Healing Mass. Licit?

On February this year I went to a pilgrimage and attended a healing mass on sunday. Few people attended mass as that place was quite far. The priest who celebrated the mass was very devout, he spent time before the Blessed Sacrament one hour before mass. The problem started when the priest celebrated mass. He did not wear his chasuble for the mass celebration, only the stole. Other things that made me unsatisfied were:

• The priest skipped the penitential act and if i'm not mistaken the Gloria as well and the priest substituted it with hymns that he composed himself
  • Right after the priest homily. The priest blessed all the religious articles presented before the foot of the altar by singing a hymn
  • The priest skipped the Prayer after Holy Communion and directly proceeded to the healing service. Singing hymn asking for healing and deliverance for all those attending
  • The EMHC and his wife started selling some of the Holy Pictures that were "blessed". I am not sure whether it was considered as donation or not as they had set the price tag for the Holy Pictures

Was this mass that I attended Licit? I was not satisfied at all after the mass ended. Sorry for my poor english as english is my second language :o

[quote="Damien88, post:1, topic:324011"]
On February this year I went to a pilgrimage and attended a healing mass on sunday. Few people attended mass as that place was quite far. The priest who celebrated the mass was very devout, he spent time before the Blessed Sacrament one hour before mass. The problem started when the priest celebrated mass. He did not wear his chasuble for the mass celebration, only the stole. Other things that made me unsatisfied were:

• The priest skipped the penitential act and if i'm not mistaken the Gloria as well and the priest substituted it with hymns that he composed himself
  • Right after the priest homily. The priest blessed all the religious articles presented before the foot of the altar by singing a hymn
  • The priest skipped the Prayer after Holy Communion and directly proceeded to the healing service. Singing hymn asking for healing and deliverance for all those attending
  • The EMHC and his wife started selling some of the Holy Pictures that were "blessed". I am not sure whether it was considered as donation or not as they had set the price tag for the Holy Pictures

Was this mass that I attended Licit? I was not satisfied at all after the mass ended. Sorry for my poor english as english is my second language :o

[/quote]

It sounds like there were definitely some illicit practices done during the mass. Selling blessed items? Perhaps the priest is ignorant (or exploiting the ignorance of the faithful) of the fact that an item, once sold, loses all blessings which may have been placed upon it.

Based on what you said, I cannot say whether or not it is valid, so I must assume for now that the mass said was valid, but gravely illicit.

You said this was on a pilgrimage. What pilgrimage?

IT really depends upon a lot of things.

[quote="ChibiViolet, post:3, topic:324011"]
It really depends upon a lot of things.

[/quote]

[quote="dshix, post:2, topic:324011"]
It sounds like there were definitely some illicit practices done during the mass. Selling blessed items? Perhaps the priest is ignorant (or exploiting the ignorance of the faithful) of the fact that an item, once sold, loses all blessings which may have been placed upon it.

Based on what you said, I cannot say whether or not it is valid, so I must assume for now that the mass said was valid, but gravely illicit.

You said this was on a pilgrimage. What pilgrimage?

[/quote]

It was a retreat + healing pilgrimage I suppose? We visited and stayed on a hilltop where the first Mill Hill Missionaries resided and evangelized in our place. However, no priest accompanied us for our retreat and it felt like it was the weirdest pilgrimage I've ever joined. We had too much free time for shopping in the city and I even had time meeting a friend

[quote="Damien88, post:5, topic:324011"]
It was a retreat + healing pilgrimage I suppose? We visited and stayed on a hilltop where the first Mill Hill Missionaries resided and evangelized in our place. However, no priest accompanied us for our retreat and it felt like it was the weirdest pilgrimage I've ever joined. We had too much free time for shopping in the city and I even had time meeting a friend

[/quote]

I'm still not quite sure what exactly you mean by "healing pilgrimage."

Physical healing? (miracles)
Mental healing? (psychological)
Spiritual healing? (Spiritual direction)

What claims were made by the leaders of this "retreat" as to what they were out to accomplish?

Physical healing. The retreat leader said that the retreat focused on increasing our faith in this year of faith. It was a four day retreat. The only thing we did were praying the rosary everyday, station of the cross once and sunday healing mass. It was a fruitless pilgrimage for me and I did not find the mass as spiritually uplifting

[quote="Damien88, post:7, topic:324011"]
Physical healing. The retreat leader said that the retreat focused on increasing our faith in this year of faith. It was a four day retreat. The only thing we did were praying the rosary everyday, station of the cross once and sunday healing mass. It was a fruitless pilgrimage for me and I did not find the mass as spiritually uplifting

[/quote]

Strange.

Well, I guess all I can say about that is: "Doesn't sound real."

It's possible there is some kind of healing going on, but by the sound of this it just sounds like the priest is a quack.

However, without further knowledge it is impossible for me (or anyone else on this forum) to reach a solid conclusion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.