HBO mini-series The Pacific

Did anyone watch part one of this series this past Sunday night? It comes on at 9 PM on HBO each Sunday. I am a huge WWII buff and also a WWII reenactor so I have been looking forward to this for a long time. It’s basically the Pacific theatre equivalent to Band of Brothers. Anyone see part one? I can’t wait for part two. What did you think? I really enjoyed what I’ve seen so far, a good portrayal.

i loved Band of Brothers & look forward to seeing The Pacific.

i just wish arrogant & ignorant people like Tom Hanks, who recently called WWII “racist” & asked if it ‘doesn’t resemble what is going on today’, & was also deeply involved with the horrible ANTI-CATHOLIC Dan Brown “DaVinci” code movies along with Ron Howard, (Pray for these poor misguided men!) were not involved in the project!

WHEN MR. HANKS IS READY TO GO “ALL IN” FOR JESUS, THEN I WILL LISTEN TO HIS COMMENTARY!!!

From the article Tom Hanks: America is Overcoming Racism, ‘It’s Just Taking an Awfully Long Time’ cnsnews.com/news/article/62716 "Appearing on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on March 5, Hanks said that “The Pacific” depicts a war of “racism and terror” and asked the interviewer if that sounded “familiar to what we might be going through today.”

Sure there was racism & terror, but people like Mr. Hanks, who never served one day in the Military, & has never been willing to give his live in defense of others who are innocent, has focused on the evil of racism when he must focus on the heroism & sacrifice of the men & women who followed what Jesus taught us!

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” (Jn 15:13)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

i just wish arrogant & ignorant people like Tom Hanks, who recently called WWII “racist” & asked if it ‘doesn’t resemble what is going on today’, & was also deeply involved with the horrible ANTI-CATHOLIC Dan Brown “DaVinci” code movies along with Ron Howard, (Pray for these poor misguided men!) were not involved in the project!

Don’t lie about what Tom Hanks said. He said that the war was one of racism and terror, and that oftentimes the only way to clear a small island was to kill them all. It was a war of racism and terror; we hated the Japanese and the Japanese hated us. They tried to frighten us into submission and we did the same. Hanks never said that the war was racist, or that it was fought in a bad cause. He never said that the United States was the bad guy in the war.

This was a brutal war. It was an unpleasant war.

And it is true that we hated the Japanese in a way that we didn’t hate the Germans and the Italians. If you had to develop the sliding scale of World War II, it would probably go:

1. Western Allies vs. the European Axis; a war with not as much hatred on any front and often respect between opposing generals

2. The US and Britain vs. Japan: a war with quite a bit of hatred between opponents, particularly the United States and the Japanese. Prisoners were much rarer in these engagements, and more brutal tactics were acceptable.

3. Japan vs. China: Getting very close to a race war.

4. The Russians vs. the Germans: Described in one World War II book as “the death struggle of the great dictatorships”. This was the hell of the war.

Then, of course, you have to accept that without Tom Hanks, Band of Brothers probably never would have been made, John Adams probably would never have been made, and The Pacific would never have been made.

I did watch the first episode with great interest. My dad was aboard a Navy ship in the Pacific for most of the war, and, at nearly 90, still has many war stories to share.

Two of the real-life characters, Sid Phillips and Eugene Sledge (whose memoir With the Old Breed was one of the works upon which the series is based) are both natives of the city where I live. Dr. Phillips is still very much alive, at 85. You may remember him and his sister, Katherine Phillips Singer, from Ken Burns wonderful documentary, The War (or, as Katherine would say in her wonderful, very southern accent, “the Wawa.”)

I’m rather late the thread, obviously, but I watched the first two episodes of this the other night and found them very compelling. I’m set to watch the third, in which their in Australia, but a synopsis of the plot has me wondering about the content (if correct, that episode is no combat, and mostly sex). What would it get on the Catholic Bishop’s scale? AIII?

This is the first I've heard of it. I'll have to look it up sometime maybe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.