Headscratcher #2: Wanting people to be good

The Bible basically says that the world has to go to hell before the second coming can come to pass.

We, as Christians, are praying/hoping for that to happen.

Yet we get all upset about the world “going to hell” and people sinning and living immorally, etc.

How can we be advocating for everyone to live a moral life while knowing that, if they did, the prophesy of the second coming could never be fulfilled?

Anytime anyone says “the Bible basically says” There is much to be desired in what follows.

Let me ask you this. You have to die to go to heaven. Right? So should I pray that you die tonight?

No, because you don’t know what sort of state of grace I’m in. And if you prayed for me to die tonight you might be condemning me to hell if I hadn’t gotten to confession lately.

But that’s different from a general acceptance that the world has to get less religious and less moral before the second coming instead of being upset about it all the time.

Yesterday we celebrated the Early Martyrs. They were persecuted under Nero. Not only were they fed to the lions, but they were dipped in tar and used as human torches for banquets of Roman feasts.

Where does the Bible “basically” say it will get worse than that?

I take issue with your interpretation and outlook. To cheer sin, suffering and evil just because it has to happen is akin to cheering the crucifixion at the base of the cross.

Well, depending on how literal you want to be, the Bible says at some point most of the world is going to be following the antichrist. So I would say that is worse.

And I would say that, if people had realized what was actually going on at the crucifixion, they would have been cheering at the foot of the cross. Or at least looking up with intense admiration instead of sorrow.

Interesting topic. I have often wondered the same thing myself. I think in all we should just pray that God’s will be done. He knows better than us and He knows what it’s going to take to get us to heaven. If we pray that God’s will is done here on Earth and in our own lives than how can we go wrong?

Uhh… pardon? How do you reach that conclusion? Yes, there continues to be evil in the world; but, the Kingdom of God has already been inaugurated! We’re literally in the presence of Christ at Mass! God has sent us His Holy Spirit to be with us in our lives!

That’s hardly the description of a “world that basically has to go to hell”… :wink:

We, as Christians, are praying/hoping for that to happen.

We’re praying for the second coming, not the instances of sin in the world.

How can we be advocating for everyone to live a moral life while knowing that, if they did, the prophesy of the second coming could never be fulfilled?

Because it’s not the case that we want people to live immoral lives; it’s not the case that it’ll take the world “going to hell in a handbasket” for the second coming to occur. Jesus said that no one knows the day or hour – and that includes those who would attempt to ‘game the system’ by setting up conditions that they believe would hasten God’s hand… :wink:

That’s only if you follow the futurist school of thought in your interpretation of the Book of Revelation. :wink: The preterist school of thought interprets Revelation as being a symbolic description of the persecution of the early Christians (with Nero being the antichrist). Thus Catholics can legitimately hold that those parts of Revelation have already come to pass. :slight_smile:

Just because God draws good from evil things doesn’t mean we cheer on the evil in anticipation of the good to come. Evil is always evil.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.