - will lead you crazy and everywhere and nowhere.
You have to have faith - in God - and faith in prayer - and faith in church -
to trust - even a so called friend - could lead you straight to hell.
Have faith in Mary - the rosary - the bible readings of the day - etc -

Bad things ARE going to happen -
but God sends them to us - to learn by - and hopefully grow there by.
Accept bad things - as part of God’s will for you.
Don’t be this ego brat of confusion who cant decide one way or the other.

He - is the Rock !
Build on that -

I think of the phrase from Job (paraphrase): we accept good things from God; why can’t we accept bad things too?
Every single thing that happens to us is known by God and designed for our good. If we believe this bad things no longer are seen as bad, or at least we can see that at some point they will contribute to our good and the good of others. It is a change in sight and understanding.
The only way to grow in trust of God is work on it daily and pray for it. I’d suggest getting an image of Divine Mercy and saying the prayer on it, “Jesus I trust in you” multiple times a day.

The problem of evil. Read St Augustine on this. He answers your questions well.

God is not the author of bad things happen

Maybe God is different than what we have been conditioned supposed. Maybe it’s impossible for anything to happen without everything having an opposite (like good and bad) and the attending gradations between. For instance, how can light be known without dark to contrast it to, or how can we know high without having low as a reference? Opposites make one another possible. Warm implies cold, life implies death. But death also implies life. Maybe it’s impossible for anything to “be” without having these contrasts. How could anything happen if all was good? I think that might offer a view into the mental quagmire. Good and bad seem to be existential imperatives to one another, and it follows that perhaps God simply sees good and bad as two sides of a whole. How could it be seen otherwise from a practical perspective? Imagine if you could live a million years or even eternity on a placid ocean with a perfect breeze. I think you would soon lose your mind. So, the ocean has waves and storms and this makes experience possible. The ocean will always have storms and waves, so maybe it’s just a matter of how you ride them.

All the best!

I have trouble knowing God. If I knew Him better, then I would be able to discern whether to trust Him or not.
(let me guess…someone will say “just read your Bible and you’ll know God real well” )

No, I wouldn’t say that to you goodcatholic. (You sound like you are itching for a fight these days, again).
I’d say to increase your prayer and frequent the sacraments, including daily Mass.

NO WHERE did God ever say life would be easy. But in many places of His Word God says no matter what I am beside you each and every moment.

Well firstly, this is a common thing problem among us humans. Secondly this issue is with our definition of ‘bad things’. What looks to be a bad thing is only bad because we are seeing it from our point of view (we can’t help that) and living it in the here and now without being able to see the whole picture (mostly we can’t really help that either - at least not without trust in God ). Christianity is full of these sort of paradoxes. Anyway let me explain it a little more simply say a parent is playing with their toddler on the seaside at the edge of the sea and holding he hands of the child in the waves while lifting the child up over the breaking waves. I am sure you’ve all seen or can imagine or perhaps have done something like it. The toddler loves it and is yelling with joy and delight and wants to let go of the parent’s hand and go further into the water after the receding waves but the parent says no. The toddler yells and cries and is very upset and the parent decides to end the activity and takes the screaming toddler home or back to the towel/car etc… To the toddler this is terrible and awful the worst thing in the world, but it is only so because he cannot see the whole picture and is not aware of the dangers the parent can see or knows may happen should they allow the toddler to play alone in the sea. You can see where I am going with this, God is like the parent (only far more perfect in knowledge, love and ability than any parent) and we are like toddlers. We want what we see in the world and cannot ever know what dangers lurk in the spiritual world from either the devil, our own wills or the earthly world. So in order to trust God we need to firstly, learn that He truly is mighty and our creator and the He knows all things and we do not and secondly, take action towards gaining that trust. The action comes firstly by admitting we aren’t sure how to trust God or if we can, admitting we have a weakness in that respect, asking Him for help in prayer (from our weakness, comes God’s great strength) and then taking/making small advances towards trust. In case you didnt notice… I just gave you that first advance :wink: ie. the prayer to ask Him for help with your trust issue is actually an action in trust. Trust Him with your weakness and let Him help you, He literally died too help you.

Oh yes! the “bad things” happen because God wants it. And He is free to prevent them or not, without infringing the freedom of his creatures.
However, these “bad things” are bad only for those who do not trust God, otherwise those things called “bad” are actually very good for those who trust God.

So if someone wants to kill, how can God stop them? Without infringing on their freedom.

Raising the knife to kill, a passer-by can grab your hand and you do not kill anymore.

Freedom is in the will and not in the success or not of what one undertakes

You need to understand the concept of good and evil and sin a little better.

How do you think things will end if you try to trust the Lord? and if you don’t even try? Do you have any ideas yourself on how to trust the Lord?

I struggle with trust too, but through experience, not trying and not caring have never helped me, only made things worse. I do have a bit of peace in my heart when I try to follow what the Lord has said to do. Spiritual reading also helps, besides regular reception of the sacraments.

My two cents…

It is mandatory to work for the coming of the kingdom of God with your time, talent, and resources. We are expected to do God’s will everyday, to work, pray, suffer, use the sacraments, etc. in an active way. Trusting in God does not mean just sitting around doing nothing.
We are to do our best, but ALSO trust God because ultimately he alone accomplishes things. “Apart from me you can do nothing,” he tells us. We are instruments in his hands.
Mother Teresa stated that she was called to be faithful, not successful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.