Heading to Athens

Hi,

I’m going to Athens for a few weeks soon, and I’ve never been there before. While I wouldn’t mind checking out a Greek orthodox church to see it, I want to go to Roman Catholic churches when possible. Are they easy to find there? Any that someone would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

While I wouldn’t mind checking out a Greek orthodox church to see it, I want to go to Roman Catholic churches when possible.

**Don’t forget, there are many Orthodox Churches of Greek and other ethnic groups in this country.

There are also some Greek Catholic churches in Athens using the Byzantine rite, but in communion with Rome.

Hope these links help:

athensconventionbureau.gr/?q=en/node/4774

faswebdesign.com/ECPA/Byzantine/Greek.html**

I know there is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Athens, but I don’t know where it is. When we were there we had two priests with us and celebrated Mass at the base of the Acropolis where St. Paul preached.

masstimes.org has locations and Mass times for churches around the world. Here’s the result for Athens:
masstimes.org/dotnet/showchurches.aspx?type=CITYRADIUS&q=&country=Greece&city=Athens&countrycode=GR&statecode=

Here is a website on the Catholic Church in Greece: cathecclesia.gr/hellas/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=99 Click on “Dioceses” then on the name of a specific diocese; several offer Mass schedules.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.