Headcovering at church

I read in the bible a few months ago that women should cover their heads when they go to church. Off hand I can only think of 2 women in about their late 80's doing this at our church. Ladies do you do it when you go to church if no why not?

Oh boy - this is a hot topic here on CAF! :D

First visit this group here on CAF: Veiled in Grace

Then do a keyword search for headcovering. You will be inundated with threads on the topic.

And yes - many women do cover their heads at Mass. The Church NEVER told us not to. ;)

~Liza

In the passage referred to, St. Paul closes by writing: "But if anyone is inclined to be argumentative, we do not have such a custom, nor do the churches of God." 1 Cor. 11:16

In other words, it is not an immemorial or immutable dictate from God, but rather a discipline subject to the custom of the churches of God. I would skip the opinions on the forums about what this means, as Jimmy Akin explains it quite well:
jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2004/07/head_coverings_.html

I cover my head at Mass (with a hat). I don't worry too much about why (I just felt a strong urge to cover my head so I grabbed a hat and have been wearing one for Mass ever since - I have tried to go without and I simply cannot make myself do it), although I do sometimes feel uncomfortable because there are no other covered heads in the Church at all it is nothing compared to how uncomfortable I feel when my head is uncovered. One of the nuns recently noticed my 'church' hat and gave me pins to put on it. Which I thought was terribly sweet :). I wasn't sure how everyone would feel about the hat since no one else wears one but that was kind of like a little gesture of approval and it made my week.

So that's my little story.

I agree with everyone else though, do a little search and you'll find tons of info about headcovering here. Just be warned that this is a very hot topic and people tend to get rather heated.

I cover my head most of the time with a scarf. At my parish most women wear mantillas, but personally I'm not a huge fan of them, so I stick with a plain old scarf. I just drape it over my head and throw one of the ends over my shoulder, falling in front of me. I wear it because I think it's appropriate in the house of God.

I think most people have a very ethnocentric view of head coverings. If you were to go to other Catholic Churches around the world, the idea of wearing a Spanish-origin European mantilla would make women uncomfortable and would probably be inappropriate. Personally, I would rather wear a pashmina, but that’s just me.

Head covering isn’t a church law, canon law, “rule,” etc. It’s personal conviction that should be done out of true intent. There are many women who don’t cover and that doesn’t mean they aren’t pursuing holiness and aren’t submissive to God. We need to remember that.

OH MY GOSH PEOPLE!!!! Why does it even MATTER what we are covering our heads with? Unless it's a stupid piece of kleenex just to punch the card, what does it matter what we (as women) cover our heads with in the presence of the Creator of the Universe??!!!

Lace
Pashmina
Hat
Scarf

Does it honestly matter???

NO.

What matters is the intent. WHY are we covering? WHO are we covering for?

STOP getting caught up in silly semantics and just discuss why it is that so many women have a visceral aversion to covering their heads in the presence of GOD.

Dang. It just gets so old sometimes, all this petty bickering I've seen for the past few years here on CAF over what and how we cover. That is soooooo not the point. The point is WHY, and for WHOM. Nothing else really matters. Nothing.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:7, topic:224922"]
Unless it's a stupid piece of kleenex just to punch the card...

STOP getting caught up in silly semantics and just discuss why it is that so many women have a visceral aversion to covering their heads in the presence of GOD.

[/quote]

THAT is why so many women have an aversion to head coverings, because it's been preached as if it was law by many, many people here on CAF. I have seen many women post in other forums as well, about how they thought it was ridiculous that women would resort to using tissues just to "punch the card," because that is what was taught.

Not to mention, we also get caught up in believing that all Catholic women should resort to the Westernized version of head coverings. In other parts of the world, women don't really cover. I spoke to another member here on CAF who has traveled abroad, and he told me that in Japan, some women wear needles.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention there is also the peripheral and subtle viewpoint espoused that suggest the women who don't cover aren't submissive enough, are disobedient, aren't respected, are something bad or something not enough. That's enough to turn any woman away from covering her head. Really, this entire topic gets more hung up on making sure that women practice it (because we all know that certain people like to swoop in and make sure women do so, or else), rather than discussing it from a faith perspective.

Those are just my observations.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Church make a concerted effort to bring back some of the older customs such as head-covering but until there was some official announcement stating that it is still a good idea then I don't see any reason to try and push women into it.

I have been aware of the arguments in favor of veiling for many years and yet it was only just recently that my own conscious pushed me in that directing.

that was the discipline in the 1st century
it is not the current discipline
if you feel an imperative to wear any headcovering, do it
just don’t be judgemental about what other women do or do not do

[quote="violet81, post:9, topic:224922"]
I wouldn't mind seeing the Church make a concerted effort to bring back some of the older customs such as head-covering but until there was some official announcement stating that it is still a good idea then I don't see any reason to try and push women into it.

I have been aware of the arguments in favor of veiling for many years and yet it was only just recently that my own conscious pushed me in that directing.

[/quote]

That should say conscience. It didn't let me modify.

Puzzleanne: I apologise if this thread seemed judgemental as you can see I am hoping to become catholic and did not realise that the subject of head covering was so controversial. I am really just trying to understand the teachings of the catholic church on the matter and just see what people on here think about it.

Thanks everyone else for your input.

fisheaters.com/theveil.html

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.