Healing Service/Mass

I am thinking about visiting another parish this weekend. I have one in mind. On Wed. evenings there is a healing service and there is a healing Mass on every second Sunday of the month. So…what is a healing service and Mass? With all the parishes I am looking at this is the only one that has this.

Healing Masse are part of, or influenced by, the Catholic Charismatic Renewal movement. As far as I can tell, they are in part a pastoral provision for Charismatics, but it has become a more mainstream phenomenon that non-Charismatics also participate in, presumably in order to receive special graces. Sometimes the celebrant himself is Charismatic, but not always.

From what I’ve seen it’s a regular Mass except they have a time (usually at the end) where you go forward and have a priest or Charismatic layman lay hands on you and pray for healing. Sometimes, because Protestants may be present, the priest will use the rubics that allow explanations during the Mass of what’s going on in the liturgy, so it takes on a more informal air.

My mother was involved in Totus Tuus in the 80’s and 90’s, which was a charismatic prayer group in the Church. I grew up going to these Masses you speak of from time to time. The Bishop would come, because this was at our Cathedral. He would lay his hands on you and pray over you. I remember being a little scared as a kid, because some people would fall over after being prayed on, and I didn’t want it to happen to me. :o

You can call the Church office and ask about both the healing service and the healing Mass.

I’ve never belonged to a parish that offered this, but know of parishes that do have them.

They may be offering the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick during that service or Mass. I would think you should be Catholic before receiving the actual Sacrament.

I have heard this called being “slain in the Spirit”. Healing Mass/Services are really beautiful and if you have the opportunity to experience it, I say go! The ones that I have been to start with praise and worship music, Mass, and then exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and people can line up to go to the different healing prayer teams that are set up in different parts of the church. The prayer ministers were all Catholic and occasionally the priest who celebrates if he has the gift of healing, will participate, otherwise, they’ll leave after Mass.

Here are some links:

nsc-chariscenter.org/index.asp

apostlesofdivinemercy.org/testimonies/praise-reports/

youtube.com/watch?v=nXI1T0opuGE

Not all healing Masses are Charismatic Healing Masses.

Those which are not Charismatic, involve people going up to the priest, who lays hands on them and prays to God for their healing. Not much happens to the visible eye. My parish use to have a healing Mass, once a year The new pastor doesn’t have them.

A Charismatic Healing Mass, on the other hand, will have a Charismatic Priest praying over people, who will often be slain in the spirit. Some will claim a healing and every so often, you’ll actually witness a healing, as I did, when I saw a little 5 year old girl healed, after Fr Diorio prayed over her. That was back in 1976.

At such Masses, you’ll also see fanaticism and people claiming extraordinary things, which are obviously attached to their emotional ego,

Jim

1 Like

I was going to post something similar.

OP, I’d call the parish and see what information they can provide for you about the healing mass. I’ve been to both types and one is very subdued and the other is very musical and enthusiastic. Not everyone is attracted to the latter due to misunderstandings about the Catholic Charismatic Movement, which should not be confused with Pentecostal services. You might want to do a little searching on the internet as well to just for the education.

The moment I read that term, it came back to me. That is exactly what it was referred to as. “Slain in the Spirit”. As an adult, I regret my childish fear even though I understand why I was afraid. I haven’t seen a Mass like it in at least 20 years.

It is usually a service or mass that is offered for healing…mainly for physical well being…i think the priest also, either after the reading of the gospel, or after communion…will offer the placing of oil on a part of the body that is ailing. It is not actually the annointing of the sick.

But do ask the parish for more details.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.