He will come again to judge the living and the dead

This thread is for Protestants because my mother wants to know the answer from Protestant theology (she is a Protestant).

One evening we were discussing about this, left unanswered. So far we understand, in Protestant theology: they can’t pray for the dead, and if we die, we go to either heaven or hell. She is not sure whether purgatory exists (some of Protestant pastors we know said it doesn’t exist, but there’s another Protestant pastor who said it exists), or whether people who died are sleeping in Christ (Orthodox theology) (CMIIW). And from Protestant understanding, there is a separation between earth, heaven and hell so that is why Protestants don’t ask the saints to pray for them.

This is why the question i think is for Protestants: if you dont believe in purgatory and the dead people are either in heaven or hell, why is His second coming to judge both the living and the dead?? If the soul is in heaven, why being judged again? If the soul is in hell, hell is an eternal damnation, right?

I hope this question won’t hurt anyone…

Well, have fun, because there is no such thing as “Protestant theology”. You will have to ask her the denomination in which she is interested. You have everything from Anglican to Westboro Baptist Church and there is no common theology between them.

:hmmm:

:coffeeread:

You’re right Steve, the opinions differ, each denomination has other teaching. I left Protestantism because I felt like I was building a house on the sand and I didn’t get a definitive answer. I asked my Protestant friend about limbo, purgatory and few other stuff but I ended up making her upset. I don’t know why she’s upset, i asked her because she was a Catholic so I expected that she’d know the answer.

I was hoping to get a definitive answer about His second coming here on this site, because I thought people around me don’t have definitive answer because they haven’t studied deeper

Okay, I’m confused. Are you calling your Catholic friend a Protestant? Do you believe Catholics are Protestant?

What question did you have about the second coming?

No i’m not. She was a Catholic, she’s converted to Protestantism a few years ago

The question is the very first question on this thread :smiley: i realized the answer will not be definitive, seeing that there are a bunch of denominations.

Hi Vanez,

Here is the position of my faith tradition:
The resurrection of those who have fallen asleep in Christ and their translation together with those who are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord is the imminent and blessed hope of the church. The second coming of Christ includes the rapture of the saints, which is our blessed hope, followed by the visible return of Christ with His saints to reign on earth for one thousand years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel, and the establishment of universal peace. There will be a final judgment in which the wicked dead will be raised and judged according to their works. Whosoever is not found written in the Book of Life, together with the devil and his angels, the beast and the false prophet, will be consigned to the everlasting punishment in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. We, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Thank you Aidan,

I’m going to tell my mom and I hope her cell group has time this sunday after church so we can have discussion :slight_smile:

The judgement you get after death is the particular judgement to determine where your going to be for eternity. The judgement at the end of the world and second coming is the general judgement not to determine or redetermine where your going but to reveal all the deeds of life in relationship to all other people.

:bowdown: i’m sorry, i’m confused :banghead: i’ll visit a pastor tomorrow

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.