He or She

I have seen one or two people use She in place of “He” for God.
Is it offensive to you? It kind of is to me to call God “She”, am I wrong?

God has no sex, but since Jesus referred to God as Abba - Father - I think that to refer to God as She is silly at the least. It’s offensive to me.

It is offensive to me because I believe in the trinity. For a while there, I went to a Christian Science church, where they refered to God always as our Father- Mother God. I guess not a He or She thing, but its about the same.

Usually when I hear God referred to in a feminine way it brings me up short and makes me think. I have no problem with the idea of God as Father or referring to God in a masculine way. But at the same time, I think it’s important to remember that God is neither masculine or feminine. We always need to keep in mind that God is a mystery far greater than we can understand. When I hear God referred to as Mother, it reminds me that I don’t understand God and can’t pretend that I do.

I agree with what Biblioassistant said above. God has no sex. I wouldn’t say I am offended by God being referred to as a “She”, but on the other hand I don’t see why it would be necessary to do so. As Biblioassisant said, Jesus referred to God as Father, so shall I. I have no problem with the Tradition (if that is the right word to use) of using “He.” Also, I personally suspect that those that would want to refer to God only as “She” rather than “He” could possibly end up being just as sexist as “those people” they are trying to be different from. I think if they want to be truly inclusive they’d have to say “He AND She” at which point I would think that would be ridiculous. I hope I haven’t offended anyone. Just sharing my personal opinion.

Something that C. S. Lewis wrote (just paraphrasing here) that God represents the masculine while we, as his creatures, reflect the feminine, even if we are males. I’m afraid I can’t recall precisely why he posited this, although I have glimmering of what he meant which I cannot put into words. Perhaps someone else has a better grasp of his thought on this than I do.

It does offend me to call God a she.

Why? Why is it actually offensive?

Perhaps some people think that Jesus Christ was female. For those of us Christians, who believe Jesus is God … the majority believe that Jesus is male.

“My mother… who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name…” :rolleyes:

NO thank you. Totally weird IMO and I would bet a dozen donuts that the same people who push for God to be refered to as “she” would also like to see women Priests.

What would Jesus Do? That is what I am called to follow. He called God Abba, Father, as do I.

To do otherwise would be pandering to secularism and political correctiveness. Nonsense. For those who want to nitpick every single thing in the Bible, it puzzles me when the same persons want to use inclusive language.

Yes, it is offensive and annoying. Like being pecked to death by a duck.

Because Jesus called God Father and because the Church refers to God as “He” then one must call God He. One must never call God “she”.

No one has seen God, except Jesus Christ and he revealed Him to us as our Father.

When we call God she, we begin to create God in our own image.

Jim

It offends me.

“God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit” definitely indicate “He”.

I have also noticed that some songs and prayers change the
words "He"and “His” when referring to God to the word “God”. I don’t like it. I know God is Spirit, but I am comfortable with thinking of Him as our Father, like Jesus said to.

Use “she” for God is very annoying to say the least.
The Lord’s prayer starts with “Our Father…”, there is no question that father is male. Jesus is the Son of God. There is no question a son is a male. Jesus said Father and I are one. Both the Father and the Son are male. Isn’t that obvious enough? Use “she” is actually not just annoying, it is outrageous!

I think you buttoned that one.

I would never call “God” as if he were feminine. Our Lord called him “Abba” and I will too.
On a side note, i’ve also heard people say “goddess” :confused:

Is it this:

The question has nothing to do with what we would like to do, but instead with what God tells us to do. C.S. Lewis addressed this point in his book, God in the Dock:

Goddesses have, of course, been worshipped: many religions have had priestesses. But they are religions quite different in character from Christianity… Since God is in fact not a biological being and has no sex, what can it matter whether we say He or She, Father or Mother, Son or Daughter?
Christians think that God Himself has taught us how to speak of Him. To say that it does not matter is to say either that all the masculine imagery is not inspired, is merely human in origin, or else that, though inspired, it is quite arbitrary and unessential. And this is surely intolerable (1970, p. 237, emp. in orig.).

It is not man’s (or woman’s!) place to question God’s sovereign authority or divine will; neither falls under mankind’s jurisdiction. As Kreeft and Tacelli noted: “One issue is whether we have the authority to change the names of God used by Christ, the Bible and the church. The traditional defense of masculine imagery for God rests on the premise that the Bible is divine revelation, not culturally relative, negotiable and changeable” (1994, p. 98). Christ Himself left us the perfect example (as He always did) when He said: “Our Father Who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name” (Matthew 6:9, emp. added). The fact that biblical designations of God are placed within the specific framework of the masculine settles the matter once and for all. It simply is not a matter up for discussion.

It is very offensive to me first and foremost because of the motivations of the people who wish that God be known as “She.” This is simply an extremist feminist thing and for them to drag God’s Name into their perverted activism makes me furious.:mad:

I’M SO SICK OF FEMINISM AND ALL THOSE OTHER LEFTIST “ISMS”!!! Why must sex and gender issues be injected into every single possible topic!?

The simple fact is that God has no sex, but He has been revealed to us as FATHER, SON, and Holy Spirit. Why? BECAUSE THAT’S HOW HE CHOSE TO REVEAL HIMSELF. PERIOD; END OF STORY.

This is incredibly annoying to me. Why the heck is calling God “He” such a problem for the radical feminists? I don’t get it. Perhaps I, as a male, should also be offended that some people disdain using a masculine pronoun for God? This is all really ridiculous. I mean, seriously, they are making a masculine pronoun an issue. A PRONOUN!!! Don’t these people have ANYTHING better to do with their lives? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.