He Calls Himself God

:mad:

msnbc.msn.com/id/16840066/site/newsweek/

This guy is extremely dangerous. And about 20 minutes by car from my house. Yikes.

Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)

Yikes…

I would think people would be wise enough to figure out that the chance of Jesus wanting a ‘lavish’ lifestyle upon his return are pretty slim.

It’s sad to see that people are actually fooled by such a man.

Here’s a video of the story

youtube.com/watch?v=P2Iy0AdzRpg

That’s a little scary

Well, this fellow appears to have one thing right…his latest claim that he is an anti-Christ:

“Two years ago at Growing in Grace’s world convention in Venezuela, he declared himself Christ. And just last week, he called himself the Antichrist and revealed a “666” tattooed on his forearm. His explanation: that, as the second coming of Christ, he rejects the continued worship of Jesus of Nazareth.”

msnbc.msn.com/id/16840066/site/newsweek/

I read the artical again , verrry slowwwly. :hmmm: This guy is really messed up :whacky:

But in the words of Obie Wan “Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?” :smiley:

But more seriously, I feel sorry for the misguided people that have him as their leader. He could get dangerous :eek:

I seem to remember some discussion about this loon elsewhere on this board.

How sad.

Pax vobiscum!

This will sound a little uncharitable, but how unbelievably stupid do those people have to be to follow someone like this??? What a bunch of crazies! :whacky:

In Christ,
Rand

The sad thing is these types of groups have been booming in Miami over the last 15 years. (though I don’t believe the other charasmatic fundamentalist ministers make such wild claims about themselves).

Miami use to be heavily Catholic, and even though Catholics still represent the largest religious group in South Florida (not by much I’d imagine now), hundreds of thousands of former Catholics have been duped and many others will continue to be duped by these fundamentalist evangelical groups. And why do they all want to be on TV? Is this the pastor’s highest goal? I only have basic cable, mostly local channels (no EWTN), but on any given day I’ll get at the same time anywhere from 7-10 different Spanish-speaking evangelical pastors with their large or small congregations, on different channels through paid programming; they’re all based somewhere from Miami or South Florida. And if I were to add the English-speaking evangelical pastors to the total appearing on my TV, you would think my TV is an “Electronic Church”… rather I should say “churches”.

We desperately need Catholic Apologetics in Spanish! Massive translations of all books from Ignatius Press is needed in Spanish!

COULD? Any person who says he is Jesus IS dangerous

It’s amazing what people will buy as true. Why don’t people stick to the real article - Christ is really present to us every day in the Eucharist.

his guy is extremely dangerous. And about 20 minutes by car from my house. Yikes.

If it is any consolation there are folk within 20 minutes car ride from most folks homes who think likewise :wink:

That is extremely uncharitable. I think what these people do have is a lot of faith.

Some people would say it is “crazy” to actually believe that every Sunday around the Catholic world, millions of bread wafers are magically converted into the body of a human that lived two thousand years ago.

Be considerate of the irrational beliefs of others.

When Jesus really comes back, who will actually believe him? What would have to happen for people to believe. I’m being quite earnest here. I’m interested to know what the signs are that we should look for.

Well, Matthew chapter 24 is one place to look for a list of things that will take place when Jesus comes back; Matthew 24:4 is especially relevant to this discussion, as is 24:26.

The signs are also included in Mark chapter 13 and Luke chapter 21.

And it will be known to all when it happens, like lightning flashing from the east to the west (Matthew 24:27).

Hope this helps.

Zirconia

Will there actually be lightening from east to west, because that happened last summer. Or do they just mean it will be like lightening flashing from east to the west. I would assume that CNN and Fox would pick up the story right away (just as they did the one of the Florida Jesus, the authenticity of which many of you doubt).

I don’t have my bible handy. What else did Mark, Luke and Mattthew say on this topic.

I have strong suspicions that when Jesus does come back he will go around claiming to be Jesus and people will react the same way you are all reacting now, “yeah whatever, this guy says he’s Jesus, must be nuts.”

That’s not faith at all - it’s credulity, of the same sort as makes people think that the BVM appears in tortillas.

That it is manifested in a religious form, does not mean that it’s content has anything to do with religion. Credulity is credulity, whether it takes the form of believing that old women can turn themselves into cats, of believing the BVM appears in a fence-post, or of following lying charlatans who preach that the end is nigh or that the illogical bilge of “The Bible Code” indicates that there would be a nuclear catastrophe in 2006.

People are always being taken for suckers in religion, politics, & medicine - the way to get rid of these idiocies (which need to be exposed as the piffle & balderdash they are) is to refuse to treat the claims of the unfortunates who’ve swallowed them seriously. If more frauds had been mocked in the past for their absurdities, there might be fewer now.

The accusation of craziness is not what is significant - what is significant, is whether there are conditions in which what seems crazy can be actual. That’s why it was reasonable to regard heavier-than-air powered flight as crazy until a century ago. If all one has to go on is the world as known, and if the world that is known is not the sort of world in which that sort of flight makes sense, in view of the physical properties of the things involved, then that sort of heavier-than-air powered flight may well seem crazy. To show it is not crazy, but plausible, & possible, & actually consistent with the world as known, it has to be done. It was reasonable to dismiss the idea - & equally reasonable to go ahead with it and make it a fact.

This absurdity is crazy in a different way. That was crazy because it was not possible to see how the properties of objects in the world could go together is such a way as to make heavier-than-air powered flight in that world. That is not the quite the same as saying that it is utterly impossible under all circumstances that it could happen in a yet-unimagined way. This by contrast could not, under any circumstances, of any possible, hypothetical or conditional kind whatever, be true. We know this because we know enough about Jesus Christ to realise that, mysterious as He is in so many ways, He can at least not be this man: there is no concatenation of circumstamces under which it could be consistent with reality to identify them in that way.

Faith in the religious sense is really synonymous with credulity. They both refer to the willingness to believe something without sufficient evidence. Credulity would lead someone to believe, for example, that a bread wafer is magically converted into a slice of actual human flesh of someone that lived 2000 years ago.

Your aeronautical aside support the basis for technological advancement. Is that what you’re arguing for? I don’t disagree that technological progress is generally good for society.

Those people need to read more Bible.

Okay, here goes…

Beginning at Matthew 25:4 (NIV)

"Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming “I am the Christ”, and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All of these are the beginning of birth pangs.

Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people…And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Picking up again at Matthew 24:23

"At that time if anyone says to you, “Look, here is the Christ!” or “There he is!” do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect–if that were possible. See, I [Jesus] have told you ahead of time.

So if anyone tells you, “There he is, out in the desert,” do not go out; or, “Here he is, in the inner rooms,” do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."

The Mark and Luke accounts are quite similar to the Matthew one. The way I learned the verses was “as lightning from east to west,” and the way I always thought of it was more like a single flash of lightning that everyone (from the east to the west) could see.

Oh, and there’s also Second Peter chapter 3, which contains an account of how at the Second Coming the heavens will disappear with a bang and the elements melt in the heat, and Second Thessalonians chapter 1 about how Jesus will be revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. And a little later in the Matthew account (I think), it also mentions about how Jesus will return coming on the clouds, with the blast of the trumpet and the shout of the archangel.

So I would say it hasn’t happened yet…

Zirconia

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.