Hawaii lawmaker pounded for taking sledgehammer to homelessness

Fox News:

A Hawaii lawmaker whose solution to dealing with the state’s homeless problem was to take a sledgehammer to shopping carts says he’s putting aside the hammer – for now. State Rep. Tom Brower, a five-term Democrat who represents Waikiki and Ala Moana, had been going block by block during his spare time in search of stray shopping carts used by the state’s estimated 17,000 homeless people, smashing them to pieces. The tool-toting legislator, who says he’s “disgusted” with people who live on the street, reportedly smashed 30 carts in the past two weeks.
But after the lawmaker began receiving complaints about the practice, he agreed to hold off on the hammering, Hawaii News Nowhttp://global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/img/external-link.png reports.

[snip]

Brower, who did not respond to several messages from FoxNews.com seeking comment early Wednesday, insists he doesn’t want to threaten anyone, however.
"I think it’s threatening to steal things and then walk around with them like it’s their own,” he told UPI.
The longtime lawmaker said he also has been known to awaken homeless people he catches sleeping during daytime hours.
”If someone is sleeping at night on the bus stop, I don’t do anything,” Brower told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. “But if they are sleeping during the day, I’ll walk up and say, ‘Get your a-- moving.’”

Wow… just wow… does he honestly think that by destroying the shopping trolleys that these people carry what few belonings they have in, that he is actually going to do anything to affect homelessness other than make it more difficult for the people who are all ready in that situation? Wow… just… wow.

Yes, because they’ll either relocate somewhere else or eventually die. Win-win.

Just like being able to say unemployment is down, because you’ve managed to drive people off unemployment insurance rolls.

As a side, it seems like an odd strategy from another vantage. He’s incensed because the shopping carts are “stolen”. So why does he not take the carts and return them to the retail store from whence they came? :shrug: Should he not now be prosecutable for vandalism or destruction of private property?

When I was in the Army, we used to have a saying regarding behaviour like this: “Dude, there’s a reason you’re issued a helmet.”

A Hawaii lawmaker whose solution to dealing with the state’s homeless problem was to take a sledgehammer to shopping carts says he’s putting aside the hammer – for now. State Rep. Tom Brower, a five-term Democrat who represents Waikiki and Ala Moana, had been going block by block during his spare time in search of stray shopping carts used by the state’s estimated 17,000 homeless people, smashing them to pieces. The tool-toting legislator, who says he’s “disgusted” with people who live on the street, reportedly smashed 30 carts in the past two weeks.
But after the lawmaker began receiving complaints about the practice, he agreed to hold off on the hammering, Hawaii News Now reports.

[snip]

Brower, who did not respond to several messages from FoxNews.com seeking comment early Wednesday, insists he doesn’t want to threaten anyone, however.
**"I think it’s threatening to steal things and then walk around with them like it’s their own,” he told UPI.**The longtime lawmaker said he also has been known to awaken homeless people he catches sleeping during daytime hours.
”If someone is sleeping at night on the bus stop, I don’t do anything,” Brower told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser. “But if they are sleeping during the day, I’ll walk up and say, ‘Get your a-- moving.’”

I wonder if it ever occurred to this guy that " smashing the carts with a sledgehammer" is destroying a stores property which is just as bad as the homeless stealing the carts to begin with. Hawaii is a pretty progressive state. Maybe the homeless just aren’t “gay” enough for his liking:shrug::smiley:

What a revolting individual! :mad:

This is disgusting behavior on his part. His behavior seems to signal that he hates the homeless. I do not know if he really does or not but he ought to be ashamed of his behavior. It is definitely not the behavior of kindness. I do not know what the solution to homelessness is in Hawaii or anywhere else but perhaps this lawmaker should be working to enact better policies that would help the homeless to afford to have a home and a job that will enable them to afford their home.

As for me, I live in a subsidized apartment. If I did not live in subsidized housing, I would almost definitely be homeless. There is no way that I could ever afford another apartment or home of any sort on my monthly income without the subsidization.

I suspect this guy needs psychiatric treatment. Nothing about his behavior makes any sense whatsoever. The stores that own the shopping carts should press charges against him.

I have no idea whether or not he needs psychiatric treatment but his behavior seems rather hateful to me. Perhaps he has anger management issues? It could also stem from depression. Often times people who have depression tend to be hateful because their depression causes them to have a sort of gloom of the mind. I can speak from experience. If I am depressed I am often less charitable than I ought to be.

But it’s more than just meaness. There’s no logical theory that suggests that destroying shopping carts prevents homelessness and he must know that he’s breaking the law and inciting violence. Besides that, the carts don’t belong to the homeless people anyway. If anything, he might return them to the stores they were taken from. I still think this is more than uncharitableness. This guy is from Crazytown.

What a dope. :smiley: I’m surprised this wasn’t a story from the Onion or the Weekly World News, honestly. :wink:

Again, five terms. I doubt he just lost his mind last week.

It speaks more to the voters who thought he was a man worth voting for.

The thing about sleeping during the day, I’ll say for myself, is that I did it often because it was too cold at night to sleep without fear of getting hypothermia or worse.

The other thing is that it often takes a while at night to find a safe place to sleep, so you often need a nap during the day.

Also, homeless people often do a LOT of walking, which makes you tired and so you nap during the day.

Next, it’s not like you have an alarm clock like housed people do. The morning traffic often wakes you up, but IT"S NOT A CRIME to sleep during the day, some people who live in homes sleep during the day and some people who work nights sleep during the day…

I actually think this waking of homeless people is a form of cruelty.

God bless him and those like him

Finally, I never stole a shopping cart and used it, but I would like to point out to anyone reading this that some of these homeless use the carts to collect aluminum cans and, thus, honorably provide for themselves. It’s their livelihood this man is destroying.

How would he like it if someone smashed his car or his house? Just because he has a job and money to pay for them doesn’t make him any better than the homeless who can’t.

Hawaii has the highest homeless population in the US. They have even tried resorting to paying the homeless to take a one way flight off the island to any other state.

You would think there would be a better way to handle the homeless populatation than going around harrassing them and destroying their stuff. Is it too much to ask for a little compassion?

How disgraceful to give them money to be homeless elsewhere but not the money to get themselves a flat or bungalow for a month while they find a job and get in their feet … It’s shameful

I was speaking to a group of homeless people during one of the ministries I take part in. They said that you should never wake up a homeless person. I didn’t bother to ask why. My assumption was exactly what you said, that they have to sleep whenever they can or they won’t sleep enough or at all.

I agree 100%. It’s said that during the depression, New York spent more money on greyhound tickets than on direct aid to help those in need. They prefered to just send them to the boarder so that they become someone elses problem. Guess some things never change.

That was my thought too. How many programs could be funded to help people from ending up that way in the first place or to get them back on their feet?

Indeed. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Why are Democrats so violent?

Hawaii’s voter turnout rate is either #49 or #50 of all the states. People don’t bother voting because the elected officials do what they want, no matter what the people want. The labor unions, ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and other powerhouse special interests are behind getting these (…insert your favorite descriptive word…) into office. The liberal media is a collaborator with the progressive Democratic party.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.